Forum Thread
by member
Mass Effect 3 endings discussion (spoilers! If you couldn't figure that out!) (Forums : Cosmos : Mass Effect 3 endings discussion (spoilers! If you couldn't figure that out!)) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3
Reqieumthefallen
Reqieumthefallen Whreck-wee-um!. Remember that.
Mar 11 2012, 6:44pm Anchor

My first response was "WTF", followed by "That's it?!", and then "How the hell do the intend to make an MMO when they do -that- to the universe". The answer -- by making your choices not matter at all. That's the only way it can work, otherwise they've screwed themselves.

That or they have something to do with the Synthesizer ending...

I do kind of like this one person's proposed alternative, in which none of the "breaking-everything-in-the-fiction" crap happens: Youtube.com

It also seems interesting that the lead writer of Bioware leaves right as this game is heading out. Makes me wonder a little...

How about anyone else? I'm very open to hearing someone give a logical reason for any of the endings, or why it was a multiple choice question at the end, or ya know... everything that everyone is complaining about.

--

You know who's not got Facebook or Twitter? This guy.

Rank 119 -- only 118 more to go to reach the end bossfight...

Disclaimer -- the following below is NOT sarcasm:

Play Spec Ops: The Line. No, seriously, play it. NOW! It's probably still on sale on Amazon for crying out loud! I wish more games had balls like this game does, paired with some of the best writing, mechanics, and level design that's been seen this side of linear shooters.

501stcaptainrex
501stcaptainrex FOC expert mapper and ultraconservative freak
Mar 14 2012, 8:48pm Anchor

Moddb.com   you're welcome.

--

Life is like a video game; there's players and npcs.

Ambient_Malice
Ambient_Malice Ultraconservative Hippie Freak
Mar 14 2012, 8:50pm Anchor

Actually, I can't help but wonder whether there have been internal tensions at Bioware we aren't fully aware of.

For example, and I hate to bring this up because people sometimes start screaming at me, Casey Hudson's explaination for 'teh gayness' [sic] in Mass Effect 3 was... odd.

Because only a few years earlier, he'd half-explained why there wasn't any gayness in Mass Effect 2. Something to do with wanting a PG-13 like action movie... or something.

Kotaku.com

Which gets me suspicious that perhaps there has been perhaps some conflict between Hudson and his writers. The way Mass Effect 3 is caving into cheap fanboism, whereas prior installments were focused on 'what works' and 'what Casey wants'. Or in the case of Mass Effect 3's ending(s), we have clear incompetence from the writers... what Steven King would call, simply, 'bad writing'.

It goes deeper: something as silly as 'do guns use ammo' has been completely contradicted in Mass Effect 3. I believe that the various problems upsetting fans are actually a symptom of something deeper at fault within Bioware.

I'm deeply suspicious that all is not well within the Bioware machine. I wouldn't be surprised if more senior members start leaving.

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 15 2012, 11:38am Anchor

On the matter of Kotaku -- is it just me or is one of their employees related to a guy on the Bioware team that made Mass Effect 3, because they've been making it seem as if they somehow have to be the paragon of Bioware and fight away people complaining about the ending. I find this heavily hypocritical also, when you consider the fact they refused to shut down during the SOPA/PIPA black out because they didn't want to be "biased". They keep missing the point, just like most people who seem to argue in favor of the Mass Effect 3 ending. It's not that it is depressing, but that the last 15 minutes destroy the entire purpose of the series as a whole, rounding it down to a statistic and a three prong multiple choice question.

--

Play Spec Ops: The Line. No, seriously, play it. NOW! It's probably still on sale on Amazon for crying out loud! I wish more games had balls like this game does, paired with some of the best writing, mechanics, and level design that's been seen this side of linear shooters.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Mar 16 2012, 8:11am Anchor

I finished the game last night - and the ending was absolutely terrible. It was in fact actually offensive for the following reasons:
1) All of your choices in all three games culminate in this final scenario - and you're given the choice of all three options regardless of whatever you did (unless you do not have enough 'Military Strength' at the end, then you have two options.
2) This doesn't matter because all three options are actually all exactly the same, just a different colour. I'm not actually kidding.
3) There is no resolution to the actual story; all the people, races, struggles you've been working to resolve for three games are thrown away and you never know what actually happens as the result of your actions.
4) What limited resolution you do get, doesn't actually make any sense anyway; characters are all conveniently and magically in places you didn't leave them for no discernable reason whatsoever.

I came away feeling really sour; an investment of over 100 hours into getting to this engame, and everything you've actually done amounts to zero once you get to the end.

Edited by: ambershee

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 16 2012, 4:20pm Anchor

That's about it. Apparently Bioware intends to try and "address" the fans sometime in the near future. I hope they brought enough ice for the flames because only like 5% of the fans aren't complaining/raging/just stunned at the ending.

