Forum Thread
by member
What is everyone working on? #2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : What is everyone working on? #2) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 268
Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Feb 25 2007, 5:36am Anchor
Dragonlord wrote:
Dark_Raver9 wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:
Dark_Raver9 wrote:and dragonlord, the animation looks god except the eyes one, its only vertical, you should add some horizontal movement
allso, is that ingame or rendered?

Ah yeah, I forgot that one :/ . That should not be that difficult to add. Those are Blender renders. It works ingame but I have no video capturing in the engine yet so I have to do it that way.

fraps doesent work?

I can't remember that this would run on linux, right?

oh yeah, your running linux :p srry forgot about that :)

oh and carni, dont listen to them, looks great :)
when can we test it btw? XD

--

°w°

TwinBeast
O
N
L
I
N
E
TwinBeast FBI Man
Feb 25 2007, 9:38am Anchor

I made a signature...

--

Quote:How about I give you the phonecall and you give me my finger!
Epi7aph
Epi7aph I listen to albums. (Formally StormÇrøw)
Feb 25 2007, 1:02pm Anchor

See that there is a lot more bearable than before.

--

ModDB Fucking Oldtimer and (ex) Crow
Who changed my signature!
Playlist
User Posted Image

Feb 25 2007, 1:06pm Anchor

Pure lies.

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 25 2007, 3:27pm Anchor

I'm working on a revamp of the Dark Source website for TKAzA, and here is a basic mock up I photoshopped. I'm going for something very atmospheric and I'm willing to lose some accesbility for it. BTW, there will be a content box near the middle that may keep going vertically down on the page. Here it is:

User Posted Image

I need opinions though, should I go Flash or just plain HTML/PHP?

Edited by: Sallycin

--

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Feb 25 2007, 3:31pm Anchor

NEVER ever loose usability/accessibility due to eye candy. The best eye candy page doesn't help you much if you can't get to your informations.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Feb 25 2007, 4:09pm Anchor
Dragonlord wrote:NEVER ever loose usability/accessibility due to eye candy. The best eye candy page doesn't help you much if you can't get to your informations.

Honestly though, what kind of extended functionality do you need for a mod website? All the clever PHP doesn't really need to leave the forums; the front end is mainly for information (about page and such), and to sell the look and feel of your mod to potential team members and players. I think the eye candy is the main thing there; and the navigation of Salohcins page looks fine to me. As long as you don't go as far as making a silly Flash page, functionality isn't really the most important thing for this application.

Edit: maybe a flash nevigation bar would work, otherwise leave Flash out of it. You can still do submenus in PHP can't you?

Edited by: Jambozal

--

User Posted Image
Sig courtesy of A hammy-bob mod christmas special 3 XD
Need help for: sound mastering, editing and recording, SFX creation or music? Drop me a PM

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Feb 25 2007, 4:13pm Anchor

You can write 3d engines in PHP, submenus are a snap ;)

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Feb 25 2007, 4:19pm Anchor
ambershee wrote:You can write 3d engines in PHP

Woah, I'd like to see that XD

--

User Posted Image
Need help for: sound mastering, editing and recording, SFX creation or music? Drop me a PM

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 25 2007, 4:34pm Anchor
Jambozal wrote:
ambershee wrote:You can write 3d engines in PHP

Woah, I'd like to see that XD

Hehe, would never have known that you could XD

--

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Feb 25 2007, 4:45pm Anchor

Google found me this:
Corephp.co.uk
Forums.bit-tech.net

Edited by: ambershee

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Feb 25 2007, 4:50pm Anchor
Jambozal wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:NEVER ever loose usability/accessibility due to eye candy. The best eye candy page doesn't help you much if you can't get to your informations.

Honestly though, what kind of extended functionality do you need for a mod website? All the clever PHP doesn't really need to leave the forums; the front end is mainly for information (about page and such), and to sell the look and feel of your mod to potential team members and players. I think the eye candy is the main thing there; and the navigation of Salohcins page looks fine to me. As long as you don't go as far as making a silly Flash page, functionality isn't really the most important thing for this application.

Oh, a lot. Usability and accessibility are more than having a corporate design or something like that. I just name here a few bad examples to illustrate what I mean ( I don't remember the URL of the sites so I call them just Site-X ).

1) Site-X has a small rectangular area ( most probably an IFrame ) containing text. The text window is surrounded by a graphic ( mostly why it is static in size ). Problem: The text window is rather small and on a large screen it is a tiny block in the middle of the page so you can't take advantage of your large screen to read without scrolling.

