Forum Thread
by member
Will you play Halo 4? (Forums : Console Gaming : Will you play Halo 4?) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jul 24 2011, 3:03pm Anchor

Yes. If they have a serious hardware failure they do not display the three red LEDs, although hardware failures other than disk drive failures are rare in any 360 manufactured in the past 3 years or so.

Jul 24 2011, 4:29pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:My intention is to play someone else's 360, and co-op through what I (and Garyn) have missed of Halo.

That *was* my plan for a while...My brother owns an Xbox, and I played most of Halo 2 on there co-op after playing the first on my PC. Then he moved to Washington, so that put an end to game nights. A while later I got a new computer with Windows 7, and I played Halo 2 there. Maybe I'll go visit him sometime and highjack his Xbox, lol.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 24 2011, 10:41pm Anchor
ambershee wrote:Yes. If they have a serious hardware failure they do not display the three red LEDs, although hardware failures other than disk drive failures are rare in any 360 manufactured in the past 3 years or so.

Amazon.com

Observe the one image with notes.

Now explain that to me -- because that certainly looks like a RRoD, and I doubt someone would honestly want to mod their console so that it would appear to have RRoD. That is counter intuitive on multiple levels.

ambershee
Jul 25 2011, 4:59am Anchor

That usually shows in the event of an E68 hardware error; it means the console does not have enough power to function properly. It usually happens if you have too many things plugged into the console (e.g USB things like iPods) or the hard drive fan is sucking up too much juice.

TheUnabridgedGamer
Jul 27 2011, 9:12am Anchor
ambershee wrote:That usually shows in the event of an E68 hardware error; it means the console does not have enough power to function properly. It usually happens if you have too many things plugged into the console (e.g USB things like iPods) or the hard drive fan is sucking up too much juice.

Forgive me, but that still doesn't convince me that my 300 dollars will go to something long lasting. Somehow, I'll console myself with Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Killzone, Journey, and Flower.

ambershee
Jul 27 2011, 9:18am Anchor

Ironically, my Ps3 died last night with a flashing red light, aged 12 weeks.

Jul 27 2011, 9:30am Anchor

I've followed the series since Halo 1 and buyed all the games, so yes.
There are obviously better games out there  but halo was always in the 80% Score for me.

TheUnabridgedGamer
Jul 27 2011, 9:56am Anchor
ambershee wrote:Ironically, my Ps3 died last night with a flashing red light, aged 12 weeks.

Record rate of PS3 failures -- (last recording by a British magazine) 0.5%

Record rate of Xbox 360 failures -- 52.4%

That does not make me confident in  Microsoft "fixing" the 360. I am sorry you lost your PS3, but I've had seemingly (thank you God) no issues with it. I try to run it as minimally as possible, and only will keep it going if I have a big download that needs completed.

Edited by: TheUnabridgedGamer

ambershee
Jul 27 2011, 11:21am Anchor

I'd like to actually see those statistics. I know the failure rate for the 360 is high, but I'm quite confident it's nowhere near that high.

Jul 27 2011, 11:24am Anchor

I must be that 0.5 % then because i have seen more ps3 failures than xbox360.

Edited by: 5n1p3

TheUnabridgedGamer
Jul 27 2011, 11:43am Anchor
ambershee wrote:I'd like to actually see those statistics. I know the failure rate for the 360 is high, but I'm quite confident it's nowhere near that high.

Consumerist.com

Ahem?

Jul 27 2011, 12:14pm Anchor

That report was in 2009, way back when RRoD was a common problem. Today I don't see any failures, none of my friends have had problems, and its been that way for 2+ years now. Your going off old data, my friend.

ambershee
Jul 27 2011, 12:19pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:Record rate of PS3 failures -- (last recording by a British magazine) 0.5%

Quote:The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3

That puts your 0.5% for Sony at around twenty times higher than your original post. If you're going to use statistics, at least use statistics from the same source.

It's also a massively skewed result, since the survey was about hardware failures to start with. I can easily find other just as quotable third party into that says completely different:

Quote:there is only a 6.2% disparity between the total number of Xbox 360's that have failed and the total number of PlayStation 3's that have failed. This seems to go against popular belief that the Xbox 360 had monumental failure rates, regularly being reported around 33% and according to one survey as high as 54.2%. One would expect that if the failure rate were ever truly were that bad, the current active user base would be much lower than it is now.

