Themes
Forum Thread
by member
What is everyone working on? #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : What is everyone working on? #2) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... 267
Sep 2 2013, 2:09pm Anchor

cruck speed adventures 3d 3rd person!

--

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 3 2013, 11:44am Anchor

I made a lot of content for UDK lately. These are all lowpoly models with maps betweent 512 and 1k:

New Models 2nd batchNew Models 2nd batch
new models New Models 2nd batch New Models 2nd batch
New Models 2nd batch

new models

new models

new models

Edited by: SinKing

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 3 2013, 3:30pm Anchor

SinKing: Overall looking pretty allright. Textures could use some work there. The door feels a bit too colorful. At least have a cleaner version of it too. And that gun texture does seem a bit too worn, like someone took a file and filed the paint off every edge. You could use some mask on the worn stuff.

--

I've been making some more textures... time to start doing something else I think.

--

Quote:How about I give you the phonecall and you give me my finger!
SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 4 2013, 5:14am Anchor

#Yeah JC, you are right about that! I tend to use far to strong and saturated colors in my texturing. I don't know why, but I enjoy texturing more when I just go about it without looking at real life colors/reference. That works well enough for small objects like the pickaxe, but not with everything.

All my recent models are basically art tests to make sure I have a working production pipeline and am up to speed. At the beginning of the year, I needed a month for about anything to model, UV and texture. Now I do it in 2-4 days, sometimes less, depending on the complexity and detail. Unwrapping and baking were such a pain in the ass, until I switched to Maya (from XSI) and baked the same object with about a 1000 different settings, until I finally got it right. Now it just feels so satisfactory to be able to create whatever I want to. It's just sad I am building an urban area at the moment and cannot make tons of crazy sci-fi stuff.  

Also: I like your updates, especially the latest creature looked awesome, but you could use a little less black and brown in the environments. As I said a year ago, your creatures tend to blend with the backgrounds too much, so either put some lively colors or lights on them or brighten up the maps a bit, would I suggest. However, you got something really unique and really "you" there!

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 5 2013, 8:21pm Anchor

And I was sort of going for same kind of look as Abuse... like this character.

Just figured out how to rig and animate models with Blender today.. but it was just some few bones, not much to show about that. Then I tried my textures in Darkplaces... sure looks nice with some bumpyness, shine and colored light...

User Posted Image

--

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 6 2013, 6:17am Anchor

I'd say you need only 10% of the normal map strength you show in the image. The materiality comes more from a combination of the normal map and the specular map. And the Spec is really important. In my oppinion it can look wrong and often ugly when artists bake too strong normals. The problem with that is that you only see the effect when you look at the object in realtime. On still images it might even look better with stronger normals.

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 6 2013, 7:27am Anchor

Yea, I think so too.. I'd do them so that they define the shapes more than the noise. Now they were just the diffuse textures as normal maps and everything with the same spec. But it did what I wanted.. To see how this stuff would look with lowres textures...

Edited by: J_C_A

--

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 6 2013, 3:18pm Anchor

Been building a house. As modular as it needs to be. And all walls fit on one map, so they can be combined in different ways. Add a instanced material to it in UDK and you can start popping out houses in all kinds of colours :)
The walls are the basemesh, the windows are extra meshes and can be replaced by... other windows, I guess. It's all still very clean. I wanted to see how it looked in UDK before grinding it up. It also doesn't have a specular map yet. 

modular_house
modular_house
modular_house

Here is one with basic specular (no cubemap yet)
house_spec

--

User Posted Image

Sep 6 2013, 4:21pm Anchor

That looks like a proper, well planned game asset. Really nice job.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 6 2013, 4:35pm Anchor

Almost looks like the house I live in, colors are the same. The asphalt in the middle looks kinda rough.. if it was green colored, I would think it's grass.

--

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 6 2013, 6:50pm Anchor

Thanks for the comments! I really apreciate it, since I have been learning first 2D and then 3D and finally see some results I like. 

