Forum Thread
Zbrush base mesh import problems from Max2009 (Forums : 3D Modeling & Animating : Zbrush base mesh import problems from Max2009) Locked
Thread Options
May 14 2009 Anchor

Hey, I have been having some issues from taking a Retopo-ed mesh out from ZBrush, creating the UVs in 3DS 2k9, and then re-importing the base mesh in order to project normals and displacement mapping. I have been successfully able to re-import the base mesh, but when I move up a Subdivision level, the model explodes.

I have tried numerous methods that have worked for others. namely:
-Selecting both (or a combination of)( Merge UVs (on the export tool) and Merge points (on the import tool) during exporting and importing.
-Selecting the Zbrush export option in the .obj exporter
-Unchecking the Optomize section and Flip X and Y

All have not worked for me yet.

Does anyone have a good workflow to go between Zbrush and Max 2k9?

May 14 2009 Anchor

I've been there.

There's two (working) solutions that I've used, I'm going to detail the better of the two.

- Import your new .obj (exported from max with the new UVs) into Zbrush by itself, do not re-introduce it into the subdivision history (of the original mesh).
- Append your hi-resolution model as a sub-tool of the new lo-res file
- use the move and scale tools to re-orient the original hi-res mesh (sub-tool) to share the scale and position of the new base mesh (if they don't match up)
- subdivide the new base mesh until its poly count matches or exceeds that of the original (sub-tool). I usually turn off smoothing during the subdivision process for this step, but I don't think it matters much.
- With the main tool (new) still selected, and the sub-tool still visible, hit the "projectAll" button on the Tool > SubTool menu

This will map the old geometry onto your new mesh and work with your new UVs. You will have a completely new subdivision history. If you had polypainting that you want to save from the old model, at this point, you can select the ZProject brush (turn off ZAdd, set RBG or MRGB to 100) and simply give the new tool a once over while the subtool is still selected.

Hope this helps.

May 14 2009 Anchor

Dude, you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I never even though about using Sub Tools. Works like a charm.

--

..::Texture Arist :: Promotional Artist ::.. 
Tiberian Dawn

May 14 2009 Anchor

Good job; welcome to Moddb, Greg.

May 14 2009 Anchor

I'm glad it worked for you - I know the feeling when you drop your new base mesh in, and watch it literally explode.

Thanks for the welcome ngs616.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.