Jun 28 2012, 3:11am
I have always been thinking of starting development of a multiplayer Half-Life 2(or even CS:S) mod based off of Metal Gear Solid's stealth and tactical gameplay elements(sneaking, incapacitation, stealth etc.). The mod would basically revolve around players being highly trained operatives who compete in a series of different gamemodes against other players in servers.
Most of the ideas for this mod would be taken from the actual video game Metal Gear Online. The mod would include players having firearms(silenced pistols, assault rifles, shotguns), gadgets and gizmos(, and the most basic yet very lethal stun knife or fighting-utility knife. The mod would also revolve around the idea of a stamina/psych system.
- The stamina/psych system is a system to be used alongside a health system that affects the psychological and emotional well-being and focus of a soldier. The psych would be mainly affected by injury(gunfire, being hit with a melee weapon) but can also be reduced completely by less-than-lethal weapons(stun knife, stun grenades, tranquilizer pistol, anesthetic pistol rounds). If your psych is depleted(depending on the gamemode), you can either be incapacitated for a short period(which can enable you to be revived by a teammate) or you instantly die. The lower your psych goes, the harder it will be for an operative to perform actions(eg. vision blindness, shaking, inaccurate fire, desaturation of vision, reloading weapons).
In addition to this psych system, players of the same team would share info through the SOP, or Surveillance-Oriented Peripheral system.
- The SOP, or Surveillance-Oriented Peripheral, system is the way operatives in a match can gather info about each other. Through the SOP system, players can monitor their allies battle capacity(100%-0% health | healthy / injured, incapacitated / dead, alerted / panicked), as well as their enemies battle capacity(name | healthy / injured / near death).
And last but not least, the SOP Armory system:
- The SOP Armory system is based off of the ranking of individual operatives through the server. The higher the ranking, the more weapons/perks/equipment is available to an individual operative.
The SOP Armory system would consist of players being granted four slots(five weapons/equipment in total) per gamemode:
- Primary Weapon [Shotgun of choice, Assault Rifle of choice, Tranquilizer gun]
- Secondary Weapon [Silenced/Unsilenced Pistol of choice, extra ammunition/equipment]
- Equipment [Stun grenades, radios, surveillance etc.]
- Equipment / Melee Weapons [Fighting-utility knives(more effective at killing than stun knives)]
- Stun knife [Every operative always has one]
Rules of play(gamemodes) can range from the following.
- Deathmatch pits operatives against each other, competing for the highest score until the ever decreasing kill counter or time reaches zero. The operative with the highest score is visible to others through SOP.
- Stealth Deathmatch also pits players against each other, geared with stealth camo. A three level SOP alarm informs players of enemy proximity. Eventually, the game area begins to constrict, leaving all outside it to suffer damage. There is no respawning, so the battle continues until one player is left alive, or until time runs out.
- Team Deathmatch groups players into two teams, with each death decreasing the team's remaining tickets. The team to first deplete the other's tickets, or with more tickets when time runs out, is the winner.
- Team Sneaking demands from the attacking team, equipped with stealth camo, to bring either SUB(data intelligence packet #1) or PAR(data intelligence packet #2) to their goal area, while the other team defends the items. Another win condition is to kill or stun all enemy team members. Whenever a stealth soldier is discovered, all stealth camo is temporarily rendered non operational.
- Sneaking Mission features two opposing teams & one operative selected to be Snake(highly-trained special operations soldier, protagonist of the Metal Gear games). Snake wins by collecting, through incapacitating enemy soldiers, three dogtags, with each life lost resetting the count to zero. Teams claim victory by killing Snake a set amount of times, or by having scored more opposing team kills when time runs out.
In conclusion, a multiplayer Half-Life 2/CS:S mod/indie game based off of Metal Gear Solid's stealth/tactical gameplay. Includes the stamina/psych system, SOP system, SOP Armory(loadout) system, and a whole array of less-than-lethal equipment and weapons, as well as firearms.
If ANYONE would be interested in making a mod, or even independent game, with this type of playstyle, please reply to this thread or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org