Themes
Forum Thread
by member
Will you play Halo 4? (Forums : Console Gaming : Will you play Halo 4?) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Aug 15 2011, 3:01pm Anchor

You know, a lot of the people who worked on Halo are at 343 studios now. And wasn't 343 made just for making Halo games? I still don't think the game will be a flop, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Aug 15 2011, 3:38pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:You know, a lot of the people who worked on Halo are at 343 studios now. And wasn't 343 made just for making Halo games? I still don't think the game will be a flop, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Just because we can make halo 4 doesn't mean we should.

--

All posts are phase shifted and routed through the main deflector dish for quality assurance purposes.

Aug 15 2011, 3:39pm Anchor
masternerdguy wrote:Just because we can make halo 4 doesn't mean we should.

Just because they are, doesn't mean that it'll be bad.

Aug 15 2011, 3:43pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:Just because we can make halo 4 doesn't mean we should.

Just because they are, doesn't mean that it'll be bad.

They said the same about Crysis 2.

--

All posts are phase shifted and routed through the main deflector dish for quality assurance purposes.

Aug 15 2011, 3:44pm Anchor

Crysis 1 wasn't very good either, so I didn't have high expectations for the second.(Which I have not played)

Aug 15 2011, 3:46pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:Crysis 1 wasn't very good either, so I didn't have high expectations for the second.(Which I have not played)

The point is that Halo is clearly entering the money grubb'n phase of its life cycle. Therefore I don't have high expectations either.
This is just like the Starwars prequels, if that helps with what I'm trying to convey.

--

Aug 15 2011, 3:49pm Anchor

That makes sense, although I wouldn't say that the SW prequels were money grabs. The Clone Wars sure was, but Lucas had always thought about doing prequels.

Aug 15 2011, 3:57pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:That makes sense, although I wouldn't say that the SW prequels were money grabs. The Clone Wars sure was, but Lucas had always thought about doing prequels.

I feel like we have to let intellectual property run its course, and then move on to something new. New, refreshing, ideas is why I'm a member of this site and why I love modding. Unfortunately we live in a world where people prefer to rehash existing IP rather than innovate, and that is a bit sad. Halo, at one time, was brand new as an IP, so it's not like people can't come up with this stuff. They just don't want to.

Also, I think Lucas could have saved his prequels if he had put just a little more thought into it. He should have used models like in the other 3 movies (the effects aren't bad, it looks more realistic than the CGI used in his films, it also helps keep the series "consistent") and not introduced JarJar :) The stories themselves aren't terrible, but the implementation is.

--

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 15 2011, 4:56pm Anchor
masternerdguy wrote:
GarynDakari wrote:That makes sense, although I wouldn't say that the SW prequels were money grabs. The Clone Wars sure was, but Lucas had always thought about doing prequels.

I feel like we have to let intellectual property run its course, and then move on to something new. New, refreshing, ideas is why I'm a member of this site and why I love modding. Unfortunately we live in a world where people prefer to rehash existing IP rather than innovate, and that is a bit sad. Halo, at one time, was brand new as an IP, so it's not like people can't come up with this stuff. They just don't want to.

Also, I think Lucas could have saved his prequels if he had put just a little more thought into it. He should have used models like in the other 3 movies (the effects aren't bad, it looks more realistic than the CGI used in his films, it also helps keep the series "consistent") and not introduced JarJar :) The stories themselves aren't terrible, but the implementation is.

You are...

Finally someone gets it! I loved some of the concepts they could have gone with in Episode 1 (honestly, they could have done it far more like KotOR). Lucas never seems to think more than 2 steps ahead (and only when it means he'll make more money) anymore, especially with his wonky idea for Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull.

I will state though that sometimes rehashing is worth it (take Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, for an example), but yes, finally just make something new and creative and put some actual thought in it.

I also love the thing about EVE in yer sig.

