Forum Thread
Unreal Engine 3 Royalites question! (Forums : Suggestions : Unreal Engine 3 Royalites question!) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 15 2013 Anchor

Any Engine that looks/can make graphics like this? (Not UDK).
S3.amazonaws.com

So i was wondering what how much Epic takes after the 50K thing? Like if i make a Million dollars on my game will they take 30% like apple or will the take like 50%?

Also do i have to pay to put on let say consoles? like Unity or is all free (excluding Console Fees)? Any used it before?

- Thanks
Sorry for my English as it is my second language.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Dec 15 2013 Anchor

It's stated pretty clearly on EPIC'S site (there are even various examples). The first 50k ($!) you make are "free", everything beyond that gets the 25% royalties. So If you make 60k with the game, you pay 2.5k to Epic. If you make a million you pay 237 500$ to EPIC. Add to that the STEAM fees (or any other publisher). It doesn't seem fair, but EPIC is known to strike deals for a full engine license with projects that interest them and have potential for high sales.

I forgot the name, but that hyped Mech game from last year started out on UDK and then upgraded to the full license.

Personally, I'm hoping they eather raise the threshhold from 50 to 100k or at least make some difference between entire teams developing a prototype for PC and one guy making a mobile game. 50k is a lot to the individual, but it's nothing to a team of developers. Unity is always an option, but the shaders and vehicle physics you get with UDK are far beyond the Unity tech.

Edited by: SinKing

--

User Posted Image

Dec 15 2013 Anchor

SinKing wrote: Unity is always an option, but the shaders and vehicle physics you get with UDK are far beyond the Unity tech.

Would disagree; Unity 4 now fully supports DirectX 11 and it is up to you to code in your own shaders and physics or use loads of shaders either straight from the community or from the Unity asset store - whether they would be below or above par "base" UDK tech.

SinKing
SinKing bumps me thread
Dec 15 2013 Anchor

Yes, I misformulated. It's possible to achieve the same, if not better quality in Unity than UDK, but you have to make everything from scratch or invest some extra money into assets, shaders, etc. Or you can crawl up someone's butt on the Unity forums, until they give you a rebate ^^. UDK lets you use its great content out of the box + you buy Unity Pro per seat and UDK per team. Both have their advantages. Unity Pro has the best renderer available, while UDK just gives you its horrible standard lightmapper. If you are a coder and know what you are doing, Unity can look most stunning.

Edited by: SinKing

--

User Posted Image

Dec 16 2013 Anchor

SinKing wrote:
I forgot the name, but that hyped Mech game from last year started out on UDK and then upgraded to the full license.

That's Hawken! :)

And what you guys are saying about Unity might be true, I don't know enough about the whole rendering part. However, there are other things you REALLY should look into before picking Unity as your engine, make a Tech Specc and check in whether Unity facilitates what you want to do. We had quite a few big challenges when it came to technical solutions, such as the terrain renderer. Still there's a lot of good stuff with Unity too, I'd like to add how good it is to compile c# and iterate quickly, compared to UDK where it's a bit of hustle to write actual code.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.