Forum Thread
by member
What is everyone working on? #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : What is everyone working on? #2) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 266
Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Feb 11 2013, 2:34pm Anchor

I prefer them less sculpted to be honest since most over-sculpted models look that: artificial... because (as you said) stuff is thrown on it just so it looks complex not because it makes sense.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Feb 11 2013, 4:49pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:@ lightflare - These arms look a little plain, which makes them cartoony to me. Maybe a cartoon style is your intention. It seems like you may be a bit too timid with the sculpting. They need more character. I usually slap tons of stuff on the highpoly. It could be you don't intend those for sculpting at all. It really depends on the look you want. 

I'm finishing my pillar texture and updated the car. It's a bit green, due to material/reflection settings, but this was my work of the past two/three weeks, basically:
The unfinished Pillar
car painted

Pillar has a 1k diffuse, car only 512x512

Agreed, I think he just needs to add folds to the clothing and the gloves. That should help finish it. Unless cartoony is what he is going for, if so it's great!

@SinKing: The Pillar looks interesting, I wish you would include a background on why it's important lol. The car looks pretty interesting too in a toy car kind of way. Imo the car needs more reflections and a better front bumper. Maybe it's just the render from the engine but I like it so far.

Feb 13 2013, 2:44am Anchor

Ahh, it's not sclupted yet. I do plan to sclupt them but for now it's WIP.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Feb 13 2013, 5:07am Anchor
Dragonlord wrote:I prefer them less sculpted to be honest since most over-sculpted models look that: artificial... because (as you said) stuff is thrown on it just so it looks complex not because it makes sense.

I don't think that's entirley true; I do like it when people do a good abstract model, though. Yet, good character modelers are experts at anatomy and sculpt muscles where they are supposed to be. It is very important to get these features right, at least if you want to make anything realistic/human. 

About my models:

the pillar didn't have the right smoothing groups, then. I fixed them (partly, sigh...), however I'm still not happy with the look of the texture. Trying something else with it, at the moment. 

what I learned from the car is to bake in parts next time. If I had kept the bumpers separate, I'd have a better baking result and more control to tweak it, now. Afraid all I can do with the car now is add some dirt splashes to the wheelcages and bumpers. I thought about adding an antenna, to enhance the RC look. Important for me is to see the import to UDK works well and there are no errors on the models.

Edited by: SinKing

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Feb 13 2013, 1:41pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:I prefer them less sculpted to be honest since most over-sculpted models look that: artificial... because (as you said) stuff is thrown on it just so it looks complex not because it makes sense.

Muscles are usually not what scrikes me odd more the tons of stuff added to models just to get complex looking normals maps. I just cant' take these models serious. Correct muscles is fine with me.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Feb 13 2013, 8:35pm Anchor

@ Jimmi
I like the mech, i think it will go well in your fast paced game, will it melee with those swords?

@Sinking
Your modeling is getting very good sir, the pillar is impressive, however dont go to heavy in zbrush unless you intend on modelling those heavy details into the base mesh. I like the car, the skin is low res but it doesn't put me off, i think the engine showing would have worked great and added some more character to the model.

Myself, i spent 4 hours today making a epic armor set for the bear shown below, however it was lost in a crash... boo.

MrHeadv1
So i thought i would have a go making a head and after watching this guy, Set to work, you can see a horrible WIP of the head in the bottom right.
Even though i have modelled for a long time, this is my first fully sculpted head, its not anatomically correct, but i think it has character and for a first attempt im pretty happy with it.

Voxel Art

Hempie V4?
This model i showed before but i got bored so made him some rough clothing, this was all revamped today but lost in a crash.
If i become happy with this, ill try and export it into unity and test it out.
Voxel Art

Scythe
Just a something i made when i was bored, thought it was interesting enough to post.
Voxel Art
More stuff in mah bloog.

Edited by: TKAzA

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Feb 14 2013, 5:17am Anchor

TKaza - you really have an original style. In fact I often think that when I see stuff on Moddb. It's often more original than the highly detailed similar looking models on Polycount. (Those are still awesomely well done).

Yeah that pillar is giving me nothing but headaches. I cannot see where the problems come from. I get (got!) these black seams on the edge of the pillar already on the normal map. That problems stays consistent, so I'll have to rebake the mesh and figure out where it occurs. One of the hardest things for me is figuring out what went wrong. There is usually more than one error source and using a lot of different programs can make it hard to pinpoint where and why something happened. 

