Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
Why Russians are the bad guys ? (Forums : Cosmos : Why Russians are the bad guys ?) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Assaultman67
Assaultman67 Needs a fuckin' title
Nov 15 2011, 1:45pm Anchor

So last Monday I just teleconferenced with a bunch of students from Russia ...

They blindsided everyone with questions about politics and then asked why Russians are often protagonists in movies and what the general U.S. population thought of Russian politics.

Needless to say there was an awkward silence on our end.

Just thought of this thread while we were getting bombarded by questions.

--

My links:|Xfire|Mars Wars 3|Steam|
My Mod/Game Watches: |Lift Mod|Overgrowth|Airborn|Warm Gun|

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Nov 15 2011, 2:11pm Anchor

Um, "antagonists". Protagonists are the good guys.

Nov 15 2011, 7:45pm Anchor

I do not think that only Americans view Russia as a threat. There are many countries that were forced into the Soviet Union that still have strong feelings about Russia.  Russian people are great, just as the ordinary people of every country are decent people with jobs and families to care for.  Since Putin has come back to power, he has made Russia a force in Eastern Europe that is throwing its weight around against her neighbors like Ukraine, Estonia and Georgia. It is not ancient history, in our own grandparents lifetimes millions were murdered through starvation (Holodomor), wars (Finland, Baltics, Poland, Ukraine, etc), political persecutions and ethnic cleansing (Crimean Tatars, Ukrainians, Poles).  It will take many generations to heal that. 

what wrote:

I can't speak for all Americans but I feel the government of a country is the product of its people.  We as Americans deserve the government we have and Russians have found an equalibrium with a strong authoritive government that has always been present there.  Like ours, there is a massive ammount of corruption but it seems that it works for Russia... as long as the gas keeps flowing.  If there is one important lesson I have taken away from our most recent wars it is that the government of a nation is soley their responsibility and we have no right to tell anyone how to live or govern. 

odilasa
odilasa ...processing...
Nov 17 2011, 6:38pm Anchor

Hosted.ap.org

Damn. Just when I thought this thread should have died many pages ago. It seems there are people still eager to go to war, including our own nation. Also strange to find out that there will be American troops in Australia, not sure what role that plays. Hindsight is definitely 20/20... we will see.

--

Fractals, fractals, everywhere; on the ground and in the air.

PeterHat
PeterHat A Gray Swan
Mar 8 2012, 12:55pm Anchor

Every powerful nation can make a bad guy. There is good and bad people under every flag of the world. Just some flags have nuclear weapons, and some don't.

--

If the game start to lag for no reason it's my falt ):>{O

Mar 8 2012, 1:37pm Anchor

In movies and games russians are the bad guys. Think about who made these games and movies mostly and why... >.>

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Mar 8 2012, 3:22pm Anchor
Ashkandi wrote:In movies and games russians are the bad guys. Think about who made these games and movies mostly and why... >.>

And Heavy Rain has archaic female characters. I'm no fan of stereotyping but it's not just America that's made Russians bad guys.

Mar 9 2012, 3:53pm Anchor

They drink much alcohol and smoke alot!

...and they ask you money for their sun flower seeds!

Mar 9 2012, 4:32pm Anchor

They look around all shifty-eyed like!

--

>:|

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Mar 9 2012, 4:56pm Anchor

If it makes you feel any better, Russians, I always seemed to be playing a Russian when CoD:MW3 was available for free on Steam for the weekend. I think I was USA, once, and even then the overhead guy sounded Russian...

Maybe Call of Duty is really all just a conspiracy about Russians fighting Russians in a fictional world where Russians founded America. Oh shit, that's probably the plot for Black Ops 2 and I just spoiled it for everyone.

Ambient_Malice
Ambient_Malice Ultraconservative Hippie Freak
Mar 9 2012, 7:34pm Anchor

I believe the... dislike for Russia is residue from when Russia was a communist hell-hole which murdered its citizens and sent them to gulags in Siberia. Russia has improved, depending on whom you talk to, but the fear remains that the brutal administration has simply adopted the garbs of peace and civility. I think there is a difference between vague hatred towards Russians, and historically motivated distrust of the nation of Russia.

