Forum Thread
by member
Modern Warfare 2 NO MOD or DEDICATED SERVER SUPPORT! (Forums : PC Gaming : Modern Warfare 2 NO MOD or DEDICATED SERVER SUPPORT!) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
Oct 20 2009, 9:23am Anchor

Borderlands looks awesome. I'm not worried about the PC game market dieing off, because like stated above by mr cyberpunk, games are made on PCs!

Edited by: NGS616

Oct 20 2009, 12:50pm Anchor

Does is some bad mess and everyone needs to sign the petition over on IW.com

Edited by: samwhinchester

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Oct 20 2009, 2:18pm Anchor

hey guys updated my frontpage post with some new info, let the face palming begin Moddb.com

--

Oct 20 2009, 6:50pm Anchor

Thanks henley I was just about to update you on that..

THIS is what people consider a AAA professional game developer ?

to hell with that.. these guys are full of crap and smug and stuff :D

Let the palmage commence

WACK

WACK

WACK

WACK

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Oct 20 2009, 7:30pm Anchor

Yeah, their responses made me laugh. Congratulations preventing bifurcation of your community, by losing a fifth of your potential PC sales to boycotting. First Steam requirements, then the ego-inflated price point, and then the lack of dedicated server support, and subsequently, lack of mod support.

That's a whole load of pissing people off; it's almost like it's deliberate.

Oct 20 2009, 8:09pm Anchor

The guy posted a response in his Twitter, but basically all it was stated "The benefits of dedicated servers are in IWNET" and then failed to tell us, instead read a PR infested NDA enforced feature list that told us no reason why this system was used, and in fact stated that gamers didn't need it before.. essentially giving us even more reason to boycott it.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Oct 20 2009, 8:18pm Anchor
Quote:THIS is what people consider a AAA professional game developer ?

I think the game will still set records. PC gamers will be pissed for sure, but many of us will still buy it (not to mention the console crowd; sad that I know more people who play CoD4 on 360 than on pc but thats the way things are going). Its a stupid choice from my perspective (I loved dedicated servers) and they may lose some sales, but at the end of the day they're going to make money and have more control over how we play their game.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Oct 21 2009, 2:39pm Anchor

User Posted Image

Handgun_Hero
Handgun_Hero Vietnam | Glory Obscured Beta Tester
Oct 23 2009, 11:12pm Anchor

Fuck you Infinity Ward. Cancelled my order now. If this has become of COD6, then I wonder what will happen to the expected Cold War theories of COD7? I honestly don't know what IW is thinking driving away their PC fans, it's like it's deliberate or personal. It surely can't be monetary because they are sacrificing their potential sales this way. I think this is bullshit.

--

Can you tell me doctor why I still can't get to sleep?
The night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M16.
What's this rash that comes and goes can you tell me what it means?
God help me, I was only 19.

Spector
Spector WWIII
Oct 24 2009, 12:50am Anchor

While the game itself has sold 13 million copies, it would seem most of the player base is clearly on the 360 and PS3 consoles. It is clear that PC gaming is really starting to become an niche thing. It is simply easier to pick up a controller and play on a console (and more reliable in my opinion), than to fiddle with a pc. Also to note, that most support of Call of Duty (tournaments, leagues, general playing) comes from the consoles. Is this solely a reason to remove dedicated support from the game, not necessarily. However money talks, and right now the companies are playing up their biggest sellers (the console market).

G4tv.com

Someone wrote:While accepting one of the awards, Robert Bowling said:
"I'm delighted that we just reached 11 million unique players on Xbox Live and we've got over 4 million on PSN."
With Microsoft at 17 million Xbox Live accounts, this means that about 64% of gamers with Live accounts have played Call of Duty 4
while connected to the Internet. The numbers also show the discrepancy
between sales across the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. That is not an
attempt to start a flame war... it's an observation based upon
Bowling's statement. It doesn't come as a surprise as multiplatform
games tend to sell better on the Xbox 360.

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Oct 24 2009, 1:27am Anchor

For those who have no idea what the issue is here please watch this video.

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Oct 25 2009, 6:37am Anchor

i don't like how he thinks the console gamers are idiots :p
i'm part console gamer to now (reason: system requirements :p) and i know what a dedicated server is :/
allso, when i made a public listen servers of CS to play with a friend, it filled up to the maximum, no lag, so home internet connections are not allways too weak to host a server

the rest is mainly true tho
i would say, infinity ward is gonna use this system to be cheap, so they don't have to set up official dedicated servers :/

--

°w°

Oct 25 2009, 9:22pm Anchor
Someone wrote:i'm part console gamer to now (reason: system requirements :p) and i know what a dedicated server is :/

you might (mainly cause you're a hybrid) but majority of purist console gamers have no idea what goes into running the systems and what goes into the technology that enables them to play their games. Consoles are for people that want to play games, PCs are for people that want to develop games, understand games and create them. The problem with the majority of console gamers on the IW forums is that none of them understand that, they just think PC is an overpriced console and that we should quit bitching because all the other platforms suffer the same problems, and refer to us has having preferential treatment.. when that's completely bullshit evident by how fanboish IW has been towards the Xbox360 in recent years- IWNET was designed only for Consoles, the PC just got chained to it because the majority don't understand how the technology works- this is why they were able to justify "Accessibility" and hence why our Ded servers have been removed.

shadowofamn
shadowofamn 3D Artist
Oct 27 2009, 10:18am Anchor
Spector wrote:While the game itself has sold 13 million copies, it would seem most of the player base is clearly on the 360 and PS3 consoles. It is clear that PC gaming is really starting to become an niche thing. It is simply easier to pick up a controller and play on a console (and more reliable in my opinion), than to fiddle with a pc. Also to note, that most support of Call of Duty (tournaments, leagues, general playing) comes from the consoles. Is this solely a reason to remove dedicated support from the game, not necessarily. However money talks, and right now the companies are playing up their biggest sellers (the console market).

