Forum Thread
[RPG Project] Gliese 581 D. (Forums : Recruiting & Resumes : [RPG Project] Gliese 581 D.) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 9 2009 Anchor

Hello, there people.

My name is Hans, and I have an awesome game idea.
After reading that you will probably think, "Oh here's another guy who just created an account, and has the idea for the next best thing."

If you are thinking that, then in fact you're right. I do think I have the next best thing, but I'll get to that later.
Personally I am not as naive to think I can pull off a AAA game in my spare time. These things are huge, in time, money, and skill.
Skill, and unfortunately money, which I do not possess. All I do is write stories, which is not exactly all there is to it.
And due to my meagre technical skills I currently only have a rudimentary concept, the story I wrote, and the game I want to play.

Which brings me here. What I am for now looking for is three people who are experienced, and are willing to just talk with me.
Tell me what things i need to look out for, what issues there are in my concept, and how to improve those.
Eventually I want those three people to see the project through from concept to creation.
Of course we will be required to recruit more then three people in total, but for now, this is all I need.

The story itself will be released as a book sometime in the next two years (if it comes out of the slushpiles.)

It is set on the planet Gliese, and it is a somewhat traditional fantasy story. It is at times quite dark, and depressing.
There won't be dragons, or elves. The fantasy comes from the magic used, and the use of demons, and an afterlife.
And of course the semi fictional setting of Gliese. The planet exists, but of course there won't be an idiot waving a wand on there right now.
The story itself is rather standard, around the 120k words, however the world itself is huge. I have written about 1.5mil words describing it, and it's factions. And it has taken me the better part of the last eight years to create.

I prefer to stay rather vague in regards to the story itself on the message board due to it's public nature.

In regards to gameplay I am torn between two styles of play. I like both Western and Asian styled RPG's, the difference being mostly in the combat system. The turnbased, or the live action gameplay. My personal preference would be the turn based gameplay, however I realise this is pretty unpopular outside of Asia.

It will feature levelling similar to the Sphere-grid as seen in FFX.
At the start of the game the player will be given stone tablets, and a book.
The stone tablets are his skill distribution menu. Which for lack of a better example will be akin to the sphere grid.
During the player's travels he, or she will find more stone tablets. These unlock new paths to level the character into.

The book will be a quest log, and spell book.
Most spells are found.
The tablet system is only for passive character development. It has some spells/skills here and there but nothing significant.
When the player finds a spell the character will add it to the spell book. Eventually the character can adorn his armour with written spells to protect him/her self.

Magic will be important regardless of your choice of style. If you choose to be a melee fighter you will receive spells to augment that. However they will always be magic in nature.

The setting of this story would be a hybrid between 9th century northern Europe, and 2nd - 3rd century China. In regards to "vibe," technology, and political climate. It may sound odd but in regards to technology these time lines somewhat overlap. During this time China was in the three kingdoms era. And Europe had a strong Viking force to deal with.

The engine I have in mind is of course UDK, there have been RPG's released on Unreal3, Mass Effect comes to mind.

The main thing I want to do with this project is to create a small level, no longer then 60-120 minutes in length.
See where that goes, and if there is enough interest in the project, perhaps go mental, and do a full RPG adventure.

My hopes and wishes are to eventually attract enough interest to receive cooperate backing from a publisher.
And even if I don't, at least I, and perhaps you, the reader, will have had the experience to add to a portfolio.

And for more info on the planet,

The planet is named after Wilhelm Gliese, a German astronomer from the 20th century.
It is over eight times larger then planet Earth, it lays in the constellation Libra.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_d

Anyway, if you are interested, you can contact me on this topic, or by PM.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.