--

Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?
-Peter Hitchens

PeterHat
PeterHat A Gray Swan
Mar 11 2012, 8:15am Anchor
Ambient_Malice wrote:I believe the... dislike for Russia is residue from when Russia was a communist hell-hole which murdered its citizens and sent them to gulags in Siberia. Russia has improved, depending on whom you talk to, but the fear remains that the brutal administration has simply adopted the garbs of peace and civility. I think there is a difference between vague hatred towards Russians, and historically motivated distrust of the nation of Russia.

In that logic, why not Japan? People forget that Russia isn't the only country that had dictatorship, and well, a lot of other countries had it worse. I am a Russian and a know a few people who support Stalin. One of them is the nice old lady next door. She is 80 years and was a kid during WW2, so it explains why she cares about the subject that much. Non of us actually lived during Stalin or any other dictator for that matter. The world is much more democratic now, well, at least they can't send people after you to shot you down, at least.

I can't call the old lady a bad person for that though, she is one of the nicest people I know. How can I argue with a person that gives me free cookies :(

Edited by: PeterHat

--

If the game start to lag for no reason it's my falt ):>{O

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 11 2012, 2:55pm Anchor
Quote:In that logic, why not Japan?

Because after WW2, Japan gave up its main army and became more peaceful with the West. The Soviets on the other hand remained in Cold War for several of the following decades with the US. Unlike with Japan, this resulted in high tensions, an arms race, and constant dicking in each other's proxy wars (Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, etc). 
 

PeterHat
PeterHat A Gray Swan
Mar 12 2012, 1:06pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:
Quote:In that logic, why not Japan?

Because after WW2, Japan gave up its main army and became more peaceful with the West. The Soviets on the other hand remained in Cold War for several of the following decades with the US. Unlike with Japan, this resulted in high tensions, an arms race, and constant dicking in each other's proxy wars (Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, etc). 
 



Makes sense...

--

If the game start to lag for no reason it's my falt ):>{O

Ambient_Malice
Ambient_Malice Ultraconservative Hippie Freak
Mar 14 2012, 9:39pm Anchor
PeterHat wrote:
Cryrid wrote:
Quote:In that logic, why not Japan?

Because after WW2, Japan gave up its main army and became more peaceful with the West. The Soviets on the other hand remained in Cold War for several of the following decades with the US. Unlike with Japan, this resulted in high tensions, an arms race, and constant dicking in each other's proxy wars (Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, etc). 
 



Makes sense...


My sentiment exactly. Japan was crushed by the US, and while I feel a great deal of sadness that a proud nation was brought to its knees, Japan chose to treat semi-service to the US with the best possible attitude; the end result was mutually beneficial. Russia, however, was never defeated by the US to any extent. The cold war went nowhere, but the differences of ideology and goals still remain. While I believe the Russian people largely want peace, the Russian government is in a position where they might be required to use force to achieve their political goals. Remember 2008, when Russia shut off gas supplies to Europe? Consider also that Russia will probably side with Iran in the event of a US\Israeli invasion. This means that war between the US and Russia is very real possibility. Hence, underscored, my point that distrust between Russia and US allies is very much still present.

--

Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?
-Peter Hitchens

Smoth
Smoth Zeonic Loyalist
Mar 16 2012, 5:37pm Anchor

PeterHat:
thread is tl:dr

I think they are awesome as villians. They are like zeon in gundam, you think they are cool as hell. I would not like to see a movie with americans as the bad guy, we are dull.

Ambient_Malice
Ambient_Malice Ultraconservative Hippie Freak
Mar 18 2012, 12:21pm Anchor
Smoth wrote:PeterHat:
thread is tl:dr

I think they are awesome as villians. They are like zeon in gundam, you think they are cool as hell. I would not like to see a movie with americans as the bad guy, we are dull.


Does Avatar count?

