Forum Thread
What engine would support this gamemode? (Arma 2 Wasteland mod revamp) (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : What engine would support this gamemode? (Arma 2 Wasteland mod revamp)) Locked
Thread Options
Da_maniaC
Da_maniaC www.zdaemon.org
Sep 2 2016 Anchor

Hi all,

I have been playing with this idea for some time now... i was hoping to get some input and/or perhaps find kindred spirit here.

Idea:

Arma 2 Wasteland logo

I am looking into creating a remake for a specific Arma 2 mod (mission file) called Wasteland. the reason for this is that i think the gameplay concept is really cool and a great multiplayer experience. Yet, for people who are also familiar with Arma 2 (and even Arma 3) would also know that the engine as well as the netcode is very outdated and that the technical approach of these core elements negatively impact the online gaming experience.

For people that are interested in finding out more about the mod, here's a movie showing some gameplay: Click (Youtube)

I will explain what the game/gamemode is about and what i think makes it so cool:

• Online mutliplayer sandbox experience up to 80-100 players
  • Right balance between simulative gameplay (bullet ballistics to name an example) and 'hardcore' gun action (though there's room for improvement and smoothing things out)
  • Very large (realistic looking) maps eg. Chernarus with an area size of 12 km x 12 km
  • 3 factions to play in (Blue, Red or Independent where you can also create your own closed group of players)
  • Setting: Present day somewhat (eg. not post-apocalyptic, not WW1/WW2, no sci-fi modern-warfare)
  • Present day ordnance and material/fleet (vehicles both military and civilian)
  • Several objectives (whatever you feel like); PvP, NPC Missions for better loot, Base-building, Skirmish

We usually play this game with a group of friends (while connected to Teamspeak) ranging from 4 to 8 people and we have a blast. Often we end up doing a combination of objectives at the same time where one helps the other (Eg. out for PvP to get kills, build a small base where you can retreat to or re-arm yourself, play missions for better weapons or ordnance). The freedom you have during such a sandbox experience really makes anything go... run around as a 2 man sniper team, blow up 4 guys driving past you on the road in a Lada using an IED or wreak havoc in a tank on someone else's base. This makes the game very entertaining and refreshing every time you play (you always end up in different kind of battles and so on).

Having played this game for several years and being fairly familiar with Arma this does also bring its cons to light and they tend to get very annoying and negatively impact the fun gaming experience. For example; the renderer works in a way where every object is rendered for every player on the map connected to the server, this creates lag on the client side. Having more objects\actors (eg. players, vehicles, buildings) in close range to you slows down the game tremendously and impacts your framerate. This seems to play a far bigger role during multiplayer where you would still get 200 FPS in an offline game but drop below 30-35 FPS during an online game. The netcode is obnoxious and synced to and through all players connected to the server. This gives a huge latency in packet updates before you can see other actors/players actually move. As an example this makes tradekills almost a 50% chance of happening in a face to face gunfight (which should actually be a rarity).

So, turning to all of the modders here...eventually the goal of this thread would be to find out what the chances would be to create a similar gameplay on a different game engine. One that is more modern and better suited for a gamemode this size. I have some experience in modding games and am seriously reconsidering to pick this back up. I think doing too much different projects at the same time negatively impacts progress so i am looking for something to devote myself to (and what better way to stay motivated if the goal is something you really like and like to achieve).

Some additional screenshots to give you an idea of the great feel and atmosphere this game (and setting) has:

Could anyone perhaps comment if (technically) it would be possible to realise such a gamemode as a mod for CS:GO for example?

Would it be possible to run a large skirmish/sandbox gamemode on that engine? (just an idea i'm having...).

Any CSGO modders out there who would like to comment on that idea? :)

*BUMP*

Hi all, is there anyone out there that might want to share some insights perhaps? :)

What engine do you think would have the proper support to create such a mod and/or allow a sandbox experience with 60 to perhaps 100 people in a large map (ie. 10 square km).

If i look at games like PUBG i do really think they could have potential with some gameplay tweaks here and there. Although they have stated modding support will not be available for a long time to come...

Edited by: Da_maniaC

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.