Forum Thread
mod fallout 3 on 360? (Forums : Console Gaming : mod fallout 3 on 360?) Locked
Thread Options
Jul 25 2010 Anchor

Hello, I never modded before and i want to know how can I mod fallout 3 on my 360 (if I need to download something please post the link).
I also want to know if I can use my USB card to transfer the mods on my xbox.

Jul 25 2010 Anchor

Short answer, nope.
Longer answer, nope. The 360 without heavy; and borderline illegal modifications, won't run whats called "unsigned" code. Ergo; any content not authorized by Micro$hit, won't run on any 360. Well, unless you happen to be one of the few lucky ones who managed to get your hands on a Dev. console, and I'm not even sure how they do that.

However, assuming by some magical ability you got a JTag-ble console, hack it properly, and get everything running smoothly, the answer would *still* be no. There'd be no way to 'port' over the mod to run on the 360, even if you unpacked the .ISO into the .god/etc files, you couldn't tell the game to use the mods files. (And if you could, you'd've had to have hacked the game itself, as well as the console, and in -that- case I'm sure its illegal, and will be accepted by the 360 Community on the same level as the 12-15 year olds who hack/glitch on halo, or troll xbox-scene asking how to.)

Edit~ God I make terrible spelling errors sometimes XD

Edited by: Kalenov

Jul 26 2010 Anchor

Pretty much what Kalenov said. You'd be better off not bothering and just stick with the PC version.

Ronnie42
Ronnie42 God Of Destruction
Jul 26 2010 Anchor

i wouldnt recommend mods either but like kalenov said you would need to get a dev kit from microsoft which may be unlikely since you would need to give them a good enough reason to give you one

so until you get a dev kit you could try practise making mods via UDK, many other programs, test out the game using the wird 360 controller till a 360 dev kit can be aquired since thats the only legal way that you can make anything

but a warning any mods of current games is illegal but creating your own content as a standalone game would be more suited
since modifications of a game like halo/l4d, etc... is illegal can lead to a ban

--

Doom compile project: link (Taking a break), original game's design project: link (Back to working on it)

Jul 26 2010 Anchor

Actually Ronnie to the best of my information M$ doesn't "give out" devkits, they are typically for home-based CSRs/testers/developers, and get sold off during inventory wipes; and magically end up finding their way to the community. Even then I'm not sure how legal it'd be, as well as the fact a Dev.Kit can't sign code, or trust me, the JTag hack wouldn't even be needed, someone would've exploited the kernal ages back.

So even if, as I pointed out, you did get a Dev.Kit, there's no real way to run mods, and/or make your own, even as you said "using the UDK" doesn't help you, as to the best of my knowledge there will never be any UDK support on the 360 for non-commercially license produced material. (And even then, like XNA users, you have an ungodly waiting period between your release, and it actually getting onto the 360 due to -other- licensing and security reasons.)

Boiled down; the 'mod' community is basically limited to Home-Brews on clearly (and legally) hacked consoles/handhelds, (even then, I think moddb with the possible exception of the PSP, doesn't exactly support the Homebrew Scene on hacked-systems) and the PC Market. Kinda sucks, I know, but its the cards we've been dealt =\

On a different note, I think the closest we've come to generally 'opening' the 360 up like its older, and much wiser brother, the classic xbox, is a USB HDD/Flash Drive hack, but last I checked it wasn't exactly working as we all wished it to. Basically it'd let you install games onto a USB HDD; although this was -way- back before the Dashboard updates, and is probably long-since been fixed :P

Edited by: Kalenov

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.