Forum Thread
Prey for $32 (Forums : PC Gaming : Prey for $32) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
JoeX111
JoeX111 Tilting at windmills
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

If, like me, you are on something of a budget at the moment and would like to pick up a copy of Prey, you can now get it much cheaper at your local BestBuy. While it is currently only marked down in-store to $39.99 (which is the lowest currently marked price for it that I've seen), there is also a coupon in the latest issue of GamePro (#215) that knocks $10 off the price, assuming you use it before the end of August at a BestBuy store. Now, it costs about $7 for the magazine, but there is nothing keeping you from ripping the coupon out of an open issue in your local Supermarket, since there is always an open one around. ¬_¬ It's in the middle of the book with a little cardboard tabby thing making it easy to locate. If you are going the thieving route, it's only a corner of the page, though I don't condone your theft, kids!

Thus, coupled together, the final price comes to something like $32.38, which isn't half bad, considering it is still going for almost double that in most stores.

This deal also works for the Xbox 360 version as well, though I'm not sure if the 360 version of Prey dropped in price or not.

Edited by (in order): JoeX111, JoeX111

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

I got my copy for twenty quid anyway. Haven't played it much yet, far too busy :(

Malarkie
Malarkie Disregarding all new evidence everywhere
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

It's not that great. The gimmicks wear off in a few hours.

--

The other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, jut to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one...stayed up!

Aug 13 2006 Anchor

shows the value of the game
most games of late are in the 20$ bin within a month or 2
yet hl is still ~60$ and hl2 stil ~80$
goes to show you can have portals and wall walking but if the game was boring (doom3) or over hyped (boling point road to hell)
you get shit

i still think ppl prefer basic core gameplay and a intresting story rather that stupid features

Malarkie
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

Hooray
A similar gamer to me.

--

The other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, jut to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one...stayed up!

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

TKAzA wrote: shows the value of the game
most games of late are in the 20$ bin within a month or 2
yet hl is still ~60$ and hl2 stil ~80$
goes to show you can have portals and wall walking but if the game was boring (doom3) or over hyped (boling point road to hell)
you get shit

i still think ppl prefer basic core gameplay and a intresting story rather that stupid features

I don't know about Australia, but in America HL2 is $35 and HL1 is about $5 in a bargain bin. Sorry, HL is not the god of games and will not retail for full price forever.

--

Aug 13 2006 Anchor

besides the fact prey is new and bargan bin already along with many other new games.

Malarkie
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

I agree with the part about HL not being the god of games, but where did you find HL 2 for $35? I had to pay fifty two months ago.

--

Aug 13 2006 Anchor

i saw HL2 for ~$20 to get rid of the VU copies. The GotY ones are $30-40 depending on where you go. They'll just do what they did with HL1 & re-package it every 4 months to keep the price up but you can still find "old" copies for cheap. :D It actuatly dropped in price REALLY fast after release. ~$30/40 ~3 months after release (probley because most people who wanted it pre-ordered it).

That's a great price for Prey. If I just didn't drop $100 on some other software I'd get that. Don't forget e-bay though. You can get prey for ~$30 new w/shipping on the bay. I got FEAR from there for $15 last month. If you don't mind waiting for game then that's a great resource. :)

I'm not sure what you guys consider "bargan gin" eigther. anything above $10 is NOT considered bin worthy. Must be under $10 to be a bin game. So far not many major releases released in the past 2 years have reached that status yet. However if you can find $5 copies of SS:Gold Edition I recomend picking up several. ;)

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Malarkie
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

FEAR is worth any price, first favorite shooter.
And I think around $25 is a bargain.

--

Baza
Baza Professional Idiot and Aussie Hobo
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

So sad... I'm involved with a tonne of HL2 mods... and I don't even have HL2 yet! O_o

--

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

User Posted Image

VAU: amateurs with proessional standards

Malarkie
Aug 13 2006 Anchor

That is sad.

I also like youre sig.