Strategyinformer.com

For the record, the actual non-speculative statistic for 360 hardware failures is around 14%, around half of which are red-ring of death errors and are covered by the extended 3 year warranty anyway (free replacement machine). This is considerably better than Sony's 1 year warranty which has very limited coverage, and still costs you extortionate amounts of money to replace your console - in my case they wanted £18 more than I'd paid for the console in the first place.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Jul 27 2011, 12:22pm Anchor

I'd really much rather have a Halo movie, just to drool over (seemingly) neverending cinematics . I give it to the series - it has some great designs, but some of it feels a bt outdated compared to more recent designs. Maybe that's why there's never been a movie anyway. I would play Halo 4 just to see if it manages to update the game visually, but keep the spirit. Halo is a special game. I remember the trailer back from - I think '99 - it's something that just made me want it back then. And then we had to wait... and waiting tends to make things turn out not so great, in the end. Competition is tough and a couple of years delay can mean a lot. 

Anyway, I like the game for all the inspiration I can draw from it. You cannot copy Halo without it being obvious. That's why it's special and that's why it remains such a great inspiration.

--

User Posted Image

Jul 27 2011, 1:01pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:I'd really much rather have a Halo movie, just to drool over (seemingly) neverending cinematics.

To my knowledge they are making one (another money sucking campaign?). I think it would have potential though, this commercial showed some amazing visual candy:

TheUnabridgedGamer
Jul 27 2011, 4:27pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:
SinKing wrote:I'd really much rather have a Halo movie, just to drool over (seemingly) neverending cinematics.

To my knowledge they are making one (another money sucking campaign?). I think it would have potential though, this commercial showed some amazing visual candy:

Dreamworks was making one. It's been cancelled to, apparently...

Edited by: TheUnabridgedGamer

Jul 28 2011, 11:38am Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:Dreamworks was making one. It's been cancelled to, apparently...

Imdb.com

Dunno if this means anything, but its there. Maybe it hasn't been completely ruled out yet?

Jul 28 2011, 1:20pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:Dreamworks was making one. It's been cancelled to, apparently...

Imdb.com

Dunno if this means anything, but its there. Maybe it hasn't been completely ruled out yet?

From what I heard, they kept switching directors, and now they don't have one, so it's on hold.

moci
moci Is it me or does it smell funny here?
Jul 28 2011, 1:21pm Anchor

If I had an xbox360 - yes.

--

- Mathiasverboven.net

Quote:If I learned anything about Valve over the years, its that they can't count to 3 ~xHotPotatox @ joystiq
Quote:If people are making shit, they're making shit not because of the engine, but because their own abilities as a game developer suck.
They'd make similar shit on UDK, Source and CryEngine if they could. ~Mr_Cyberpunk
Jul 28 2011, 1:41pm Anchor

Gotta see game play, make sure it is at least the same formula. If you have seen the trailer then you must agree it doesn't look like any halo i have played before.

Jul 28 2011, 1:50pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:From what I heard, they kept switching directors, and now they don't have one, so it's on hold.

Is that what you heard, or is it what you just read in the trivia on the imdb page? XD

Silencer107 wrote:Gotta see game play, make sure it is at least the same formula. If you have seen the trailer then you must agree it doesn't look like any halo i have played before.

Yeah, 343 Studios has taken the liberty of screwing over the chief's armor design, and from what I've read, they are changing the formula as well; they are going focus on bringing more character into chief, psychological damage from the war, crap like that. I'm not happy about it, not at all. There was a purpose to why the chief was silent, one made clear by Bungie, and I believe it was the reason that made him so popular.

Edited by: x3nu

Jul 28 2011, 2:16pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:Is that what you heard, or is it what you just read in the trivia on the imdb page? XD

Various sites.
Slashfilm.com

Movies.ign.com

Jul 28 2011, 2:25pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:
l0rdx3nu wrote:Is that what you heard, or is it what you just read in the trivia on the imdb page? XD

Various sites.
Slashfilm.com

Movies.ign.com

My bad ;)

Jul 28 2011, 2:45pm Anchor

No, I think they're just milking the franchise now, it's ridiculous. Bungie has stopped making them, so let it die.

TheUnabridgedGamer
Jul 28 2011, 5:33pm Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:
GarynDakari wrote:From what I heard, they kept switching directors, and now they don't have one, so it's on hold.

Is that what you heard, or is it what you just read in the trivia on the imdb page? XD

Silencer107 wrote:Gotta see game play, make sure it is at least the same formula. If you have seen the trailer then you must agree it doesn't look like any halo i have played before.

Yeah, 343 Studios has taken the liberty of screwing over the chief's armor design, and from what I've read, they are changing the formula as well; they are going focus on bringing more character into chief, psychological damage from the war, crap like that. I'm not happy about it, not at all. There was a purpose to why the chief was silent, one made clear by Bungie, and I believe it was the reason that made him so popular.

I am the guy who argues story (sometimes) over gameplay...

And I know they're ****ing the formula. Master Chief isn't a deep character. The point is that he blows up crap. If I want a deep, well thought out character, I'll listen to Cortana. Chief sticks to saying lines for the player that they would love to say, and then nothing else.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.