2) Site-X uses drop down menus. Since a web page is a web page and not an application this is a bad way of navigation. Disabling Javascript breaks nearly all except the most sophisticated implementations. Furthermore the menus happen to break on firefox and other W3C compliant browsers more than not ( typical example sub menus showing somewhere on the page but not below the menu or not at all ).

3) Site-X uses many different fonts and colors for text, links and headers. Navigation is difficult as you need to guess what text is now a link and what is text buy having to explicitly point on them.

4) Site-X has a dominating background. The color of the background is not uniform enough so no text color contrasts the background well enough to be read. Sometimes you even need to highlight all text to have a chance to read it.

There are of course other such examples. Flash has already been mentioned so I don't take it up once more. I hope you see where I am coming from. Graphic is good on web pages but page-ergonomy has still to be primary goal. At the end of the day the user wants informations as purdy graphic layouts won't tell him much about a project.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Feb 25 2007, 8:16pm Anchor

But it's all in the application. Bad design issues aside (all of those which you mentioned are awful, agreed), what is a mod web page there to do? I can identify only 1 thing: to give info on your project. It's not there to manage your life, just to let users see images, text and possibly music/video information. All of which doesn't require a very funcionality-centric design - all you need is a clear navigation bar. Submenus are in fact useful; it gives users more specific options, while allowing the design to remain clean. I think a sprawling and text-heavy nav bar is far less useful than a concise submenu-bar any day, especially with horizontal bars.

If you were making some kind of content management, user-login based site like ModDB, this would obviously be inappropriate. But given a mod site only has to display information (the forums are for user discussion, not the website front end), I feel the graphical design is much more important than the functionality - and more so if you want to reflect your mod's genre with the site design. As something which tries to do that, I think Salohcins design fits rather well, if being a little on the bare side at the moment.
Edit: and that'll probably be fixed when the content arrives in the middle, hopefully with custom title images etc. Do keep it going down the page though, it feels a little restricted at the moment - the shadows closing in at all sides etc

and:

ambershee wrote:Forums.bit-tech.net

:O

Edited by: Jambozal

--

User Posted Image

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Feb 25 2007, 8:40pm Anchor

:) Ive said to sally to expand on the current design i made a while ago

Darksourcegame.com

I like this design for 3 major reasons, its clean and well laid out
It’s very easy to modify and expand on.
It’s got a gallery and news all in one :D

Edited by: TKAzA

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 25 2007, 11:26pm Anchor

It has issues though, for example, the current gallery section won't work particularly well once you start amassing a larger amount of images. Imo it would be better to have a seperate page devoted to the gallery. Other thing that needs work is that it doesn't really fit the Dark Source theme.

--

rofl106
rofl106 da bomb
Feb 25 2007, 11:51pm Anchor

workin on a percussional for a competition over at concord a design site (basically anything artistic) i'll post it when the deadline is up. i've come a long way =)

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 26 2007, 1:08am Anchor

Random webcomic-ish charcter...

User Posted Image

--

krayzie
krayzie Max Abuser
Feb 26 2007, 6:23am Anchor

im workin on learning zbrush... just downloaded 2.0 demo

--

Jyffeh
Jyffeh I am arch jailbird scowl.
Feb 26 2007, 10:47am Anchor
Salohcin wrote:I need opinions though, should I go Flash or just plain HTML/PHP?

Flash wouldn't be that bad as long as it isn't overly shiny. Just don't over do it with visual effects.

--

User Posted Image

Yak.RUS wrote:We had a girl in my school that took LCD and now she thinks shes a balloon for the rest of her life.
Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Feb 26 2007, 8:41pm Anchor

Wraiythie has been working on a new main menu for NightFall. Wraiythies code is awesome, but Wraiythie cannot yet show you

Jyffeh
Feb 26 2007, 8:50pm Anchor

OOMPH! - Goldenes Herz

Edit: Shit, wrong thread! :o

Edited by (in order): Jyffeh, Jyffeh

--

User Posted Image

Yak.RUS wrote:We had a girl in my school that took LCD and now she thinks shes a balloon for the rest of her life.
Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Feb 26 2007, 8:51pm Anchor

I did that before, I went to post what I was listening to, and accidentally posted in another thread.
Its a curse!

Jyffeh
Feb 26 2007, 8:54pm Anchor

Yeah, I had it open on another tab and I wasn't paying close enough attention. :redface:

--

User Posted Image

mac89
mac89 Perfection in your mind
Feb 27 2007, 8:16am Anchor

Tried a fun plugin for photoshop and I managed to roll out this, this is for the LotR Total War btw:
User Posted Image

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Feb 27 2007, 10:51am Anchor

Nice work, the cropping on that rock is a bit out though. Otherwise I like the foggy atmosphere 8)

--

User Posted Image

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.