Forum Thread
QUAKE 1 vehicle mod? (Forums : Development Banter : QUAKE 1 vehicle mod?) Locked
Thread Options
AttorneyAtPaw
AttorneyAtPaw Angry White Man in Massachusetts
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

I'm thinkng that we should create a mod for Q1 much like the original Aliens mod for DOOM. You start out as whatever model you choose (probably a scout or basic soldier) and all around the planet/base, there will be what appear to be vehicles, robotic suits, large gundham type things but instead of driving them, the code will actually have your model change so the physics are identical to the regular model instead of adding vehicle physics.

I know it's rough but I needed to throw it out for consideration.
So when you entered the radius of item X (a robotic suit) your model would simply change in dimension to that of the unit.
Am I making sense or making a mess?

Is this possible? I'd like the units to have unique weapon sprites and effects. I can't figure out how you would change the model after you entered the change radius event area unless I make a depot area which will automatically eject you from your vehicle or suit and start repairs on the vehicle.

If this is impossible, someone tell me now as I don't want to waste the time of the community or myself.

Is it possible to have a model of a skeleton that you can actually see through but it holds on to all the same phsyics as a regular model. I was thinking on the lines of XO Man O War armor or transparisteel armor with only a barely visible outline for stealth.

I'm too new at this to figure it so I figured I'd throw it out there to see what happens.
In reality, I'll probably just get picked on and spammed but such is the cost of greatness. (so I'm told)

--

It's too funny that the earliest I can go for my birth year is 1971. I was born in 1967, I guess I'm too old for even the extreme edge of this envelope.
:devious:

Oh well.
:dead:

Have another Absolut Raz n Diet 7 Up
:sick:

e-labs.ecion
e-labs.ecion Teh Official modDB BoobMan
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

I don't know.. u should think about quake 3 or something.. a little more up to date than q1. more and more games are comming out now that are continously replacing the 'oldies'.. I am not saying it's a bad idea ur having.. but consider a newer engine.

--

E-Labs.Ecion ~~ Official modDB BoobMan ™
---
modDB Senior Member *yay*

Jun 6 2004 Anchor

no one mods quake3 anymore. and its community sucks.

if you want a vehicle mod there is some ini scripting and modelling you can do for CnC Generals. but quake1 is fitting considering its community is still alive unlike q3's ever wasting life. :P

AttorneyAtPaw
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

I don't want just vehicles though. i mean that would be good too but if I recall, wasn't there a real issue in getting the train to run smoothly on one of the mods? Can a Q1 mod be compiled for HL Cstrike?
If so, since i already and addicted to maps for CS, I'd love to give it a shot.

Hopefully I can learn how to do this within the next few weeks and have something concrete to show.
I'm sure you'll help me carni as you are just such a helpful guy. Maybe GUNrunNER could help too. Some of the skins I've seen him do are awesome.

When you get a chance, share out your mod portfolio for me to review and tell me where to start.

Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully i can get something completed before the end of the month.

I love that image by the way. Didn't you do that map for CS too? Isn;t that the one with the dark corridor (need nightvision goggles) and the clipping block that stops bullets in the rear tunnels?

--

It's too funny that the earliest I can go for my birth year is 1971. I was born in 1967, I guess I'm too old for even the extreme edge of this envelope.

Oh well.

Jun 6 2004 Anchor

When you get a chance, share out your mod portfolio for me to review and tell me where to start.

i dont know what you mean by this.

I love that image by the way. Didn't you do that map for CS too? Isn;t that the one with the dark corridor (need nightvision goggles) and the clipping block that stops bullets in the rear tunnels?

yesh. :D

e-labs.ecion
e-labs.ecion Teh Official modDB BoobMan
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

looks like a good map :)

--

E-Labs.Ecion ~~ Official modDB BoobMan ™
---
modDB Senior Member *yay*

AttorneyAtPaw
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

Carni, I'll write up exactly what I think I want, the weapon models, a general set of map layouts, the color, sound and damage effects as well. I am thinking more on the lines of a battelfield with futuristic tanks, trenches, armored power suits and some ballistic effects.
I'm babbling so I am not communicating what i mean as well as I could.
Just wait until I get it in writing and I'll send it to your RU1337 account.
I know GUNrunNER will help out too. I want to review the code you discussed to show the transitional movement plan too.
TY
Later!
:devious: :beard: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :sick:

--

Oh well.

Jun 6 2004 Anchor

raga, ;)

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jun 6 2004 Anchor

Been done

Planetquake.com
Planetquake.com
Planetquake.com (stalker)

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jun 6 2004 Anchor

Hey, don't reinvent the wheel dumbass.

AttorneyAtPaw
Jun 7 2004 Anchor

Thanks for the links!

--

Oh well.

AttorneyAtPaw
Jun 7 2004 Anchor

Since CheapAlert gave me some links to things that I had wanted to do but have already been done, I guess we should close this. Since I'm a noob and not an admin, can you close this for me CheapAlert?
Does anyone here ever play AirQuake. That game rocks. That is exactly what I was looking for in a Q1 mod.

Stalker was great too. I've never seen that around here so I'm going to be spending much time learning all about it this week. Lots of weapon hoices in that.
Cheapy---Did you relly do all those mods? If so, which was the hardest one to code or complete? I'm at work so I can't play it but I'm grabbing farce.zip since it says that it strives for realism.

Is that the engine you like working with the most or is it the one you're most comfortable with when modding?

And lastly, how many sites are you running. I think I've seen like 6 sites you are on and or hosting.
Thanks again,
H

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
:devious: :de: :dead:

--

Oh well.

Tei
Tei Enginecoder
Aug 10 2004 Anchor

I still play.. battlefieled 1942, and Quake1, but not Airquake because you can get online players :(

Anyway more airquake alike mods can be cool :D

Aug 10 2004 Anchor

Omfg, why did you bring up such a dead topic. You die now :|

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Tei
Tei Enginecoder
Aug 18 2004 Anchor

necromancy its all about pretty things

dEaThMaStEr
dEaThMaStEr modDB Pile of Twigs
Aug 18 2004 Anchor

lol, not only was this bumped, but by tei? :P I never see u post here.. lol

Aug 18 2004 Anchor

He actually bumped it twice :|

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Aug 18 2004 Anchor

Why bump if no-one's gonna talk? :|

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.