--

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 16 2012, 4:41pm Anchor

I haven't played ME3, but I've seen enough bitching about it that I'd be more willing to side with Penny Arcade's take on the whole thing.

Mar 16 2012, 5:19pm Anchor

I should have let the Reapers destroy everything :/

Maybe we should end the cycle and make Bioware "Ascend" >:D

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 16 2012, 5:25pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:I haven't played ME3, but I've seen enough bitching about it that I'd be more willing to side with Penny Arcade's take on the whole thing.

I haven't heard their side of it, but I really have got to clarify this: I don't care if the ending is depressing, if the ending leaves a bitter-sweet taste in your mouth. The problem is that Bioware completely disregarded the key thing that makes Mass Effect matter -- crossing over choices from game to game to game all leading to an epic conclusion that is completely your own and no one else can easily have. Instead, they give us a multiple choice question. Creativity freedom or not, that is a bullshit answer to five years worth of gaming. It's cheap, quick, and makes the player feel like everything they did was pointless, because in the end, they just have screwed everything up. For me, no DLC can fix that.

Edit: Also, on the whole "we wanted a polarizing ending" bit. Killzone 3 did this as well, but they actually made it work for them. They worked within the context of the narrative, and in the end you realize that you actually accidentally may have just committed genocide on the entire planet of Helghan. But the weaponized energy that causes this is present in the narrative, the reason the characters end up resorting to the measure they do is because of their situation (which is a direct follow up to the events of Killzone 2), and it provides a good resolution enough, even packing a hint for the next Killzone game hidden towards the end.

Mass Effect 3 doesn't have that, it pulls out a loose attempt at changing gears in the last fifteen minutes, even when you take the Indoctrination theory into account. It just isn't what they should have done. It's better to admit a mistake than deny it.

Edited by: Reqieumthefallen

--

ambershee
Mar 16 2012, 5:32pm Anchor

To clarify - they gave you a multiple choice question to which there is no wrong answer; the result is exactly the same regardless of which you choose. The cut scenes are more or less identical in all cases except for particle systems that are different colours - that's the absolute kicker. You never find out what the results of your choices even mean, so pretty much all of them across three games are ultimately completely meaningless.

Here are the endings, side by side. It's a real pisstake - if you don't want to spoiler it for yourself, you'll be fine watching the first ~30 seconds or so.
Youtube.com

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 16 2012, 6:45pm Anchor

That video really sells it... and makes it even more depressing. Even KotOR 2, which essentially had two endings, had more differentiation than this...

--

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 16 2012, 9:35pm Anchor
Quote:t's cheap, quick, and makes the player feel like everything they did was pointless, because in the end, they just have screwed everything up 

I've seen the endings, but I still don't get all the bickering (aside from the fact that it was doomed to be hated by a certain crowd because it's EA and there's DLC-entitlement). If you're trying to sum up your own 5 year experience with an RPG as if only the last 4 minutes of several combined hours matter and nothing else, then that's your own fault. The entire thing is a journey, and ME3 is the ending (the entirety of it, not simple the last scene). The choices you make create a different journey throughout, and experiences can greatly differ as a result.  

Yes the choices might all ultimately collimate towards a focused closure - that's to be expected for the continuation of a franchise (ME3 might be the end of a trilogy, but I highly doubt we've seen the last of it).  Does that somehow invalidate the journey? Take 20 people, pick a random city, and have them make their way there however they want. Some could fly, drive, take a train, hitchhike with complete strangers, go with friends, and detour where ever they want along the way. Am I supposed to believe their journeys were all the same and their choices didn't matter, simply because they ultimately arrived at the same destination? Even if lives were lost or fortunes made along the way, due to the choices that each person made? I mean really, if you want to talk about screwed  up endings: ultimately we're all going to share the same fate. And depending on who you ask, we might not get to observe how things play out either.

Lastly, what's supposed to happen when a series has multiple endings, especially ones that are a major event to the lore of the franchise? Something is going to be chosen as official canon, so your choices are going to have the same value one way or another if you're that concerned with how ME ends up years from now.

Mar 17 2012, 6:28am Anchor
ambershee wrote:To clarify - they gave you a multiple choice question to which there is no wrong answer; the result is exactly the same regardless of which you choose. The cut scenes are more or less identical in all cases except for particle systems that are different colours - that's the absolute kicker. You never find out what the results of your choices even mean, so pretty much all of them across three games are ultimately completely meaningless.

Here are the endings, side by side. It's a real pisstake - if you don't want to spoiler it for yourself, you'll be fine watching the first ~30 seconds or so.
Youtube.com

This pretty much sums up why everyone's so pissed and IMO are very much right to be.

