Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
Will you play Halo 4? (Forums : Console Gaming : Will you play Halo 4?) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Jul 28 2011, 5:38pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:I am the guy who argues story (sometimes) over gameplay...

We have a LOT in common. :P

Anyway, what's all this about his changing character? I hadn't heard anything about that until this thread...

Jul 28 2011, 6:34pm Anchor

I will not play Halo 4, I will not play Halo Reach, I will not play ODST, I will not play Wars. It was a trilogy. Everything past the first three have just been milking the series.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 28 2011, 6:46pm Anchor
ebol4 wrote:I will not play Halo 4, I will not play Halo Reach, I will not play ODST, I will not play Wars. It was a trilogy. Everything past the first three have just been milking the series.

I played the demo for Wars.

I'd love it on my PC. You can still run over grunts with your warthog. It's a bloody special ability!

Jul 29 2011, 9:41am Anchor
RagingCarpet wrote:No, I think they're just milking the franchise now, it's ridiculous. Bungie has stopped making them, so let it die.

That is exactly what I thought... just let it die honorably.

ebol4 wrote:I will not play Halo 4, I will not play Halo Reach, I will not play ODST, I will not play Wars. It was a trilogy. Everything past the first three have just been milking the series.

Well, at least give Wars a try. It was the last game by one of my favorite studios - dear Ensemble, maker of AoE - and it would be a shame to not play it because it wasn't a main Halo. It's sad to hear that you won't play Reach... Reach is a great game, and by far the best Halo in terms of graphics and game-play. Give Bungie a chance on it.

GarynDakari wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:I am the guy who argues story (sometimes) over gameplay...

We have a LOT in common. :P

Anyway, what's all this about his changing character? I hadn't heard anything about that until this thread...


It's 343's new direction. They want to bring out more of the psychological damage the the chief gained from the war, make him a deeper character, and turn it into another trilogy, and you know what I think?...

...F*** you Microsoft. You turned a grand jewel of gaming into a money making engine.

Edited by: x3nu

Jul 29 2011, 1:12pm Anchor
Icedecknight wrote:When I heard they announced it I was like "Yep, another Call of Duty Clone" and when I say that I don't mean gameplay or storyline but more referring to how they do this to a franchise so they can hoard as much money as possible until people realize they're idiots for spending 100's$ on the same game.

Ragincarpet wrote:No, I think they're just milking the franchise now, it's ridiculous. Bungie has stopped making them, so let it die.

l0rdx3nu wrote:You turned a grand jewel of gaming into a money making engine.

Why is everyone acting like it's going to be terrible? It might be, but I for one am at least going to give it a chance before saying anything bad like that. All the others have been good, so why not this one?

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 29 2011, 2:10pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:
Icedecknight wrote:When I heard they announced it I was like "Yep, another Call of Duty Clone" and when I say that I don't mean gameplay or storyline but more referring to how they do this to a franchise so they can hoard as much money as possible until people realize they're idiots for spending 100's$ on the same game.

Ragincarpet wrote:No, I think they're just milking the franchise now, it's ridiculous. Bungie has stopped making them, so let it die.

l0rdx3nu wrote:You turned a grand jewel of gaming into a money making engine.

Why is everyone acting like it's going to be terrible? It might be, but I for one am at least going to give it a chance before saying anything bad like that. All the others have been good, so why not this one?


I'd love for it to be great. I'd love for Halo to continue being good.

I'd also love Lucas Arts behave like they did back during the Monkey Island days, and I'd like Xbox 360 games to work on my PC, like they keep rumouring.

Jul 29 2011, 2:39pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:Why is everyone acting like it's going to be terrible? It might be, but I for one am at least going to give it a chance before saying anything bad like that. All the others have been good, so why not this one?

For me, its because I firmly believe what made Halo great was Bungie. Its also in part that I think Halo has pretty much ran its course. There's just not much left they can do (other than reboot Marathon, like ambershee said), but yet they are still going to pump out another trilogy.

There is the possibility that Halo 4 is actually a great game. 343 has hired former Bungie employees, and supposedly the story was approved by Bungie. But that doesn't change the fact that they are milking the series now, and that is why I have a grudge against it.

Jul 29 2011, 4:37pm Anchor

I didn't say it was going to be bad, but again like the CoD series it just going to be the same thing over and over again. I do hope you're right though, and if is really good I give a better attempt at playing it.

Jul 29 2011, 4:48pm Anchor

I'll play them, but I'm certainly not giving them my money.

Jul 29 2011, 6:26pm Anchor

Only ever played Halo at one time at Toys R Us.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 29 2011, 8:37pm Anchor
arieas wrote:Only ever played Halo at one time at Toys R Us.

Yeah, and I only played Motor Storm once at a demo kiosk.

Now I have a Wii and PS3 to go along with my gaming PC...

And now, rather ironically, have gotten my hands on Motorstorm.