According to Cod4 sales there were 1 million copy sold for PC in the 13 millions, you can correct about the majority of the market being on the consoles. But again, don't forget money is money, 1 million copy * 60 dollars is 60 million big bucks. In a downtime of economy, you would every dollars in your profit and by far there would be more than 1 million copy sold for cod6 because of the hype. But Now you are saying they are giving up the 60 mil. Stupid move. The petition up online is at 130k last time i checked. If even half that people actually stick to their word, that 60k * 60 dollars which is 3.6m millions gone. Not to speak that is only the one that sign it in North American.

Dedicated server was already in the system, why remove it and implement a new system? Cost your more money and make us unhappy. Why? Money Talks! And where is that money comes from? The gamers! Not that hard of a logic to figure unless IWNET is worth the lost of millions of dollars from PC sales. We share see.

--

===================Signature======================
Demo Reel 2011 - www.wingkityu.com
Modeling - Maya, Softimage XSI, Zbrush, Mudbox
Mapping - Unity, UDK, Source Hammer
Texturing - Photoshop, XNormal, Crazybump
Comp/Edit - After Effects, Premiere

Arxae
Oct 29 2009, 1:21pm Anchor
Quote:1 million copy * 60 dollars is 60 million big bucks

not everything goes to the developers, the majority of those funds go to the publishers (activision in this case) so its not totaly sure they got 60mil

Quote:you might (mainly cause you're a hybrid) but majority of purist console gamers have no idea what goes into running the systems and what goes into the technology that enables them to play their games.

yay i'm a hybrid xP
anyway, now your generalizing a bit :) i started out on pc for gaming, but i don't have the money to keep up with the system requirements, so i got a 360 since most games are multi platform anyway.
but i mean, the majority of the console gamers are indeed casual gamers, people who play just because its a "cool" thing to do so or girls ("look boys, i play games, wanna screw me up the ass now?" >_>)
but you have to think, there ARE people that know stuff about computers to :) even the most dedicated console gamers can still be tech savy on a pc :)

--

°w°

Oct 30 2009, 9:26am Anchor
Sigma wrote:girls ("look boys, i play games, wanna screw me up the ass now?" >_>)

Where the hell can i find these girls at?

moci
moci Is it me or does it smell funny here?
Oct 30 2009, 9:58am Anchor
ngs616 wrote:
Sigma wrote:girls ("look boys, i play games, wanna screw me up the ass now?" >_>)

2nd!

--

- Mathiasverboven.net

Quote:If I learned anything about Valve over the years, its that they can't count to 3 ~xHotPotatox @ joystiq
Quote:If people are making shit, they're making shit not because of the engine, but because their own abilities as a game developer suck.
They'd make similar shit on UDK, Source and CryEngine if they could. ~Mr_Cyberpunk
Oct 30 2009, 6:49pm Anchor
ngs616 wrote:

Abc.net.au

New host named Hex, only added because of tits.
Junglist was a real gamer, they had no right to boot him.

Arxae
Oct 30 2009, 7:54pm Anchor
ngs616 wrote:

you don't want them :p they just play games to attract guys, got them allover the place here :/

--

°w°

Oct 31 2009, 11:07am Anchor

I'll see ya soon!

KOM
KOM
Oct 31 2009, 12:15pm Anchor
ambershee wrote:Yeah, their responses made me laugh. Congratulations preventing bifurcation of your community, by losing a fifth of your potential PC sales to boycotting. First Steam requirements, then the ego-inflated price point, and then the lack of dedicated server support, and subsequently, lack of mod support.

That's a whole load of pissing people off; it's almost like it's deliberate.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I will not be buying this game and have canceled my pre order.

Edited by: KOM

Nov 3 2009, 12:50pm Anchor

i like the fact that a few days after the news about IW trechery (may they burn in hell for it) Dice announced that Bad company2 will hace Ded servers:) go Dice! (sorry for my english i am from Sweden)

Ark_
Ark_ Needs to finish something.
Nov 3 2009, 1:44pm Anchor

Yea you got to love Dice. I am actually looking forward to bad Company 2 more then COD MW 2.

Nov 3 2009, 3:49pm Anchor

Here's a thought:
Why not make IW waste money by forcing them to produce the PC version? Don't cancel your preorder but make more preorders at places that will refund your money (e.g. Gamestop) then cancel your preorder once the game arrives. Force IW to make the PC version of MW2 and then boycott it. If we all cancel before it's released they just won't produce it and focus on the console side.

Spector
Spector WWIII
Nov 3 2009, 3:56pm Anchor
DragonSypher wrote:Here's a thought:
Why not make IW waste money by forcing them to produce the PC version? Don't cancel your preorder but make more preorders at places that will refund your money (e.g. Gamestop) then cancel your preorder once the game arrives. Force IW to make the PC version of MW2 and then boycott it. If we all cancel before it's released they just won't produce it and focus on the console side.

This game comes out in a week, they have most definitely printed hundreds of thousands of copies for PC already.

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.