If any performance issues, please let us know. Thank you.
My name is Radu Ungureanu and I am the developer of Blinding Dark. I did the programming and 2D graphics while I had different people working on the 3D graphics, animations, sounds and voice over.
I always dreamed to play more games like Clive Barker’s: Undying, but I found out that the horror genre had a sudden change in direction which moved away from these niche games. As soon as Amnesia franchise started to pick up I saw an opportunity for a new mix. The general conception is that as soon as you have weapons to fight with, the horror part of the game fades away. I think this is incorrect and Blinding Dark is my attempt to prove otherwise. Scarce ammunition, powerful enemies and limited options to recover health, creates a lot of tension and fear of death. Pair this up with the fact that there is a serious repercussion when dying and you have the danger/tension element back in the game.
First, we would like to introduce you to the main character in Blinding Dark:
When you begin playing the game, you don’t know anything about the character. All you discover is that he has a strange mask stuck on his face. How he got here? What’s with the mask? Who he was before all this? Questions you will discover by playing the full game.
The aim will be to have the ability to see the players body when in first person, similar to games like Oultast. This is a difficult element to introduce in a game due to various problems created by the camera - model interaction. We will try our best to have it working for the final release.
Changelog for this week:
- re-made the torch physics system. Now it is attached as a weapon due to multiple issues it was creating throughout the level.
- remade the mesh collider and tweaked the character physics in order for the character not to get stuck on circular stairs anymore
- tweaked some of the sounds, mostly sounds coming from footsteps, environment and weapons
- re-organised the inventory. The wall breaker weapon was replaced with the Torch Carrier. The torch carrier also has a secondary ability where it summons a levitating burning skull that casts light for some time. This consumes mana. Also, made the ax to be the first weapon of the inventory, while the revolver is the second (like in most FPS games)
- replaced the hand icon with a more human looking one
- corrected and improved the system designed to craft and carry items around so it will be less prone to failure in case the player tries to break it.
- improved the movement of the platforms (trains and elevators)
- re-organised a bit the checkpoint system. This will be under continuous tweaking.
- re-worked a bit the collision layers for different gameworld props so that no bullet holes will be created on them.
- improved the precision of the revolver. Should be easier now to make stuff explode.
- improved save system even further and now includes also the triggers within a level
- re-worked the GUI information system. Now the text is more consistent with the overall game art and is more clear to read.
- re-named the info regarding mana augmentator to clear up some possible confusion
Feedback regarding this builds performance is essential. Please let us know by using the usual channels:
You can download the demo from the Downloads section or from the following links:
Thanks a lot for joining in this week and don't forget to track the game if you like it: