Themes
Forum Thread
by member
Project 4 Seasons (Mobile) (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : Project 4 Seasons (Mobile)) Locked
Thread Options
Jun 6 2013, 11:08pm Anchor

User Posted Image
(Controls: W,A,S,D: move, LMB: Use/Eat/Enter/etc., MMB: Switch between last tool and hand/Save item on hand in the bag, L Shift: Run)
gameplay test not available anymore

Hey indiedb community, I'm here to show you guys my work, I'm not posting any article on the page because I'm just making small updates and I want to create a article only when I get a gameplay video. Oh, and it's not related to that hotels and resorts stuff.

Anyway, this game I'm inspiring in the harvest moon games, no doubt, in the game, the player will be able to grow crops, take care of animals, go fishing, mining and so on, I'm not really sure of all it's features because I'm working hard on art and programming, as the development goes, I'll be deciding what will be in the game.

I hope I can get some feedback through here... :P
IndieDB Project Page

EDITS: 
- Ok, now that I restarted everything over again: I'm woking on it since July 22 :P
- Gameplay video coming soon!

Edited by: YorkGameStudio

Jul 25 2013, 5:55am Anchor

Not a whole lot to go on, but the graphics look decent for mobile.
Let me know when you've got more on paper--I'm a product marketer casting around for a game project to get involved with.

Jul 30 2013, 2:47pm Anchor

Well, I restarted everything over...
I wasn't liking where it was going so started from scratch, but I'm pretty sure you gonna like it how it will be.

grouchbag
grouchbag I art grouchier than thou.
Jul 30 2013, 10:59pm Anchor

Looks great to me.Is it for Android? 8)

--

"sweet"  little old lady

Jul 31 2013, 9:31am Anchor

Glad you liked it, but I'm afraid to say that the graphics will change a 'little bit'... :S
It will be for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry 10.

Aug 1 2013, 12:33pm Anchor

Looking good, like Wii Gardening! : D

Aug 5 2013, 6:33am Anchor

Hey guys!
I made version for tests, it's on the link:
User Posted Image

Let me know what do you think!

Aug 5 2013, 8:37am Anchor

I've tested it and I can't say much about the gameplay at this stage. If there was a way to harvest your crops, I couldn't find it out. The animations of the character were fine. Something I noticed was that the reddish lighting from the sun when it's about to set came too early and that the shadows from the moonlight were not moving like the moon is static. Also, I think during very early in the morning (around 4-5 a.m.) I noticed my FPS drop to 18, but I don't know if it had to do with the game or my PC. That's all and keep working on it! I'm looking forward to the full game (Harvest Moon fan here).

Aug 5 2013, 12:35pm Anchor

Finally, a hm fan! ^^
The "harvesting crops system" is not ready yet, you can harvest only one crop if you leave the active item on "Empty", I want to make the crops stackable =p Also, the player is not tossing the items when the count reach 0, I need to mess around with some arrays... About the moon... I haven't animated it yet, I will do that today. I don't know what's happening with the fps dropping, the game it's the same at all the time, there is no events or something like this... it's really strange, but I'm gonna fix that too...

Aug 5 2013, 1:43pm Anchor
YorkGameStudio wrote:Finally, a hm fan! ^^
The "harvesting crops system" is not ready yet, you can harvest only one crop if you leave the active item on "Empty", I want to make the crops stackable =p Also, the player is not tossing the items when the count reach 0, I need to mess around with some arrays... About the moon... I haven't animated it yet, I will do that today. I don't know what's happening with the fps dropping, the game it's the same at all the time, there is no events or something like this... it's really strange, but I'm gonna fix that too...

HM rocks! I'm still waiting for a PC release of a HM game. Until then, I'll keep emulating other consoles to play.

I couldn't set the active item on "Empty". About the fps, maybe my antivirus was updating or something and used up my CPU.

Aug 5 2013, 2:26pm Anchor
swyrazik wrote:
YorkGameStudio wrote:Finally, a hm fan! ^^

HM rocks! I'm still waiting for a PC release of a HM game. Until then, I'll keep emulating other consoles to play.

I couldn't set the active item on "Empty". About the fps, maybe my antivirus was updating or something and used up my CPU.

Same here twice.
But I think that's never happen, seems like natsume only like consoles and portable... :/

You can change the active item using the scroll wheel.
Then it could be that, anyway I changed somethings to decrease the draw calls...

Aug 5 2013, 3:39pm Anchor
YorkGameStudio wrote:

Same here twice.
But I think that's never happen, seems like natsume only like consoles and portable... :/

You can change the active item using the scroll wheel.
Then it could be that, anyway I changed somethings to decrease the draw calls...

True. If only my art skills were not horrible, I would try to make a HM-like PC game, like this one you're working on.