Edited by: TheUnabridgedGamer

Jul 31 2011, 11:03pm Anchor

Played every Halo so far... ODST was alright, but reach was AMAZING. I'm interestd top see how the new one will be. Could be great, if they get the right people

Aug 1 2011, 2:43am Anchor

wow i just realized that at the end of halo 3 there is a mysterious "planet", but then at the end of the halo 4 trailer there is that big round space-ship thing that is shaped like a planet.... interesting, isn't it? the "planet" at the end of halo 3 is actually that giant spaceship at the end of the halo 4 trailer..... interesting....

btw i will play halo 4 when i get the chance.... :D

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 1 2011, 9:06pm Anchor
camycamera wrote:wow i just realized that at the end of halo 3 there is a mysterious "planet", but then at the end of the halo 4 trailer there is that big round space-ship thing that is shaped like a planet.... interesting, isn't it? the "planet" at the end of halo 3 is actually that giant spaceship at the end of the halo 4 trailer..... interesting....

btw i will play halo 4 when i get the chance.... :D



Technically speaking, Chief, Cortana, and the ship were all floating through space for only God knows how long -- so it's very likely that they've just gotten that much closer. The ship seemed to be floating at a very slow rate, so perhaps it merely fell into orbit. Then it's orbit began to decay, and that set something (possible fuel reserves) off, moving the ship on its collision course.

Look at it this way: its less a wonky explanation than how Alien 3 is supposed to happen.

Aug 15 2011, 4:38am Anchor

I am likely to at least try it because I'm VERY curious to see what a different company will do with it, since Bungie will not be making this one. Will they change the game engine at all? Add new gameplay mechanics? Drastic graphics change or mostly the same? New alien races? Will it be better than the originals or will it be a disaster?

When it comes to new, I am Curious George, regardless of expectations.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 15 2011, 8:39am Anchor

New gameplay mechanics is a must -- and based upon the opening trailer, they seem to be adding a grenade launching feature to the pistol, along with adding the ability to fly in space (ala Dead Space 2).

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Aug 15 2011, 8:48am Anchor

It's a trailer. I wouldn't count on it necessarily being an indication of gameplay mechanics.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 15 2011, 9:39am Anchor
ambershee wrote:It's a trailer. I wouldn't count on it necessarily being an indication of gameplay mechanics.


Halo 3's trailer showed Master Chief picking the assault rifle back up, sprinting, and using that bubble shield thing.

Joe_Shmoe
Joe_Shmoe working on something =P
Aug 15 2011, 11:11am Anchor

I dont like halo very much, I don't even bother playing it (just played Halo 3 co-op with a mate... twas a last resort since at the time we exhausted all other co-op games)... In fact I couldn't care less what they do with the franchise and how bad it sucks, because one thing is for sure... Red vs Blue will always be awesome... Thats the only halo I ever get to enjoy :) Gosh, I wish it was a game... Tex would so kick master chiefs arse :ninja:

Youtube.com (a sneak preview for those that dont know REDvsBLUE)

--

User Posted Image

"Mapping is like a book, a map should tell a story without the need to explain anything to the player, instead it should immerse the player into a virtual world and let their imagination do the rest"

Aug 15 2011, 11:34am Anchor

This works as a better RvB trailer, IMO: Youtube.com

Yup, RvB is totally awesome :D

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 15 2011, 11:36am Anchor
Joe_Shmoe wrote:I dont like halo very much, I don't even bother playing it (just played Halo 3 co-op with a mate... twas a last resort since at the time we exhausted all other co-op games)... In fact I couldn't care less what they do with the franchise and how bad it sucks, because one thing is for sure... Red vs Blue will always be awesome... Thats the only halo I ever get to enjoy :) Gosh, I wish it was a game... Tex would so kick master chiefs arse :ninja:

Youtube.com (a sneak preview for those that dont know REDvsBLUE)



...then why did you buy Halo 3 in the first place? That seems a bit oxymoronic (and Halo is based off of a gameplay model that several FPS games use -- but it also adds on several other things. It isn't perfect, but neither is HL2 or even Team Fortress 2). And for those who don't know, an oxymoron is something that seems completely opposite to how it should be. A bit like irony, but it's a bit more obvious and in clear contrast.

RvB was the first thing to get me interested in Halo, but it wouldn't be good as a game. Not only does the story not allow for it (aside from that one-off video for that seemingly non-existent animated series that they showed off at PAX a few years ago), but you'd more likely end up with something like a Telltale episodic game rather than a shooter. The reason RvB is becoming as good as it is, as of now, is because it really is just either wacky or over the top impressive -- neither of these things can I really think of when I think of Halo (Halo is about making you say "Woah..." *mushroom cloud looms overhead* not "Holy crap! How did they pull that off?!" Killzone is somewhere in the middle, based on what I've seen,.).

Aug 15 2011, 11:36am Anchor

no.

--

All posts are phase shifted and routed through the main deflector dish for quality assurance purposes.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Aug 15 2011, 11:39am Anchor
masternerdguy wrote:no.

Youtube.com

I'm gonna guess this is how you view the entire franchise's future.

Joe_Shmoe
Joe_Shmoe working on something =P
Aug 15 2011, 1:11pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:...then why did you buy Halo 3 in the first place? That seems a bit oxymoronic

Joe_Shmoe wrote:(just played Halo 3 co-op with a mate... twas a last resort since at the time we exhausted all other co-op games)...

Edited by: Joe_Shmoe

--

User Posted Image

"Mapping is like a book, a map should tell a story without the need to explain anything to the player, instead it should immerse the player into a virtual world and let their imagination do the rest"

Aug 15 2011, 2:55pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:no.

Youtube.com

I'm gonna guess this is how you view the entire franchise's future.


If you're implying it will crash and burn, it will. And rightfully so.
Oh well, it should be entertaining to watch. Especially because of all the denial, people won't want to hate it so they'll do mental gymnastics to try and save the game in their own minds.

Oh, it will be funny.

--

All posts are phase shifted and routed through the main deflector dish for quality assurance purposes.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.