Themes
Forum Thread
by member
What is everyone working on? #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : What is everyone working on? #2) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 ... 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 ... 267
Mar 8 2013, 7:17pm Anchor

Yeah I love Unity. I made my little sprite tool with it, even remove the pink background with the alpha channel and pack the individual frames into 1 texture with it. Also switch shaders really easily. There are other uses beyond games.

This is an rpg I was working on for android but put it on hold to finish my kids games up.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 9 2013, 6:55am Anchor

TKAzA: Err.. pm? I haven't got any pm... Send again?
Yea, probaly some improvements could be done to the animations. My own thoughts were to make the wings point more to the back in the gun holding animations. Maybe the arms and gun could move back and forth in the run/walk. I was gonna do it, but then I got a bit lazy, ehh.. Attack animations were completely missing.

SinKing: Now that I look at the weapon, it reminds me of the plasmagun in Terminator.

shindig: I think the text could be more organized, packed more together, have some background?

Sometimes I wish there were some more advanced features in Doomsday Engine... but I chose to use it because its simple...

I have no new pics. I'm working on leaving the computer and going to the kitchen to get some breakfast...

--

Quote:How about I give you the phonecall and you give me my finger!
Mar 9 2013, 1:21pm Anchor

Yeah it's just a prototype and I was wanting to make sure everything was going up as it was used so just displayed all the stats. Ideally you'd open a menu and have access to it all.

Mar 9 2013, 1:24pm Anchor

@Shindig I agree with J_C_A, you could organize the text bit better, maybe move some of those statistics to a seperate menu, since I think it is not really necessary for the player to be aware all the time about most of those things.. But it looks pretty cool, always wanted to develop some small game for android myself.. :)

As for me, havent been really active posting stuff on the webs and this thread, still, that doesnt mean I am not making stuff.. :D Started out as a topology exercise and wanted to do a nice render too..
Fixed gear Bicycle

--

Think It. Sketch It. Create It. Repeat. 
User Posted Image

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 9 2013, 1:30pm Anchor

@Flash112 - that's a nice looking bicycle. The chain and gears look a bit too thick too me, but render, color and materials look nice! What did you render with? 

I'm kinda looking into ways of making it really become night in UDK. So far all I got was less contrast, when I turned down the scene light.
However, I finished decals and put them in the scene. Added smoothing groups too and got much sharper shapes, now.

Smoothing groups:
corridor with smoothing groups
D
ecals Added:
space_corridor + decals

--

User Posted Image

Mar 9 2013, 1:42pm Anchor

Thanks! I did this over a reference image, but when you say it, I must agree, they do seem bit too thick.. It was modeled in Blender and rendered in Blender Cycles renderer.

Very nice rifles and environments, really like the worn look.. Maybe you can slightly desaturated the image since as far as I know in low light conditions the nerves that catch color are way more less sensitive and those that simply receive black&white get more sensitive  and add some slight dark blue color grade(?)..

--

User Posted Image

Mar 9 2013, 2:19pm Anchor
Flash112 wrote:@Shindig I agree with J_C_A, you could organize the text bit better, maybe move some of those statistics to a seperate menu, since I think it is not really necessary for the player to be aware all the time about most of those things.. But it looks pretty cool, always wanted to develop some small game for android myself.. :)

As for me, havent been really active posting stuff on the webs and this thread, still, that doesnt mean I am not making stuff.. :D Started out as a topology exercise and wanted to do a nice render too..
Fixed gear Bicycle

That bike is great, you should make a modern day "Paperboy" from gameboy back in the day. I loved that game. Can you animate it?

Sinkings textures look really good as well.

I've been using unity for 3+ years and am just now learning blender. I can do heightmap based meshes/textures, simple objects and reduce polygons on models I've bought but am a newb with it all. I just buy textures from handpaintedtextures.com they're sexy...

