Been a while, you might say? With the successful release of Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries 3.1 and the few screws Vam had to adjust on MTX to deliver such...
Assault Tech 1: Battletech, or AT1:BT for short and as better known, is an independent, non commercial Activision's MechWarrior 2 series remake using a more advanced DirectX 7 graphics engine, BlitzBasic's Blitz3D ( Blitzbasic.com )
Not only it includes aspects from the classic game, but combines the best gameplay details from the three most popular MechWarrior games (Mechwarrior 2/3/4) as well as it implements new Classic Battletech rules that were long awaited by most die-hard Battletech fans, and looks forward to include even more control over other types of units aside from the well known 'Mechs.
Like in the classic game, the storyline-timeline is based around the refusal war between the Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf and also currently including its post-war expansion: Ghost Bear's Legacy.
While not as impacting as the free release of MW4, the AT1 update "Dasher" (version 188.8.131.522) released on MTX features improvements and bugfixes mostly focused on what our players have suggested and encountered, respectively:
- Mechlab changes: added the advanced criticals section for those items that could not get added automatically to certain mech parts.
- Animation blending, mostly visible while the mech walks-runs.
- Minimal graphics settings available for users with lower-end machines.
- Improved input settings: multiple joystick support.
- Changes on the interface design: the menus now use pixel-relative scales according to how big your screen is, much like the way websites work.
- New shadows rendering method (hopefully, faster)
- New mechs: Firemoth and Shadowcat.
- Instant action menu now autofills your newly created starmates with random mechs in order to make the "action" more "instant".
- New keymapping commands have been added to the game but wont appear if you keep your old input.at1 file; in order to restore the default keyboard and joystick input and thus gain access to the new keystrokes (such as radar display mode) delete input.at1 file on your game directory after patch installation and let AT1 restore it on the next launch.
- Keyboard torso twist feature.
- AT1 torso twist style (torso twists when mouse reaches near the edge of the screen) and ability to change between this and the old one.
- HUD color customization: no more forced green and yellow.
- "God rays" effect.
- New cockpit artwork for a few mechs other than the MadDog. We will be adding the rest in as updates come.
- Legging; get ready to bite on dirt. Still experimental and only three mechs (MadDog, Timberwolf and Stormcrow) feature the animations for it. Other mechs will suffer from legging too, but will feature a normal and slower walk animation. This also means leg actuator damage does manifest in this version.
- Keymaps now properly use combined strokes without having conflics. EG you can use Ctrl+Z and Z alone for different functions.
- MASC allocation bug on the empty varians has been taken care of.
- AI behaviors corrected for their close range combat.
- Clan LRM missiles now have a reduced flying arch, the closer their target is.
- Critical hits now are based on 2D6 rolls (and damage amount on the part where the critical resides) to mimic the board game rules.
- No more "unassigned criticals" bug. See above in "Improvements" for details.
- Mechlab memory use has been decreased by unloading mech visuals not on display; this however causes a bit of a pause each time a mech is fetched from the mech list.
You can choose to either download our update via MTX Client or Use the MTX Extract and Patch Utility. The MTX Client should always be simpler to obtain the latest update!
MTX Client Download
The MTX Client ensures all software released by MekTek.net is up to date.
Latest Download (v.184.108.40.206): Click Here
MTX Extract and Patch Utility
MTX File Extract and Patch Utility. Provides an easy patching mechanism.
Latest Download (v.0.0.1.5): Click Here
Patches Download Via Torrent Client
You may download all the of the following patches via your favorite torrent client (such as utorrent). Please continue seeding these files when not playing your game.
Installing 220.127.116.111 - Date May 16th, 2010
These files will update any existing installation of AT1. Select the file that will update your current version, or use the FULL Install (version 18.104.22.16813). After downloading the .mtx files from these torrents, you can use the MTX Extract and Patch Utility to create the AT1:BT game installation.