J_C_A - as always: very perceptive! The Road is suffering from my lack of knowledge when it comes to UDK materials. I was tweaking a material using the burn color correction, which led to this extreme result. I forgot to change it back . My materials are dead simple at the moment. Plug diffuse into diffuse, normal into normal and spec into spec. And then a constant to control the specular highlight. I think everything could look better, if I'D spend some more time with UDK materials. Thanks again, it feels good to finally be able to produce these assets from A-Z now.

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Sep 7 2013, 4:00am Anchor

So what are the pieces? Entire house sides or even smaller?

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 7 2013, 5:28am Anchor

It's basically an L-Shape, however, if I want just the front I can delete the side wall and the side part of the roof, since they are sharing texture space. Everything you see on the UV-Layout is overlapping/tiling, in order to get higher detail. This is the reason why you can spot a few seams where the UV-shells end. I believe that seams won't be visible much when I grunge up the textures and put some decals on the walls. 

I made a visual explanation of how the UVs are arranged. I will surely refine this process for the next model(s):

UV_layout

I'm thinking of making a few more house parts and then building a small city scene. First it will be very clean and new and then I'll make another version with everthing beat up and barricaded. Should be fun. I hope my time permits it.

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Sep 7 2013, 10:38am Anchor

So everything is one single mesh just sharing the same texture  not individual mesh pieces LEGOed together.

--

User Posted Image

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 7 2013, 11:02am Anchor

The sides are single meshes in order to keep the whole thing modular enough. They just share the same material. You can make a single house a double house a 4x houseblock with it. From my experience UDK doesn't take kindly to creating too small units when thinking modular. If I'd created every floor as a separate module, I'd have to fight with UDK's lightmapper, which loves to make open corners appear lighter than the rest.

I might also switch to Unity from here on, because frankly UDK's licensing costs are insane. Unity means more coding but a better value.

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 7 2013, 8:33pm Anchor

Modelled a weapon.. it's the starting weapon from Abuse, or something close to it. 416 tris.

User Posted Image

--

Dragonlord
Sep 7 2013, 8:37pm Anchor

I went down myself to single floors as modular assets. I think though I might step up again to some larger modular assets though simply because it's faster to put together than having to juggle tons of small pieces to LEGO out the map with. But I don't know yet if laziness gets the better of me or not.

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 9 2013, 2:26pm Anchor

Do I need to tweak the proportions on this? And is the helmet too thick if the head inside it was about 23cm vertical and the helmet is 30cm vertical? So the average thickness would be 3.5cm..

Anyway I think it's better than my previous attempt at modeling the Abuse character...

User Posted Image

--

Sep 9 2013, 3:09pm Anchor
Someone wrote:Hello, my name is Charles Hillman. I am the designer and lead developer for the indie game company "Golden Dragon Studio". We are the group behind the development of the Action/Adventure/RPG titled "Silver Symbiosis".

This is about the game's storyline.

The game's story is basically that in the near future, the next 50 to 60 years, a machine is made that malfunctions and begins tearing holes in the fabric of reality. These holes act as portals between various versions of reality that many different creatures are coming through. Some willingly, some not so willingly!

Furthermore, two of the holes opened from Earth to Heaven and to Hell. The portal to Hell is allowing Satan to send his demonic troops through onto our world while the portal to Heaven has allowed an Angel to be sent through to aid you by granting you a power against the demons.

It is up to you to figure out what is good and what is evil, and there is no way to tell ahead of time which category a creature will fall into. You must defeat the evil, befriend the good, and destroy the demonic. Can you tell the difference?

You have to destroy all of Satan's hordes, defeat him in all of his forms, and seal the portal to Hell in order to save ALL worlds. Failure means not only our own world being conquered by Hell, but all other realities as well! Are you up to the challenge?

These posters have the game title in different fonts on them, otherwise they are the same. Mind giving some feedback on which looks better?

Version 1 of the game poster:

Version 2 of the same poster:

Edited by: Cadh20000

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Sep 9 2013, 4:08pm Anchor

@ Jimi - the upper part of the visor may be pulled back a bit too much. I'd say load the generic skull model from your 3D software (or download one) and put it inside the helmet. If it sits well anatomically and the eyesockets don't touch the border of the (front) of the helmet, it works. 
questions:
-why is this model in so many parts? Is that for gibbing? 
- What does he have on the hips? are these stabilizers and is the thing on his back a jetpack? 
I like that you got a really unqiue style and don't try to copy conventions. Textures could have a bit more detail though.

