Forum Thread
by member
What is everyone working on? #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : What is everyone working on? #2) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 268
Arcones
Arcones I don't even know...
Oct 3 2013, 5:03pm Anchor

Quite pretty, well done!

TwinBeast
TwinBeast FBI Man
Oct 3 2013, 11:04pm Anchor

Squared55: Yea, looks pretty good work from someone who's not an artist... The hud text should probably say: Anti-Materiel Rifle

--

Today I planned some different characters and then started animating, but didn't get very far yet, had figure out the proper workflow, etc... The upper body pose isn't really meant for that weapon. Forgot to make the feet smaller...

User Posted Image

--

Quote:How about I give you the phonecall and you give me my finger!
Oct 4 2013, 9:25am Anchor
TheSniperFan wrote:@ShinobiNFC:
Why does this remind me of AudioSurf and WinAmp? :D

I havent played audiosurf but winamp is definitely an influence :D

Oct 4 2013, 10:28am Anchor

Now I'm trying to publish my Porradaria Upgrade in Desura. They ask for a video of my game but I couldn't find any decent freeware screen recorder on the internet for download. =(

TwinBeast
TwinBeast FBI Man
Oct 4 2013, 11:47am Anchor

VirtualDub is pretty good for capturing video from the screen. Link: Virtualdub.org

--

Oct 4 2013, 6:16pm Anchor

My team's entry to Rpgmaker.net

Oct 6 2013, 1:57pm Anchor

Auto generating terrain and texture from online maps based on GPS coordinates....Then pull into blender and decimate to reduce polygons. Then can redo the texture using my own textures.

Here's a version of manhattan with auto generated buildings based on open street map data, it even has information about each building like address, number of stories, building name and website:

Edited by: shindig

Oct 6 2013, 3:15pm Anchor

TwinBeast
TwinBeast FBI Man
Oct 7 2013, 10:33pm Anchor

shindig: The video reminded me of some old flying game.

Cadh20000: The text could use some more work. The highlights aren't very smooth...

--

Some animation on the character. Running, idling and looking up/down. It's got some minor issues which I'll sort out later...

Player Angel Running - Mod DB

--

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Oct 8 2013, 5:39am Anchor

@ JCA
Good Job, Jimi! It looks great in motion and with the sword and those wings the whole character has something of a "spaceknight" feel. I can't help but think that it could be worked into a fully detailed, sculpted version and look even greater. Maybe you want to have your game look this way, but it has a somewhat prototype feel to it. Animations are really fluid and looking good. They give the character weight, too.

This really made me wanna work on characters again :)

@ shindig

That is interesting! I used World Machine 2 with a makro to output texture layers to be used as Materials in UDK'S landscape mode. That worked alright, but making adjustments to the map was horror. Getting the heightmap out of UDK and having it show correct heights and sizes in World Machine just didn't work out. I tried adding roads in photoshop (with a greyscale gradient along a path), but overall I found I was fumbling around a lot, achieving too little for the time.

I'm thinking this kind of terrain could be used as a backdrop, whilst sculpting the center part (where the game takes place) by hand. These auto-generated maps make it hard to work with in UDK, if you already have a certain idea of how you want your map to look. However, the city scene you show is pretty impressive! If the scaling of the buildings and between the buildings is realistic, it can really be used well to prototype city maps!

Could you tell us how you generated the Manhattan scene? It could be very helpful to what I'm trying to do, and frankly I'm a bit lost building a city on my own :)

--

User Posted Image

Oct 8 2013, 5:53am Anchor

Working on an european street level

Edited by: Ashkandi

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Oct 8 2013, 6:28am Anchor
Ashkandi wrote:Working on an european street level

Is it in Unity? Most of it looks nice, except the straight road and the crossroads have different textures (and therefor seams) and the cables between the poles are too straight. Trees may be a bit overscaled, but come to think of it I think they almost always are in computer games. Looks nice, good variation of buildings + props!

Edited by: SinKing

--

User Posted Image

TwinBeast
TwinBeast FBI Man
Oct 8 2013, 12:22pm Anchor

Thanks SinKing. Guess I finally succeeded in making fluid animations :) Hope I can do the rest of them as good.

