Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
New Console System (Forums : Recruiting & Resumes : New Console System) Locked
Thread Options
Dec 17 2013, 1:09pm Anchor

Seeking team members to create a brand new console system for dual output gaming.
Planning on starting in a 16bit graphics. The console will have two output cords to hook into separate tv's.
This allows players to have one full screen to use instead of split screen. It also stops people from seeing where you are in games and cheating.

The prototype will only have two controllers so a maximum of two players.

If interested we are seeking the following:

Artists
Sound Effects Artist
Music Artist
Programmers
Hardware/Electronics
and more.

Post on here to be considered. This will be an indie project and funding of $150,000 will be achieved on Kickstarter.

My History: I have been a gamer for 27 years and also have been doing renders, modeling, animation and such for 8+ years.

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Dec 17 2013, 1:21pm Anchor

Couldnt 2 usb android consoles do this with wifi networking?
You also need 2 tvs, whilst not rare, really narrows your market scope.

Is 150k funding going to be enough? what's the guarantee people will buy into this idea?

Dec 17 2013, 2:57pm Anchor

TKAzA,

Not that many people have androids and also being a small device would really take away the fun from console gaming.
Controllers are needed for console gaming.

People would buy a second TV to use, such as hardcore gamers and those well off. The system can also be bundled with two smaller flat screen TV's which are around $99 each or cheaper wholesale.

150k would cover the first prototype and game.

Dec 17 2013, 3:31pm Anchor

So, are you going to just make a computer with two graphic cards in it and make a small program that separates the screen outputs for players or are you actually going to go so far as to make a small device with it's own operating system and what not? If the latter, I'm quite curious how you will go forward.

Dec 17 2013, 3:53pm Anchor

It will be exactly like SNES, N64, PS3, etc. A full console. Except in the quality of a 16 bit SNES.
The software will be splitting out two outputs, one for player one and one for player two.
Having it low quality graphics, it wouldn't have any need for high end graphic cards.

Also a special TV can be manufactured as a double sided TV easily.

Dec 17 2013, 5:31pm Anchor

Hello!

I'm Rafael Krux, a music composer and I'm interested in your idea!
Here are my compositions:
Soundcloud.com

if you like them,please contact me on rafaelkrux@rafaelkrux.com
:)

Dec 17 2013, 5:41pm Anchor

Rafael,

That is some great music, I like the top one the best. I'll keep your contact information for later on when this project gets further along.

Dec 17 2013, 5:45pm Anchor

Thank you very much!
Looking forward to cooperate with you! :)

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 18 2013, 8:02am Anchor

Your concept is flawed. No one will have two televisions in close enough proximity to use the device - and if they did, they would be even less likely to have space where they can put them at an angle where a) both screens are not visible to any one player, b) where both players can sit comfortably and c) where the console cable can reach both televisions.

If the televisions are side by side, you've solved nothing that split screen doesn't already do.

No one will buy a special double-sided television set and no one will want to plonk one in the middle of a room to make it usable. No one will buy a second TV or double-sided television for the purposes of playing 80s quality, 16-bit games.

I also doubt anyone will actually want to develop games for such a system.

Frankly your idea is just plain silly.

Edited by: ambershee

Dec 18 2013, 8:13am Anchor

Amber,

By saying "Nobody will buy" you are wrong. Millions of people purchased Pet Rocks in the 70's and 80's then though that was incredibly stupid.
Many times when a new product comes out, it becomes one of the hottest items on the market regardless if people first thought it was stupid.

You say "No one will have two TV's close enough". I wasn't aware you've seen every household in the nation. Also I didn't know TV's couldn't be moved.

Your negative thinking is because this is a brand new concept, while it may sound silly or weird at first. The prototype would ultimately prove if it's worth it or not.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 18 2013, 8:20am Anchor

I think you're delusional, but yes, a prototype and kickstarter campaign will help determine whether the concept has any real merit ;)

For the record, I'm all for new ideas, but they really do have to be practical - I don't see people completely rearranging their living spaces to accommodate this kind of device.

Edited by: ambershee

Dec 18 2013, 9:19am Anchor

Are you going to use existing hardware? By that I mean components that are allready on the market.

Will you use a graphics card with two outputs? Or will you need two graphics cards? Perhaps you're considering using one graphics card with one output? How powerfull will it/they be? What kind of processor, and what brand? Does the motherboard work with what you plan? Will you need a motherboard? Then RAM, how much and what type? Will there be a hard drive? SSD perhaps? Or just the standard? DVD reader? Or just an USB port from where you load the games? Operative System, make your own from scratch? Start from Linux? How will you change Linux if you choose it? Controllers, will you make your own? Or use existing ones? Wireless or cord?