I found out how to change the active item, but I don't recall seeing an "Empty" item. Maybe I just ignored it.

Aug 5 2013, 5:14pm Anchor

Hmm, that's really odd...
I changed the way the things works now, just press the middle mouse button to switch between your last item and your hand, if you use (left mouse button) the hand on the crops it will harvest, then the crop will be stored on the hands (it will show hands busy holding: [item name]) then, you can save it on your bag using your middle mouse button (if there is enough space) or eat, it will recover a little of your stamina.
Let me know if this is working there in your browser, maybe it's some conflict between old .unity3d files...
And I also fixed the moon rotation issue...

Aug 5 2013, 6:55pm Anchor

Oh I haven't pressed the scroll wheel, I was just rolling it. It works fine. The (moon)lighting is also better.

Aug 11 2013, 3:59pm Anchor

Made some updates, now the tool renderer switch to the right one (disable all the others and enable the right one, I'm thinking of use the material for all the tools and a texture atlas for them and change only the mesh filter when switching tools), also, it will sync the tools on database with the tools on the scene hierarchy automatically, then it will disable all the renderers and activate only the renderer of the active tool, that was kinda hard for me to do because I needed to search automatically on the scene hierarchy (child of the hand transform of course) all the renderers the player has on his hand, store on an array according to the database tools array order, so I can enable and disable the right renderer using an enum (the same I use for acess the right tool data on database) as index of the renderer array, then everything becomes dynamic and well organized.

TEST IT, and give me some feedback. :P

Ok, now I have something cooler and more concrete to show:User Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted Image

Aug 13 2013, 8:01pm Anchor

It looks better now. You forgot to increment the year after each winter ends, so I'm always at year 1. Should be an easy fix, though.

Aug 14 2013, 12:25pm Anchor

Thanks! I did see that but I forgot to fix... I'll get that fixed later..

thanks a lot!

Aug 16 2013, 5:56am Anchor

Quite interesting game!

Aug 17 2013, 12:02am Anchor

Wow awesome progress! You mentioned this was a mobile game? Im curious what the controls would feel like on a touch device. It might take a bit of a redesign to get it to feel right. I was imagining a touch waypoint system for movement, kind of like diablo's right click. It would also have to be context sensitive to the square you tapped on.

Looks great, can't wait for more updates!

Aug 18 2013, 1:56pm Anchor

Hey, thank you guys!

So, about that, I was thinking about making a virtual joypad drawn on the screen, I'm testing here and it feels good to play, but I like your idea! Maybe I could do both ways...

Thanks for the support and feedbacks, stay tuned for more updates! ^^

Oh, and follow me on twitter, I follow back!

Thanks a lot!

Ok, one more thing:

Now the character grabs and holds the crop object, it need some improvements and tweaks though.

bye!

Hi people!So, here is a list of a somethings that I’ve been working on the 4 Seasons project:Some trail on the tool being used (if there is movement)User Posted ImageSome new crops (and its plants)User Posted ImageSome fx when using the hoe on the ground (there is some mud particles being spreaded but it’s not very noticeable)ImageUser Posted ImageWhen switching items, the current items get shrinked and then it disappear and the item that will be visible smoothly grows and them appear (like the Harvest Moon games for wii)User Posted ImageThe time system, the only way I found (on mobile) to show the player in a visual way what time is was popping up the shading on the characters, among other objects) where the light is hitting and gradually changing the directional light color between stages of the day. The last frame is actually the moon light, when the clock hits around 6:30 PM the sun light starts to fade off and the moon light starts to fade in, and then when the sun light intensity hits 0, the sun light is disabled, the same is made on the moon light.User Posted Image(these shots are from the editor but it runs smoothly on mobile, 60fps)The NPC dialog, still pretty simple butUser Posted ImageI made many more things like the planting system that is working perfect (well, for me), you plow the soil, throw the seed, and water it everyday and the crops starts to grow there, pretty simple and it’s working ok (until some random bug pop up from nowhere). The portals system for other maps it’s working okay too, I little fade out – fade in on camera for the transitions. A persistency script so we do not see duplicates (like a singleton I guess) and also, the soil variables will persist when going to other levels. There are mooore things, but that’s it for now…Thanks for your time!

FURNISHING SYSTEM

There are still some minor bugs, but it’s working very well.User Posted Image The furnitures can be selected on the current scene, a selection box appears around the selected one.
 User Posted ImageIt gets red when the selected furniture gets obstructed by another furniture.
 User Posted ImageThere are an special inventory for the furnitures that the player have but he doesn’t want to place yet…
 User Posted Image… here it goes…
 And of course they can also be removed from the scene:User Posted ImageUser Posted Image
 Thanks!

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.