--

Aug 13 2006 Anchor

TKAzA wrote: besides the fact prey is new and bargan bin already along with many other new games.

Yer ignorant. Most games that we have go on one of those sales that puts it down to $40. We've done it for Oblivion, Age of Empires III, Call of Duty 2, etc. etc. etc.

It's definitely not bargain bin, as you put it. There's just a $10 coupon off the game, which a lot of Gamepro magazines carry around for any game (as well as Best Buy Coupon Books). We had a coupon for $10 off any Xbox 360 game during the holiday season.

And yes, I can find Half-Life 1 and its expansions for $5 at Kmart, Half-Life 2 for $35, and FEAR for $40. Just because a game is on sale doesn't mean it isn't selling well. It just means that, perhaps, that Best Buy is overstocked and wants to sell them quickly to get more product in. Anything could be the case.

Prey happens to be one of the reasons that drove game sales to jump 22% in July. It was 4th overall in revenue, selling 132,000 copies on the 360 alone, and 14th in top sales (not that hard to swallow, since the DS and its games have been selling like hotcakes everywhere since early June). Check it out if you don't believe me. It's definitely a respectable number.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Aug 13 2006 Anchor

sorry its my opinion and games with gimmicks are making up for what they lack
I am yet to play prey and im not going to buy it cos all ive read and heard is bad things...
a good game to me is a simple core game with a good story and decent game play

wall walking ,portals and spirit death are all gimmicks to sell the game and really have little to do with the story

edit: I don't mean to sound ignorant but we all have our own likes and dislikes of mods and games...
you cant call that being ignorant is just personal preference

Edited by: TKAzA

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

So you ... haven't actually played Prey, yet you're so sure it's terrible?

Is this Cheapy on Aza's account?

--

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Blck i fail to see where i stated it was terrible.

edit: ippo game sales means shit all
doom 3 sold like hotcakes cos no one belived the crap reveiws it was linear and not what ID sold it to be.
quake 4 was little better and yes i purchased the games from the store the day they where released... i have done this many times.
now they sit gatheing dust on my wall of shame.

basicaly ppl can pimp the crap outa somthing but no game is perfect and i fail to see how prey is so amazing
it looks like doom 3 it looks to play like it, just with a few diffrences not worth $98 dollars ( still that much here in perth at harvey normans)

Malarkie
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

It is the rocky horror picture show of video games, not that great a product, but you find yourself unable to stop marveling at the weirdness.

--

JoeX111
JoeX111 Tilting at windmills
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

I can stop marveling at Rocky Horror pretty quick. It just takes a quick press of the "Off" button and Presto---No more crap.

Malarkie
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

I guess I am one just one of the weird ones... and I like that rock and roll song.

--

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

It's like a train wreck. You know it's wrong to stare, but you just..can't..look..away.. XD

--

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

TKAzA wrote: Blck i fail to see where i stated it was terrible.

edit: ippo game sales means shit all
doom 3 sold like hotcakes cos no one belived the crap reveiws it was linear and not what ID sold it to be.
quake 4 was little better and yes i purchased the games from the store the day they where released... i have done this many times.
now they sit gatheing dust on my wall of shame.

basicaly ppl can pimp the crap outa somthing but no game is perfect and i fail to see how prey is so amazing
it looks like doom 3 it looks to play like it, just with a few diffrences not worth $98 dollars ( still that much here in perth at harvey normans)

When did I say it was a great game? All I said was that it sold well, so there's no reason to believe it's bargain bin. :P

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

sold well cos of hype not game play or good reviews like other games
as i said doom3 and quake 4 also provide a good example of over hyped messups

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

I got my Limited Collectors Edition for $29.99 CAD, brand new factory sealed. You just have to know who to deal with :P

--

modDBOld-Oldtimer

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

fell of the back of a truck hey jenny?
edit: somthing illigit eh?

Malarkie
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Do you get a discount due to working at the store you bought it at?
BFF with the cashier?
How?

--

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.