Dec 18 2013, 9:41am Anchor

Lots of questions. No existing hardware on the market, it would be custom built except maybe for some circuit boards or graphics card. But the rest new.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 18 2013, 11:31am Anchor

Any reason to attempt to build complete new hardware from scratch? Existing mass produced mobile hardware could build you a device like the one you're describing at a fraction of the cost of rolling your own and would likely also be superior.

Dec 18 2013, 12:10pm Anchor

But it isn't mobile.

Actually I decided to make a turn on it and came up with a more practical system. Still using the old outdated 1 television method, but brand new concept.

Dec 18 2013, 12:53pm Anchor

Maybe the dual output could just be a feature... if this could be a decent console on it's own, the addition of one console, two monitor multi-player would be a unique selling point, definitely. I would definitely be behind this as much as possible- I'd lend my skills as an artist and sound designer (my programming knowledge is adequate if needed) and my company would develop games on the platform so it would have a developer base.
The system could run on Android because it is easier for developers to work with, although you could start with Linux since Android is Linux based anyway.
I think, marketing this as a retro experience would work rather well... It could have potential as a commercial console for nostalgia seekers.

Dec 18 2013, 1:59pm Anchor
myfayt wrote:Lots of questions. No existing hardware on the market, it would be custom built except maybe for some circuit boards or graphics card. But the rest new.

Nonono, that's a fraction of questions compared to what you are going to face if you proceed with this. Especially if you're going to custom build even just a few of the circuit boards. You're looking at years of development just for the console alone. Especially if you're doing it indie style. You're looking at months of development and testing with even a group of hardware experiences people, and that alone will cost a lot more than 150k.

A thing you may as well forget is making the game now. If you're going to custom build the whole console you need to build up the operative system from scratch as well, and if you have no platform to build your operative system on, you can't build a game on it.

myfayt wrote:But it isn't mobile.

His point was that mobile phone technology, which will be more powerful than anything you can come up with, would be a lot easier to use to make a stationary gaming console, and cheaper than developing your own technology.

myfayt wrote:Actually I decided to make a turn on it and came up with a more practical system. Still using the old outdated 1 television method, but brand new concept.

Even if you say you're going to use 1 television, I'm going to go right ahead here and tell you that people allready are using several TVs. It's just that consoles today has gotten to the point where they can be used in networks, and over the internet. Not even PCs that support more than one screen and would have power enough to run several games at one time have that kind of multiplayer support, on one PC. Because it's not sought after.

An even better idea would be to utilise 3D technology to only show certain frames for a player, while the others can't see it. Make it fast enough and none of them will notice that there are several people playing on the same screen, fullscreen. Only downside is that everyone need to wear glasses.

nexust wrote:Maybe the dual output could just be a feature... if this could be a decent console on it's own, the addition of one console, two monitor multi-player would be a unique selling point, definitely. I would definitely be behind this as much as possible- I'd lend my skills as an artist and sound designer (my programming knowledge is adequate if needed) and my company would develop games on the platform so it would have a developer base.
The system could run on Android because it is easier for developers to work with, although you could start with Linux since Android is Linux based anyway.
I think, marketing this as a retro experience would work rather well... It could have potential as a commercial console for nostalgia seekers.

The dual output would only be usable on get togethers as TV's mostly are put against walls because of the cords. Then again that's not the only reason. TV's also get TV shelves which are also built to stand against walls, then there's also the question of the room itself. Look at your own room and then put a TV in the center of it. You remove a lot of space just by that action.

While the two monitor mode certainly would be unique, I doubt it'd sell because that's nothing two consoles over a network can't do better.

However, get it to work on a Tablet and you may make it more appealing seeing as you don't need to have a TV available. Connect two tablets and you have two smaller screens that doesn't require a lot of room, as opposed to TVs.

However, I really doubt you'll get far by custom making the hardware yourself. It'll be far to expensive, time consuming and far far from cost effective.

Dec 18 2013, 2:13pm Anchor

While your points are valid. I want to make sure you understand that the console won't be cutting edge technology, but a retro system in 16bit.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 19 2013, 5:17am Anchor

I don't get the obsession with 16bit. It will not be cheaper to build 16bit hardware than to use existing 32bit hardware. Look at Raspberry Pi - it is more than capable of handling 16 bit style games and still makes a profit per unit retailing at less than $20.

Dec 19 2013, 6:16am Anchor

Hello.
I'd love to work with you on this!

My name is Scott Graves, Im a 25 year old composer and sound designer with a BA (hons) in audio and music production.
My portfolio, as well as more information about me, can be found at Iamscottgraves.com

Good luck with the project!

- Scott

Dec 19 2013, 9:56am Anchor
myfayt wrote:While your points are valid. I want to make sure you understand that the console won't be cutting edge technology, but a retro system in 16bit.

I don't see how that's relevant to the time requirement to developing new tech for all components needed for a whole console.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.