The graphics.. At the moment I plan to use simple graphics, but I make proper UV maps for the models, so they should work ok with more complex textures too. The level textures will get some shapes even if I use simple graphics, now they're just 1 color. At least they should get more (vivid) colors. (I play Quake Live with this kind of graphics settings).

shindig: Just remembered someone made New York into a Doom level... Doomworld.com

Ashkandi: Makes me miss summer... The texture on the truck looks a bit lowres/blur compared the everything else. Maybe some text/logo would fit in it. And if it's collided into that lamp pole, the lamp pole could be tilted a bit.

--

Oct 8 2013, 9:13pm Anchor

SinKing it's actually a plugin I bought for unity. From unity you could export out the terrain heightmap or the mesh as an OBJ. You can specify how many tiles x and y and it will make seamless terrain chunks and seamless textures.

I used to grab stuff off google maps and make heightmaps by hand but not anymore. It has an options for placing rivers, trees and buildings but it always crashes when I try to populate trees.

Here's the Manhattan building placement, fast forward halfway through and I run around with a camera.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Oct 9 2013, 5:35am Anchor

Wow, I keep seing impressive plugins for Unity all the time... and I just bought a UDK license :)

Ok, this is pretty cool, but I am reluctant to start using yet another engine, when there is so much to do in UDK (anyone say Kismet?)
I'm waaaaay in over my head already, but it's really nice to see all these tools made for Unity. Thanks for replying - I was curious what it takes to transform the data. I might remember this in the future.

--

User Posted Image

Oct 9 2013, 1:33pm Anchor

Killer Machines

Quote:Deep underground, in a military lab, an experiment was underway. A combat robot, code named Arachna-Mech, was made, though everyone simply called it the Spider. As its nick-name implied, its appearance was like that of a giant spider. It was able to power itself using ambient energy. However, it quickly went out of control and began sucking energy at an accelerated rate. As it did so, office plants in the facility began to die and a colony of roaches that they had so far failed to exterminate suddenly died off with no obvious reason, people working in the vicinity of the Spider also began to feel fatigued. The first sign that this was more than a normal tired day was when a wide-awake, healthy technician working near it suddenly collapsed to the floor. The other technicians rushed to aid him, but as they in turn approached the Spider, they too began to feel weak and exhausted.

You are that tech, you awake in the infirmary. You are the only person left alive inside the base, everyone else has either died or fled. You have to dodge the mechanical spiders, solve puzzles, find your way from floor to floor through the mazes, and escape the base alive.

Oct 9 2013, 9:36pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:Wow, I keep seing impressive plugins for Unity all the time... and I just bought a UDK license :)

Ok, this is pretty cool, but I am reluctant to start using yet another engine, when there is so much to do in UDK (anyone say Kismet?)
I'm waaaaay in over my head already, but it's really nice to see all these tools made for Unity. Thanks for replying - I was curious what it takes to transform the data. I might remember this in the future.

I spend around $500/mo on assets on Unity's asset store. Look at the quality of this guy's environments for not a lot of money: Assetstore.unity3d.com

I
also have this asset Assetstore.unity3d.com for building city buildings quickly....it can then export out the buildings as OBJ format and you could take them into a modeling program and convert to whatever UDK takes.

I use Unity at my day job and it's crazy how much stuff works with it. We do a lot of stuff with augmented reality for android, ios and windows, kinect and xtion pro sensors, motion tracking with just a webcam with OpenCV, work with the oculus rift, sphero ar balls for a racing game, etc tons of toys that work with unity and take a matter of hours to implement core features of. I also do some kinect + unity programming contracting/consulting work at a second company that insisted on paying me over $50/hr when I asked for half that, so I'm quite happy with unity. :D

Today I just wrapped up and shipped a slot machine I made with ms kinect + unity that's being used at a marketing event for a company that wants to give away prizes. One small prize that will be common is a t-shirt and the logo on the t-shirt is also a target in an android AR app I'm wrapping up. It's just promotional stuff but it's good experience, money, and being at work is actually fun.

TwinBeast
TwinBeast FBI Man
Oct 10 2013, 1:02am Anchor

Some action with the sword. Sword swing direction controlled with player's movement direction. It's actually just one swing animation, the upper body gets twisted with code... Maybe sometimes it's a bit funny looking, but overall much simpler than making lots of different swing animations.