Edited by: shindig

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 10 2013, 4:44am Anchor
shindig wrote:

That bike is great, you should make a modern day "Paperboy" from gameboy back in the day. I loved that game. Can you animate it?

It's only the highpoly, or so it seems to me. If he wants to make it game-ready, the real work is yet to come.

--

User Posted Image

Mar 10 2013, 11:42am Anchor

Designing and writing traits for custom races for our 4X strategy StarLife. 

here's the custom race screen

and a random trait:

Someone wrote:Feudal species still live in a rigid caste system. Such government usually has a king or an emperor, a small group of advisers, governors and officers, while most of the population consists of lowly workers and servants. Feudalism allows for a more militaristic approach, but a severe cost. Maximum fleet size is larger, its upkeep is cheaper, but both research and happiness take a huge hit. In addition, your subjects are less inclined to do things on their own.Provides X points.You have to choose one, and only one, government system.
Mar 10 2013, 1:21pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:
shindig wrote:

It's only the highpoly, or so it seems to me. If he wants to make it game-ready, the real work is yet to come.

Yeah. If it had a rider peddling I could pre render sprite sheet animations from isometric/top down or side profile for a simple mobile game. For a 3d world with jumps and fps/3rd person it'd need to be low poly for sure.

Mar 17 2013, 1:49am Anchor

Started modeling a head. Except for the abscence of hair and ears I think it turned out fine.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 17 2013, 9:23am Anchor
DanqueDynasty wrote:
Started modeling a head. Except for the abscence of hair and ears I think it turned out fine.

It looks more like a mask than a head at the moment. When in doubt, download a skull model (or use one from your 3D apps models library) and model the head around it. You have too little volume in the head. Proportions are a huge issue in this piece. Lack of basic anatomy knowledge is another issue. You cannot model organic stuff simply based on observation, you need to do some research and prototype. 

The easiest rule of thumb is that between the eyes there is space enough for a third eye. And does your nose bend like a banana? I don't think so. I could go on and on...

However, if you started with a sphere or a plain, this is an acceptable first try. It's pretty bad, but leaves a lot of room for improvment. Also, show wireframes. I see bad topology in a few places.

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 17 2013, 9:27am Anchor

Flash112: Nice bicycle and render.

HoverDog: This StarLife seems interesting. I played quite a lot MOO some years ago.

DanqueDynasty: Kind of looks like it's missing the back of the head, or the top of the head is too pointy. The cheekbones could be more bumpy.

--

This week I took some time off my main project and did two Doom levels for a change..

Level 01 Demo Playthrough
Level 02 Demo Playthrough

Edited by: J_C_A

--

ninjadave
ninjadave Aka Dave
Mar 17 2013, 3:56pm Anchor

I don't know how to animate very well, so this is as far as I'm going to get for now.

Mar 18 2013, 12:00am Anchor

the first frame?

--

>:|

ninjadave
ninjadave Aka Dave
Mar 18 2013, 9:46am Anchor

I'm really bad at animating.

Edited by: ninjadave

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 18 2013, 10:05am Anchor

Sorry for being so harsh DanqueDynasty. I'm a bit direct in my criticsim. Keep on working! Here is a tutorial that can help you with the edgeflow. Also, hard surface essentials is really good introduction, so try these two (and look for more organic modeling after):

smoothing artefacts:
Vimeo.com

hardsureface essentials:
Vimeo.com

--

User Posted Image

Mar 18 2013, 10:10am Anchor

SinKing, Thanks^^ It is far from the finished, but its a decent start.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 19 2013, 11:49am Anchor

Last week's Doom editing made me want to try out some sprite stuffs...

I thought to draw on paper, then scan and color. Also experimented on painting with oil pastels, but that didn't work so well. Then I also tried with my photo, which kinda looks like some old adventure game, and apparently I got some grey hairs... uh oh..