@Cadh

I commented on your profile/images a week or so ago. I think you are making some mistakes that just hurt the eye of the observer.

1) The font - Use a Grotesque or other modern font. You are using Times New Roman or some other Roman font, which is made for printing and simply looks horrible on screen. It is also very large, even for a logo font. 

2) The effect. That silver effect with the aliasing is simply butt-ugly and it doesn't help doubling it on the capital "S". It might look good with a motion blur and if you mask the letters so they have a sharp edge definition.

3) The hilt of the right sword is not straight. Move the lower round part in line with the upper round part.

4) The center/upper logo is completely superfluous. In fact it would look better if there was either just a small note there (like *** Studio presents), or if there is simply free space.If you move the arms up a little and delete the top logo you have a better image, imo.

+ The colors and style of the backplate are better than in the prior version. It might be nice  to see a little more of the left arm, since it is unclear what is going on with it. It looks like it could be made from silver, but it's not really clear.

+ Silver Symbiosis is an interesting title and has a nice ring to it

--

User Posted Image

Sep 9 2013, 4:37pm Anchor

Thanks for the feedback!

SinKing wrote:
@Cadh

I commented on your profile/images a week or so ago. I think you are making some mistakes that just hurt the eye of the observer.

I don't remember seeing that... I'll look again.

Edited by: Cadh20000

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 9 2013, 4:59pm Anchor

SinKing: Well, at least the generic head model I made fits inside it... Suppose the visor part could be pushed forward, and squeeze the helmet a bit thinner overall. Maybe it could work simply by drawing it on some flat polys.

And yea, it's for gibbing, possibly all death animations. I think it's simpler to make it like that right away. In Abuse all death animations were gibs. I'll probably replace some of the parts randomly with some more bloodier generic stuff, so it doesn't look so clean.

And the hips and the jetpack looking thing.. that's a good question. I have no idea really. In Abuse the appearance of player's legs changed when he got the Flight power, but the top part which included the jetpack looking thing, had the jetpack looking thing even without the Flight power. Don't know if the ingame sprite had the hip things.. he was just about 30px tall.

It's not textured/UV mapped yet, just some basic color materials. But this stuff will help with texturing.

I used this box art as a reference: Pics.mobygames.com

Don't know yet how closely I'll make it like Abuse. I'd like to make some Abuse remake in first person, but I'd also like to make it something original/new.. Also not really sure about having jetpack on the player. I was thinking a super jump power could be enough, so there could still be vertical obstacles. But he could have something in the back...

--

Cadh20000: What SinKing said.. and from these two, the bottom one is better, because it's simpler, and also looks more like some silver/metal. Also that bio/mech bug seems cool.

Edited by: J_C_A

--

Sep 9 2013, 5:26pm Anchor

Thanks, those are the three bosses we have (good) concept art for so far. The rest of the bosses are still either very rough sketches or just written descriptions of appearances and fighting styles.

Sep 9 2013, 5:48pm Anchor
J_C_A wrote:Do I need to tweak the proportions on this? And is the helmet too thick if the head inside it was about 23cm vertical and the helmet is 30cm vertical? So the average thickness would be 3.5cm..

Anyway I think it's better than my previous attempt at modeling the Abuse character...

User Posted Image

What we do for our human models to keep the proportions right while modelling suits and helmets is making a basic human mesh with desired body type, in Makehuman, importing it to Blender, and then using it as a "3D blueprint".
You can simply model a suit/armor/helmet around the human mesh, and easily control proportions and shapes on the fly. Even now you can simply export a human mesh from Makehuman, put it in your file and make a quick check if the body fits within the suit and helmet.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Sep 9 2013, 10:41pm Anchor

Thanks, that seems like a useful program. Looks like I got the proportions about right. Except my model is much thicker, but that's ok, it'll fill the game hitbox width better. I could do some little tweaks anyway.

--

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.