Forum Thread
The 25 dumbest moments in Gaming history according to gamespy (Forums : General Banter : The 25 dumbest moments in Gaming history according to gamespy) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 11 2003 Anchor

Gamespy.com

Why, Why, Why?

Dumb, adj. (dûm): Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid.
If there's only one constant in human history, it's dumbness. A quick glance at the history books gives example after embarrassing example. What was the cause of Custer's last stand? Why did Russia sell Alaska for 2.5 cents per acre? And how did Pauly Shore get a movie career? The answer is always, in large part, dumbness. No matter how smart we humans think we are, we're inevitably brought down by glaring examples of sheer stupidity that will make us the laughing stock of future generations of doddering dumbheads who will themselves end up making similar mistakes, perpetuating the cycle and contributing to the never-ending flow of human stupidity.

Given the above, it's no wonder that video gaming's otherwise fine history is pockmarked with moments of ineptness so extreme, so pointless, so unnecessary that we couldn't help but compile them into an article to dissect and poke fun at them some more. What exactly will you find here? We're talking bad business deals, egregious ego trips, lame lawsuits, unmarketable consoles, puerile propaganda and everything in between. So, sit back, turn off your brain, and take a dive into the 25 Dumbest Moments in Gaming.

#25 Ion Storm's Final Option
User Posted Image

#24 Myscha's Ponytail Caper
User Posted Image

#23 Sega Breaks the Saturn Pad
User Posted Image

#22 Valve's PowerPlay Initiative

#21 Atari Takes a Bath on E.T.
User Posted Image

#20 Universal Goes Ape
User Posted Image

#19 VHS: The Future of Gaming
User Posted Image

#18 Never Bet on the Duke

#17 Acclaim vs. Mirra
User Posted Image

#16 Designing Shaq's Controller
User Posted Image

#15 Data East's Hypocritical Adventure
[IMAGE]

#14 GBA Design Oversights
[IMAGE]

#13 Attack of the Vaporware Consoles
[IMAGE]

#12 Acclaim's Shameless Marketing Ploys
[IMAGE]

#11 The Most Expensive Keyboard Ever
[IMAGE]

#10 What's Black, Red, and Bombed All Over? [IMAGE]

#9 Eidos' Texas Scramble [IMAGE]

#8 Nintendo: From Hero to Zero [IMAGE]

#7 The Multimedia "Revolution" User Posted Image

#6 Tengen's Tale of Tetris Treachery [IMAGE]

#5 Romero Threatens to Make You His Bitch

#4 Sega Jumps the Gun, Gets Shot User Posted Image

#3 Sam Tramiel: Talkin' Crazy 'Bout Jaguar [IMAGE]

#2 Nintendo's Slap on the Wrist

#1 Atari Misses the Money Train User Posted Image

- Edited By JadeDingo On Fri 13th, Jun 2003 @ 11:16:36am

--

Sachmo The Wang™ and me™ are property of modDB© Dead Aim Clear Score: 41mins 16secs beat that biaotch!!
User Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

natko1
natko1 Jesus was homeless
Jun 11 2003 Anchor

All too true...were you get that from?

--

I'm around. Will be active soon.

Jun 11 2003 Anchor

stupid gamespy linkage...

i got an email from gamespy about it

--

Sachmo The Wang™ and me™ are property of modDB© Dead Aim Clear Score: 41mins 16secs beat that biaotch!!
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Jun 11 2003 Anchor

I personally like the larger Xbox controller better than the new small one. It feels more sturdy in my hands. I prefer the black and white buttons on the bottom though.

jacksonj04
jacksonj04 Over 9000
Jun 11 2003 Anchor

lol, some people were't thinking straight...

--

Barcode Imagejacksonj04 the generally helpful one
Lost, confused or just need a virtual cuddle? PM me.
Need urgent help from staff? PM us all.

Jun 11 2003 Anchor

huh?

Tei
Tei Enginecoder
Jun 11 2003 Anchor

I know some C64 games crash because where un-playable. Use a HUGE budget to generate a unplayable game, and you will lose mountains of money. Anyway some games where also unplayable and have some sucess, like Ghostbuster for C64.

You cant say "I understand the videogame industri" because thas is imposible.

update:

He... actually donkey kong was one of my prefered C64 titles. Good that MCA whas eat is own stupidity. And the coder for the C64 version whas a cool guy, too!..

Other C64 game:

World Karate Championship----- ugly, look like made in basic. ''Exploding Fish'' or hell is name was better

- Edited By Tei On Wed 11th, Jun 2003 @ 8:24:55pm

Jun 11 2003 Anchor

40ozFreak wrote: I personally like the larger Xbox controller better than the new small one. It feels more sturdy in my hands. I prefer the black and white buttons on the bottom though.

i agree with you 40oz, i love the bigger controler i think its easier to hold than the small ones

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Jun 12 2003 Anchor

Yeah my Xbox came with the fat controller. My friend has the smaller one, I didn't like it as much.

The controller I hate the most is the f00kin GCN one. It's so awkward, with buttons in strange places. I have no idea how to use it.

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Jun 12 2003 Anchor

Most people I know prefer the GCN controller. O_o The buttons aren't in strange places, they are mostly the same as the others, just different shapes so you can find the right button. And also, most people I know hate the X-Box controller (the original one).

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Jun 12 2003 Anchor

I'm the exact opposite. :O

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Jun 12 2003 Anchor

Yes, I know.

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Jun 12 2003 Anchor

f3wl you know nothing ya nobody

Jun 12 2003 Anchor

sad fact is that the big ones arent in production anymore... smaller ones are standard :(

oh and #10-#6 are posted

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Greg
Greg Network Engineer
Jun 12 2003 Anchor

#1 Invention of the word wang

--

Greg
DBolical Network Engineer

Jun 12 2003 Anchor

That should be in the 25 greatest moments.

Jun 13 2003 Anchor

All 25 are now up

if out of all of them, the #2 is the best read out of all of them. Its a very interesting tale indeed

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Jun 13 2003 Anchor

Yeah I read it, nice. Money-grubbing Japs - I bet now they wish they still had 90% of the market, they need some positive revenue.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.