Aug 15 2011, 5:04pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:

Yeah, for obvious reasons I no longer play EVE.

I will admit the the Nolan Batman movies are good.

--

TheUnabridgedGamer
Aug 15 2011, 6:25pm Anchor
masternerdguy wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:

I frankly can respect -some- of the EVE concepts -- such as letting the game world generally run itself -- but there are some ideas in their design that just come up as "do you remember that it's just a game?". One of the most recent was the PS3 tie-in game. The sheer fact you have to buy the same ammo and weapons for every respawn is insane -- you have no idea what you're walking into, and one of the head devs even said he had to set up like 20-50 equipment sets just for one battle. That's not realism, that's just being a pain in the arse about forgiving someone for dying. I mean, is the player even allowed to strip their previous corpse of its armor? Or loot any other dead players? Unless they have something like that, I may not even buy in.

And with that, I return to the subject. Apologies, just wanted to speak my piece here real quick.

Aug 15 2011, 7:03pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:

I frankly can respect -some- of the EVE concepts -- such as letting the game world generally run itself -- but there are some ideas in their design that just come up as "do you remember that it's just a game?". One of the most recent was the PS3 tie-in game. The sheer fact you have to buy the same ammo and weapons for every respawn is insane -- you have no idea what you're walking into, and one of the head devs even said he had to set up like 20-50 equipment sets just for one battle. That's not realism, that's just being a pain in the arse about forgiving someone for dying. I mean, is the player even allowed to strip their previous corpse of its armor? Or loot any other dead players? Unless they have something like that, I may not even buy in.

And with that, I return to the subject. Apologies, just wanted to speak my piece here real quick.

I liked EVE for its open pvp sandbox world and lax rules on griefing and scamming. The more recent moves really put me off, especially the NeX store and DUST.

--

Aug 20 2011, 12:05pm Anchor

Has there even been an IP that actually was laid to rest permanently? The more I think about it, the more I realize that almost every game ends up as a franchise any more, and that there are hardly any new IP's that are in the making.

Joe_Shmoe
Joe_Shmoe working on something =P
Aug 20 2011, 2:27pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:Has there even been an IP that actually was laid to rest permanently? The more I think about it, the more I realize that almost every game ends up as a franchise any more, and that there are hardly any new IP's that are in the making.

At one time there was... It was called duke nukem... it should have remained dead lol, but on the other hand, heretic and hexen IP's are laid to rest, no word yet that of any plans for future titles, which I hope remains so, because more likely it would end up like duke nukem -sigh-

Aug 20 2011, 3:07pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:Has there even been an IP that actually was laid to rest permanently? The more I think about it, the more I realize that almost every game ends up as a franchise any more, and that there are hardly any new IP's that are in the making.

There hasn't been a Wing Commander game in a long time. Or a Midtown Madness game. (Just naming ones off the top of my head)

TheUnabridgedGamer
Aug 20 2011, 6:12pm Anchor

Any Lucas Arts game that was actually quality (as of 2004-2005).

Hmm...

There's Killer Sev7n, and XIII. Although a bit of their style has been taken from Borderlands (from what I've seen of pictures of the games)

That one game for the PS2 by Traveler's Tales that was essentially all genres in one game.

Enslaved: Journey to the West

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Jade Empire (although lots of people would prefer otherwise...)

Almost every movie-game known to man? (generally almost every single one deserving no right to be played in the first place).

Edited by: TheUnabridgedGamer

Aug 20 2011, 7:28pm Anchor

I think it's too early to count Jade Empire and Enslaved as permanently dead...There were plans for a JE2, but people liked Mass Effect and Dragon Age more, so that's what they're doing now. Now the sequel is on hold, possibly forever. As for Enslaved, I heard something about "The door might not be shut on an enslaved sequel" from the devs. Who knows...

Tha_14
Tha_14 The Master,Your Master!
Sep 4 2011, 12:53pm Anchor

Never played it...........