Add this to the fact that all 3 games don't even matter in the scheme of the ending other than 1 minor change at the end of the video. You've spent around 200hours full of choices that was utterly meaningless in the end, you could've just played the last game and experienced the same ending. It suffers the same problem that Deus Ex 3's endings had.. and in all fairness as a developer, these endings should be viewed as extremely lazy. We've seen this type of thing done really well in the past, there was nothing stoping Bioware from doing something amazing. This ending wreaks of a rush job, we know the ending was changed because of the leak- the original ending was vastly superior and actually had a huge ethical dilemma, let humanity die so the reapers can save the universe, let the reapers die and everyone dies. (so in the end it was the bad guys who turned out to be the good guys).

The kid pushed everyone over the edge though.. I don't think anyone could like that character.. he was poorly developed and throw away.. no one gave a shit- so why did the writers think we would?

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 17 2012, 7:36am Anchor
formerlyknownasMrCP wrote:
ambershee wrote:To clarify - they gave you a multiple choice question to which there is no wrong answer; the result is exactly the same regardless of which you choose. The cut scenes are more or less identical in all cases except for particle systems that are different colours - that's the absolute kicker. You never find out what the results of your choices even mean, so pretty much all of them across three games are ultimately completely meaningless.

Youtube.com

This pretty much sums up why everyone's so pissed and IMO are very much right to be.

Add this to the fact that all 3 games don't even matter in the scheme of the ending other than 1 minor change at the end of the video. You've spent around 200hours full of choices that was utterly meaningless in the end, you could've just played the last game and experienced the same ending. It suffers the same problem that Deus Ex 3's endings had.. and in all fairness as a developer, these endings should be viewed as extremely lazy. We've seen this type of thing done really well in the past, there was nothing stoping Bioware from doing something amazing. This ending wreaks of a rush job, we know the ending was changed because of the leak- the original ending was vastly superior and actually had a huge ethical dilemma, let humanity die so the reapers can save the universe, let the reapers die and everyone dies. (so in the end it was the bad guys who turned out to be the good guys).

The kid pushed everyone over the edge though.. I don't think anyone could like that character.. he was poorly developed and throw away.. no one gave a shit- so why did the writers think we would?

I'd even argue that Human Revolution's endings were better than Mass Effect 3. They at least differed from each other, and the game was more about making choices that would impact any future game. What I've gotten so far from reading all the debates is that everyone arguing in favor of ME3's ending either haven't played it or are just arguing for it for the sake of arguing for it.

--

ambershee
Mar 17 2012, 9:39am Anchor

I'm hearing rumours that the whole thing was planned, and that there's a 'real' ending contained within the next DLC called 'the Truth'.

Mar 17 2012, 11:22am Anchor
ambershee wrote:I'm hearing rumours that the whole thing was planned, and that there's a 'real' ending contained within the next DLC called 'the Truth'.

This has become a common trend you know, how we get sold a dodgy shitty game and have to pay in order to get something fixed that should really have been a FREE patch.

It was bad enough when they tried that with Fallout 3, Now Bioware's done it too. What the flying fuck is wrong with Developers lately. Ugh I'm getting so damn tired of all this. Especially with the fucking focus of Metacritic, its just gotten way out of control. I thought it was bad 5 years ago, but god damn.. I want to get off this ride damn it.

Edited by: formerlyknownasMrCP

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 17 2012, 12:38pm Anchor
formerlyknownasMrCP wrote:
ambershee wrote:I'm hearing rumours that the whole thing was planned, and that there's a 'real' ending contained within the next DLC called 'the Truth'.

This has become a common trend you know, how we get sold a dodgy shitty game and have to pay in order to get something fixed that should really have been a FREE patch.

It was bad enough when they tried that with Fallout 3, Now Bioware's done it too. What the flying fuck is wrong with Developers lately. Ugh I'm getting so damn tired of all this. Especially with the fucking focus of Metacritic, its just gotten way out of control. I thought it was bad 5 years ago, but god damn.. I want to get off this ride damn it.

God*

And yeah, it is just getting irritating. Even my dad, who hasn't even played Mass Effect, agrees entirely with the argument against the endings. He especially hates the bit with the kid... which I think is a universal feeling at this point.

--

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 17 2012, 1:29pm Anchor

Quote:You've spent around 200hours full of choices that was utterly meaningless in the end, you could've just played the last game and experienced the same ending.

That's like saying everything you've done in Oblivion is meaningless because you could just pick up the series from Skyrim, and everything you do in Skyrim is utterly meaningless because it'll end fighting the same boss in the same place. The ending to that quest isn't going to mean everyone who played had a similar experience.
Seriously, Bioware isn't ignoring 200 hours of choices and rendering them meaningless, you are.