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Maybe photos could work so that I paint stuff over them, or try to dress in some unusual clothing, but they would probably be limited to humans/humanoids. More monster like stuff I'd have to draw. Or maybe if I posed in some strange poses, then it could work for some monsters?

--

Mar 20 2013, 8:12am Anchor

Mar 20 2013, 3:24pm Anchor

@J_C_A  The bottom sprite looks really cool, the dudes facial expression really implies that he has something sneaky on his mind.. :D
If you mean how to animate monster sprites :
*I am pretty sure this is not the best way* I would probably create a monster base mesh in 3D, then would create all the needed poses, get images from needed angles and paint over that (or model a slightly more detailed monster, and render it out at very low res in a non-photorealistic renderer such as Freestyle renderer for Blender
@ShinobiNFC Looks interesting, what is that? Some sort of cave level for a game?

As for me, I started reading "1984" and since I am listening to Daft Punk quite a lot, this poster poped up in my head.. Any crits? I'll be printing this out when finished :)
Pasteall.org

--

User Posted Image

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 20 2013, 9:10pm Anchor

Yea, 3D models would probably work ok, just that it always seem to take me months to get any complete. Which is one reason why I thought to try drawing stuff instead. Photo sourcing sprites is sort of ok, but it feels a bit ehh, cropping and cleaning the borders is a bit annoying. Tried some computer drawing today... kinda simple stuff. I've thought that maybe I could just draw some spaceships or something, so I would only need to draw them from different angles.

User Posted Image

--

Mar 21 2013, 3:40am Anchor
Flash112 wrote:
@ShinobiNFC Looks interesting, what is that? Some sort of cave level for a game?

As for me, I started reading "1984" and since I am listening to Daft Punk quite a lot, this poster poped up in my head.. Any crits? I'll be printing this out when finished :)
Pasteall.org

Learning unity. Scifi scene

Mar 21 2013, 11:30am Anchor

I'm rewriting my sprite tool (contains 3 scripts) to use Unity 4.1 and making a free tutorial for setting it up from scratch but wondering if I should just make a unity package and offer that.

You can pre-render animated 3d models and make individual frames as large as 1024x1024px then resize them down to the size you want(in unity automatically).

This is a 256x256px sprite (made with 1 click). It removes the background color using the alpha channel and packs the frames into an atlas. You can then open the atlas in Tiled and place each frame with a click onto a new atlas and combine multiple animation sets.

Can also make isometric tiles of buildings and stuff the same way, making a nice isolated tile with 1 click, you can spin the model around and shoot from different angles in seconds. This is how the program works:
I threw some sprites on a webpage and animate with javascript for an example: Pugetsoundtraining.com

When I was working on a 2d game it was terrible looking for sprite sheets, all I could find were from rpg maker and old might and magic graphics, I had this idea for making sprites but don't really need it as all my games are 3d. There's a program that does the same thing called "spriteworks" but it costs $50. By just releasing it as an editor tool you get a lot more settings since unity already handles importing various formats of models, setting up various lighting easily, shader configuration, etc more than I'd care to write for a standalone app.

Edited by: shindig

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 22 2013, 2:16pm Anchor

Flash112: Liked the poster. I was reminded of a line from Videodrome, which I've heard in some psytrance mix.. never seen the movie.

ShinobiNFC: The lighting seems a bit dark.. there could be some more light.

--

More work on the sprites.. used some photos for references on the poses to get them better. Now it's got all move frames from all necessary angles. It's not the greatest animation, but at least it appears to be doing some kind of movement. I think I'll try drawing those spaceships/whatever next.

Edit: Spaceship turned into armor pickups, then made some happy aliens with a simpler style. I think I'll continue with this kind of style. I made each part into a separate layer to make animating easier, but maybe for now I'll only have 1 frame for alive, 1 for dead and maybe 1 for attack. That way I'd get more characters done, instead of getting bored of this after making one character full. I could later animate the characters that are actually worth it.

And some more action:

--

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.