Player Attacks! - Mod DB

edit: No one else working on anything?

Well, here's some more stuff:

Marble Pool

Marble Pool

Edited by: TwinBeast

--

Oct 19 2013, 12:29pm Anchor

Spent part of yesterday taking a look at Photon's networking package for Unity. I roughed out some switchable projectiles and stuff. I'm impressed by the crossplatform-ness of it, you don't have to make a single change to the code between andriod, ios, webplayer, pc or mac builds...the networking just works when you convert the project. I tested it on an android tablet, my PC, and a co-worker on a webplayer version all at the same time and it was great.

In the video all 4 clients are connecting to the cloud server.

Oct 19 2013, 6:08pm Anchor

I've been working hard on getting the sandbox version of Oberon's Court completed. Nearly there, just waiting on the final unit voice recordings, and doing the last few special abilities.. Except I just decided on doing some roguelike interior dungeons , so when during a campaign map you can enter a crpyte or castle and have on squad do a small interior battle sequence and looting. But that's gonna set me back a week or so, but better to implement it before I go off and make the campaign and cutscenes..

some screens of the latest build
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
It's quickly grabbed shots so sometimes obscured by interfaces, hope you don't mind
Cheers, tomas

Oct 20 2013, 4:28am Anchor

I still like the style, just be carefull with that bloom effect ;) What is the difference between the first screen and the others? The first one seems to have more bloom, and IMO it's just a tiny bit to much. The rest looks better. It's not much of a difference, just my personal perception, that is probably an effect of the scene (fire in the camera view?) not the settings.

We are having exactly the same "problem" with our project right now. Fine tunning the post-processing effects, finding that sweet spot that makes a difference but does not look overdone. And I think the the images 2 to 4 are kind of there. The first one keeps whispering in my ear: "Look at me, I have lots of bloom. Lots of bloom." :) You are using less bloom that we are at the moment, yet I'm still commenting ;), but your style is clean and based on that black color, so I think you should try to keep the black objects in the foreground as black as possible. Because it really looks cool.

Oct 20 2013, 5:46am Anchor
Someone wrote: still like the style, just be carefull with that bloom effect ;) What is the difference between the first screen and the others? The first one seems to have more bloom, and IMO it's just a tiny bit to much.

Well, all the shots are from the same relatively small area, bottom two feature the same hill/lump/. But since i'm also focusing on mobile, and I am a Framerate freak, I've gone and removed the hardware fog (as that's a pretty decent hit on prev generation ios and android devices).. But I had to replace it with a handmade solution. Which is akin to a number of overlay 3d planes. Which sortoff blooms the distance beyond also the regular postfx bloom.

That said one could say fog is more important than bloom, where i would say, I do like me a bit of bloom. ( I also really like the visuals of rascal rider BTW, ingame video coming soon?)

Oct 20 2013, 8:07am Anchor

Bloom is good :) and we are still using a bit to much of it in Rascal Rider, that's why i'm so interested in it in other projects as well. Some new screensots, and some test ingame videos coming really soon, we will also publish an environemt flyby in the web player later on.

As for the fog we are using the one made with postfx scripts, works great for us so far, but we are also prepared to alter the visuals a bit for different devices and generations. Sacrifices will be made when the time comes.

Oct 20 2013, 9:22am Anchor

Someone wrote:As for the fog we are using the one made with postfx scripts,

Are you talking bout fog with a shader/depthmap combi? I'd be really interested in learning more on alternative fog methods.. I've tried writing shaders with fog based on world position, but there's no perfomance gain there. (as far as I tested)..

Oct 20 2013, 10:04am Anchor

We are simply using the postfx GlobalFog Script, that comes with Unity. So far so good. But we are not optimizing hard for mobiles yet. Although it simply works well on higher end devices, and this is our primary target on mobiles, that might be a major difference between our projects. The script settings may also be very different, currently we are using the fog indoors, not that much of it, and it's a dark one, just to get some extra feeling of overall darkness and pull out the lights that are near to the camera a bit more, so the fog starts in quite a distance from the camera, and just behind there the scene ends.

We will be putting some more stress on the game in the next weeks, and we'll see what happens. If we find out anything interesting I will remember about you.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.