3DBE is an indie game around engineering and constructing. Creating ingenious architecture and mechanics in a physicalized world by combining materials like beams, ropes, interactive hydraulics and street segments. Construct one of the endless possible constructions and make them move, maybe through a selfmade world or space created in the leveleditor. In a mission campaign you will have to drive a truck over the bridges just made before. Bridges in the meaning to connect one point to another. This could be a bow bridge over a river, a crane to lift the truck up a mountain, a cable car to bridge a canyon or whatever is possible to realise with a limited amount of credits. So its important to build wise to get stability, -otherwise you could see an impressive collapse of the construction. To make this possible i work on the easiest accessable 3D editor to place and connect the materials.
Last thinkings on the game and some technical updates.
Posted by .Robert on Mar 16th, 2013
Two things coming up sometimes when i show this game are: "why is there no shooting in the game?" as well as "and isn´t it to complex for the masses?"
Ok, its a bit simple minded to think every game needs guns. The other thing is the ovious complexity of 3DBE and the difficulty to use the brain for something creative.
I spent a lot of time on 3DBe to make the handling and 3D constructioning accessable for everyone, but on the other hand i understand that someone who is coming from a hard working day with a need to relax, possibly can´t invent a new kind of a walking robot. (Maybe thats more a thing to do for the weekend)
Fortunately the game is very flexible.
Means this question can be answered by the leveldesign by offering a wide range of different levels.
In the way that you can clearly choose between more simple levels giving more the play effect in learning and the more serious levels where you can find solutions for the future technologies.
- so what i do on the leveldesign is to add a menu where you chose from different campaigns.
these campaigns will be short with 3 levels for the easier tasks and sometimes longer for more technical subjects. So the campaings can have very different subjects in the difficulty, in what kind of things you build, or there could whole stories be told in a various range of levels.
- the shadows system has changed to a more flexible solution, also with softer shadow, where i can use more lights and still have a better performance because of a faster calculation. It can also partly be precalculated.
- a much better performance was reached with a kind of grouping for the leveleditormade elements, so that the behaviours for each elements are calculated more effective now.
- another thing i already wanted to do for a long time was the reduction of active operations in the constructions engine. And there is some more to do.
- the shading of the leveleditormade triangles, as it was still wrong. Its a flat shading now, but gives more atmosphere to the scenes.
- the missionbuilding and setting the goals in the leveleditor. And to make the mission playable in the game.