This is the current bake with slightly more polygons. around 1860 Tris

changes 1

--

User Posted Image

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Feb 14 2013, 9:53am Anchor

I cant see a seam, can you post a wire.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Feb 14 2013, 11:45am Anchor

TKAzA: Thanks, yes, it'll do some melee with them, and maybe also be able to shoot them out for a short distance.
That head reminds me of the guy who turns into some snake like monster in the beginning of Berserk. All this stuff looks sort of like oil paintings. I was gonna try that kind of style once, but didn't quite get it right.

SinKing: This newest pillar texture has a sort of plastic like look. The earlier one was a bit metallic looking. Over 1000 polys for a pillar, isn't that quite a lot, or is that the highpoly polycount?

--

I think I may have done a bit too much detail for the player, at least if it was meant to be some abstract simple style. Of course I could just continue this way... Tried also modeling some monster character with this style or something like that, it's still a bit simpler than the player character. The greyer texture could be used when he's dead, and the bright one when he's alive.. or not? Red blood splats/etc could be used too, just that one of the player colors may be red and hide some of his health status. The middle version is also slightly less wide than the other version...

User Posted Image

--

Quote:How about I give you the phonecall and you give me my finger!
SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Feb 15 2013, 7:29am Anchor

Jimmy, I think what might look good is if you separated the characters more by means of their colors/materials. They seem a bit camoflaged in the environment. Their colors could be more saturated or have some detail that makes them pop out a bit. I only now realized these were animal themed Mech. The dog face is really quite interesting, but looks a bit alien on that body. 

@Tkaza - there are no seams on that mesh, because it is a fresh bake from a new loypoly. Apparently I got these seams earlier, because my LP model pillar didn't quite fit match up.
About the polycount: I think this pillar is okay, because you would only have a few of them in a map. I just didn't want to go beyond 1.9k polygons for the lowpoly.

I'll have to go back and switch the pillar's valve wheel with the one from the older bake. Hope I don't forget. Overall, I'm really happy to figure more and more out, almost every day. It's insanely rewarding to finally put these programs to use and see that stuff in-engine. During studying 3D was mostly dry to me and boring or annyoing. Now it becomes much more fun. Only took three years, lol...

--

User Posted Image

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Feb 15 2013, 4:25pm Anchor

@sinking - I would like to see a picture of the mesh, not sure if its the shader but your pillar now looks a bit round, to much spec perhaps.
Myself I learnt how to model polygons in the voxel program, so i re modelled the base mesh for the head, rebaked the normals and encountered the same issue, however after no solution, I imported it into unity and applied the rough normal and diffuse maps.
The results are far from good, but they seem to work decent enough.

Head Retopo in 3D Coat, Final results in Unity.

I've got fed up with the issues baking the normals to take this model further, so i think next ill make a full model and mesh and try and get uv mapping working properly.

Quick mutant tree face sculpt, not sure if im going to carry on further.

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Feb 17 2013, 7:07pm Anchor

SinKing: They weren't meant to be animal themed mechs.. More like mech themed animals :P At some point I also thought that player character was a bit ghost like. Then I also thought of those self-transforming machine elves, don't know if I've ever seen any, more like the words just fit into this character.

TKAzA: That tree looks kinda like a cross between Bart Simpson and the aliens from the series. Just missing the tentacles or roots...

--

Some changes to the player model. Fewer polys, bigger eyes, some thingys in the back. I think the previous details made it look too ordinary and that the different parts should have been connected together. The second pic shows some mockup colors that could be when it gets damaged or the team colors. But it probably is confusing if players and monsters get these same colors to show their health status, and if there were any player team colors with these colors. So I'm still a bit unsure how/if I should do the damage textures.

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

--

eezstreet
eezstreet Dominion
Feb 19 2013, 5:53am Anchor

Code.google.com
Coded this over President's Day weekend. Quite incomplete however (I'm only just now getting my first assets into the game, the first asset being a splash image)
[PM if interested in contributing]

--

Gunslinger's Academy - Modern Warfare Mod for Jedi Academy
C++/C experience with Q3A - PM if interested

Feb 19 2013, 7:03am Anchor

very cool stuff. here's something I've been working on:

Enjoy :)

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Feb 24 2013, 4:01pm Anchor

So i watched a tutorial on how to bake normals in 3d coat, here are the results.
Left hand side in 3dcoat, right hand side marmoset toolbag and unity4

Finally got the normal to bake without errors :D

Full Pipe Line Complete

Feb 27 2013, 8:43am Anchor

There's some great stuff on here, it's great to see everyone progressing their art skills! The old destroyed pillar is on my to-do list of 3d learning, for now though I'm focusing on my 2d art skills, predominantly colour theory:

User Posted Image

Mar 3 2013, 7:11am Anchor

Cartoon SoldierWip Soldier, Currently 3000 Polygons

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 4 2013, 3:40am Anchor

Heh, Lightflare. I like the helmet, but I don't think his head would fit in there ^^ Proportion and clothingwise I kinda thought it's a boyscout, or at least not a grown up. Is that about right? Remember the "S" shape of the human body. Giving the legs a bend now will make it easier placing bones and animating, later.