--

Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?
-Peter Hitchens

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Mar 18 2012, 1:46pm Anchor
Ambient_Malice wrote:
Smoth wrote:PeterHat:
thread is tl:dr

I think they are awesome as villians. They are like zeon in gundam, you think they are cool as hell. I would not like to see a movie with americans as the bad guy, we are dull.


Does Avatar count?


Avatar is Pocahontas 2099.

Smoth
Smoth Zeonic Loyalist
Mar 19 2012, 5:00pm Anchor

"Does Avatar count? "
Yes, it proves Americans are boring villains.

"Avatar is Pocahontas 2099. "
Yes

Mar 19 2012, 8:46pm Anchor

What if the tension between Russia and the US is what's stopping one country from World Domination? What if they're both evil? They're just both coincidentally and conveniently good guys?

At the end of the day, once both countries have run out of ammunition, Ireland will seize the day and conquer.

Edited by: Sparky245

Mar 23 2012, 9:29pm Anchor

I personally think its because america is still pissed about the cold war. also, most of the fiction that actually includes russia usually is based in an alternate history where the cold war ended diffrently. and really, russia is the only country to scare america, russia is huge, full of resources and was a power. The large population with the previous makes a huge bad ass country.

MarcyRoars
MarcyRoars Pancakes are not meant for breakfast.
Apr 10 2012, 6:12am Anchor

I'm fine with the way they do it, sure. It's a bit overused and cliche, but it works.
But at the same time, they could also make the japanese the villain for example, or germany.

Anyway, why would you make a problem out of it? It's just movies and video games you know. ;)

--

"On the internet nobody knows that you're a creative cat."

"Oh, wait..."

Sep 3 2012, 3:07am Anchor

I must say that Russians ARE pretty evil. Right now they're pretty much moving towards the totalitarian society. Authorities control the media, even the internet. The propaganda is everywhere. They're still trying to conquer neighboring countries (Belarus and Ukraine) by killing their languages, their media, throwing lots of money to spam internet with their propaganda and make it look natural.

But of course that's not the reason Russians are bad guys in games. They're bad guys for the same reason nazis or aliens or zombies are bad. Because that is freaking cliche. So don't overthink it.

(Yes, I'm from Ukraine so I had to make this comment)

Sep 7 2012, 5:50pm Anchor
ax23w4 wrote:I must say that Russians ARE pretty evil. Right now they're pretty much moving towards the totalitarian society. Authorities control the media, even the internet. The propaganda is everywhere. They're still trying to conquer neighboring countries (Belarus and Ukraine) by killing their languages, their media, throwing lots of money to spam internet with their propaganda and make it look natural.

Then plz say Russia (the government) is being evil.
The big majority of Russians are certainly very nice people and not evil.
ty

Edited by: Melerski

Whizzard
Whizzard Accepted membrane
Sep 8 2012, 3:18am Anchor

I must say that 10 something years ago I felt like all russians were evil and their language sounded pretty ugly to me. All that was because there weren't many russians around me and most of whom showed up in media were corrupt russian politicians or criminals. It is true that most crimes in my country are done by russian drug addicts and other of the sort.

But with 10 years I've come to see that that's not what they are at all. In sense of being corrupt and criminals. The language doesn't sound ugly anymore either. And in pretty much a years time i've picked up a few russian friends who all are quite great persons and you can even put them into categories of formerly spoiled rich kid (ain't spoiled or rich anymore, through losing those traits he has become a hard worker who regrets nothing and does not miss the "good" days), a joker and a hot blooded but kind hearted idiot. But all of them are hot blooded in contrast to my people who keep calm in most situations.

Perhaps this hot blood is what makes people think that russians are evil, it certainly get's them in a lot of fights. And in a fight, they stick together real tight. If one of them get's in a fight, all of them get in a fight to protect their buddy. It's amazing to watch, really. One minute everything is calm and in the next it's a chaos. XD

--

leilei wrote:i hear theres this concept called money you get free stuff if you give the stores this 'money', you can get almost anything you want with money!
Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.