--

Sep 4 2011, 5:12pm Anchor

I'll play Halo 4, I already have the other Halo's (Other than Halo Wars)

MrTaxikiller
MrTaxikiller Bow Chicka Bow Wow
Sep 4 2011, 9:31pm Anchor

I'm sure going to buy Halo 4 I have every Halo that is available (Halo Combat Evolved PC, Halo Combat Evolved Xbox, Halo 2, Halo 2 Limted Edition, Halo 2 Multiplayer Mappack, Halo 2 Vista, Halo 3, Halo 3 limited Edition, Halo 3 Collectors Edition, Halowars Limted Edition, Halowars, Halo 3 ODST, Limited Edition, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Rech Limited Edition, Halo Reach Collectors Edition, Halo Reach.) What I dont get is that they already enough Halo 5 + 6 without even have a retail Halo 4, what if Halo 4 is going to sold bad and get bad reviews when its got released? you make a crappy game and because you said we are going to make Halo 5 + 6 people are not expecting much of it anymore because Halo 4 was just bad, I'm not saying that it is going to be bad but its weird to already enough 2 more games without finish your first project.

TheUnabridgedGamer
Sep 4 2011, 9:33pm Anchor
Taxikiller wrote:I'm sure going to buy Halo 4 I have every Halo that is available (Halo Combat Evolved PC, Halo Combat Evolved Xbox, Halo 2, Halo 2 Limted Edition, Halo 2 Multiplayer Mappack, Halo 2 Vista, Halo 3, Halo 3 limited Edition, Halo 3 Collectors Edition, Halowars Limted Edition, Halowars, Halo 3 ODST, Limited Edition, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Rech Limited Edition, Halo Reach Collectors Edition, Halo Reach.) What I dont get is that they already enough Halo 5 + 6 without even have a retail Halo 4, what if Halo 4 is going to sold bad and get bad reviews when its got released? you make a crappy game and because you said we are going to make Halo 5 + 6 people are not expecting much of it anymore because Halo 4 was just bad, I'm not saying that it is going to be bad but its weird to already enough 2 more games without finish your first project.

You have three or more copies of every game?

Err... why?

Sep 4 2011, 9:49pm Anchor
Taxikiller wrote:I'm sure going to buy Halo 4 I have every Halo that is available (Halo Combat Evolved PC, Halo Combat Evolved Xbox, Halo 2, Halo 2 Limted Edition, Halo 2 Multiplayer Mappack, Halo 2 Vista, Halo 3, Halo 3 limited Edition, Halo 3 Collectors Edition, Halowars Limted Edition, Halowars, Halo 3 ODST, Limited Edition, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Rech Limited Edition, Halo Reach Collectors Edition, Halo Reach.) What I dont get is that they already enough Halo 5 + 6 without even have a retail Halo 4, what if Halo 4 is going to sold bad and get bad reviews when its got released? you make a crappy game and because you said we are going to make Halo 5 + 6 people are not expecting much of it anymore because Halo 4 was just bad, I'm not saying that it is going to be bad but its weird to already enough 2 more games without finish your first project.

That's quite the investment in Halo...

Sep 5 2011, 9:26am Anchor

That's quite impressive Taxikiller, I haven't met anyone who bought all editions of the games. That's some amazing devotion.

About announcing another trilogy, as quoted by ambershee, "...want their killer app on their next console". It's not really about the quality anymore, mostly about the money. What would Microsucks next console be without a Halo to go with it?

AssassinAlex18
AssassinAlex18 International Super Spy
Sep 5 2011, 11:01am Anchor

And I Thought I was a die hard Halo fan for owning at least one copy of every game. Guess I was wrong.

--

Christopher, You've been diagnosed with what we call here, Crazy.

DragonBorn

Minecraft FM

Sep 5 2011, 3:27pm Anchor

Hey, dude, there are other games besides halo :)

--

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.