Been working on a rifle model, and now I make a piece of modular corridor (ceiling, walls, floor) to place it in. Hopefully, I'll have an update this week.

done_smoothing

--

User Posted Image

Mar 4 2013, 6:52pm Anchor

I've been working on 4 projects, trying to push each forward bit by bit. I got derailed last week making a sprite sheet generator but will get back to my games this week.

Two projects are kids games another is an RPG but I haven't opened it in months, and another is a platformer. 

One of the kids games you can ride 30 different animals, here's a picture of the pig lol:

This is what I worked on over the weekend, a little tool to pre-render 3d models to create tilesets or sprite sheets of animated sprites with a single click. You can set different shaders, different camera angles, and different lengths of frames. The video takes 8 frames, reduces them to 256x256 tiles, removes the pink background using the alpha channel, and packs them into a single 1024x512 png with transparent background:

Mar 6 2013, 5:44am Anchor

@SinKing, haha that is the style, helmet was meant to be bigger than the head so it'll look kinda cute . He's a soldier anyway all the details would be in the texture itself i havent think about how would i texture it since i have no ref at all just something in my mind.  
For the bones, i'm about to use CAT though never tried it for non accurate human anatomy(in other word: cartoony) and yeah S shape would be great thanks for reminding me i'll try the best.
Btw, Nice rifle there

Mar 6 2013, 6:24pm Anchor

Been working on a logo for a prototype game. Will go further as soon as I get a coder to add in the core of games functions. Happy with the logo now, more grimey matching the game.

Paintball Storm Logo

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Mar 6 2013, 7:35pm Anchor
SinKing wrote:
Been working on a rifle model, and now I make a piece of modular corridor (ceiling, walls, floor) to place it in. Hopefully, I'll have an update this week.

done_smoothing

Very nice sir!

J_C_A
J_C_A FBI Man
Mar 8 2013, 10:21am Anchor

TKAzA: Well done! Looks like there's still something weird going on in the teeth.

LightUpWarrior: Looks sort of like it could have been some cutscene/intro image of a game.

Lightflare: The neck looks thick. Maybe it could be thinner like the arms and legs are kinda thin. Or make them thicker. Feet could be longer too.

SinKing: Nice rifle and texture. I have a bit mixed feelings about the round part. Looks cool, but also kinda weird. Maybe it would fit better for a weapon with more other round parts.

shindig: The pig kinda reminds me of Hexen... Also the sprite generator looks useful.

arieas: Good logo. Maybe the background paint splat could be green? Now the Storm hides a bit in it.

--

I recorded some video showing player character running and jumping around, shooting stuff..

Player Animation Testing - Mod DB

--

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Mar 8 2013, 6:30pm Anchor

@Jimi, i think it needs more animation, seems to static, and you never replied to my pm...
RE: The bottom teeth are modelled and normalmapped, the top teeth are just the model baked onto the normal map.

@Sinking, im really digging that rifle, every time i look at it, i think how awesome it would look with some attachments.

Myself not me ranting about 3dcoats epicness, playing around with unity...
Here I was testing cloth physics with a tessellation shader, seemed to work in interesting ways, could develop into a game idea.

And here's a shot of a million polygon buggy in a model viewer I made in unity.
Its nothing special except the fact, unity can cope with this much data and render realtime shadows over a mesh, and it works on pc, android and web... simply fantastic program to take with you to a portfolio interview, why show static images when they can see your models in real-time, zoom pan and inspect them in detail.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Mar 8 2013, 6:49pm Anchor

Hey Tkaza, looking good! That cloth looks like a stellar body. Thanks for the comments :)

Unity seems amazing. A friend just bought Pro, and I can see great things coming for the engine. That buggy looks great in Unity!The onlything I'd do is make a nicer turntable. You know, some rubble and a piece of dust road. The low poly cylinder base amplifies the detail of the buggy, but it takes away from the overall impression.

I'm so far finished with the corridor. I was lazy and didn't triangulate before baking. That shows in a few places now, but I'm even more lazy and won't bake anything again ;)

ver.1

I feel like something is missing though. And also, I'll have to find out how to make bloody night in UDK, because all I get is less contrast.

* also TKaza - I can send you the model, if you wanna model some attachments. That'll be awesome, and of course, I'll credit you when I show it somewhere.

--

User Posted Image

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.