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 17 2012, 9:16pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:
Quote:You've spent around 200hours full of choices that was utterly meaningless in the end, you could've just played the last game and experienced the same ending.

That's like saying everything you've done in Oblivion is meaningless because you could just pick up the series from Skyrim, and everything you do in Skyrim is utterly meaningless because it'll end fighting the same boss in the same place. The ending to that quest isn't going to mean everyone who played had a similar experience.
Seriously, Bioware isn't ignoring 200 hours of choices and rendering them meaningless, you are.

Cryrid wrote:

Why do you take such personal conviction with this, Cybrid?

Also, let me put it this way. Mass Effect 3's ending like if the Schroendering's cat experiment ended with them saying "oh, we never put poison or a cat in there. The cat's in Hawaii. Boy did we have you going..."

--

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 18 2012, 12:46am Anchor

Quote:Why do you take such personal conviction with this, Cybrid?

Because every where I go, Redium, all I see is waaaah Mass Effect this, waaaaah EA that.  

QQ guys. 

Mar 18 2012, 4:06am Anchor
Cryrid wrote:

Bioware's design was all about taking into consideration what was done in previous games, the ending does not reflect that design ethos, its totally inconsistent and comes across as blatantly rushed. Point is Mass Effect 2 handled this way way better than what Mass Effect 3 did, comparing the game within the same series, we can definitely see some decline in the quality of the design. (but to its credit we also see some improvement too, the skill system in Mass Effect 3 is superior to that of Mass Effect 2's).

And on the subject of Oblivion and Skyrim I wouldn't even pick those games up because they're not even worth the time.. Unless you're a lobotomized chimp that can't do anything but press a button. I only brought up Fallout 3 because much like Mass Effect 3 I can see them "Cashing in" on this fuckup of an ending.. its exactly that, a fuckup. Why should the consumer have to pay for that to be fixed?

Cryrid wrote:
Because every where I go, Redium, all I see is waaaah Mass Effect this, waaaaah EA that.   

Then stop going there! lol. Seriously, you've come onto a forum.. this is the last place you should be if you don't like people bitching :D

I'll agree though that the Butthurt some people have is funny as fuck. Like that guy that said Bioware convinced them life wasn't worth living anymore... lol A game can do that now?.. geez 1st world problems.

Edited by: formerlyknownasMrCP

Ambient_Malice
Ambient_Malice Ultraconservative Hippie Freak
Mar 18 2012, 11:40am Anchor

I've been playing ME3 the past few days. It's a GOOD game. But it's not a GREAT game, especially in terms of writing. I intensely dislike how ME has become so politically correct. The first Mass Effect actually allowed Shepard to have opinions about menial stuff, like human supremism and whether shagging aliens is okay or whether Shepard believes in God.

I like series like Metal Gear, where a singular creative vision unites a team. Playing Mass Effect 3 is like watching a bunch of issue-of-the-week topics coated with sci-fi sheen. There's no rhyme or reason. I call it 'fragmentation'. It affects level design, too. The citadel in ME1 existed in 3D space. The Citadel in ME3 has been reduced to a series of rooms connected by an elevator. Bioware was warned of this design flaw in 2008, when analysists pointed out that splitting the Normandy with loadscreens in ME2 caused players to not feed the fish because they forgot they existed.

The endings problem... I agree that the ending is much inferior to the leaked version.

I feel as if Bioware bait n switched us, relationships wise. Because with a few moments of niceness, the platonic relationships in ME3 are scant and fluffy. My FemShep should be able to engage Ashley or EDI in some meaningful way. Bioware promised us deeper relationships. All I've seen so far is a nice scene with Garrus, some Liara, and that annoying English chick who replaced Kelly Chambers wanting to have hot lesbian sex in the shower with me. *Fun Fact: reading the leaked script gave me the insight into how to save Kelly from Cerberus*

So yea... I also think Ashley William's character has been butchered. She bears little resemblance to her ME1 self. Which is annoying, because although she was obnoxious, Ashley was a solid character.

--

Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?
-Peter Hitchens

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Mar 18 2012, 1:51pm Anchor

Quote:And on the subject of Oblivion and Skyrim I wouldn't even pick those games up because they're not even worth the time.. Unless you're a lobotomized chimp that can't do anything but press a button.  

Lol, what?  If you ask around, I'm sure we could get someone to mod in an extra high horse for you? 

Quote:Why should the consumer have to pay for that to be fixed? 

The story shouldn't have to be 'fixed' in the first place just because you're losing your shit over it. Is this really what it's come down to, that your sense of entitlement has gone so high that it alone can justify the stereotypes people have about gamers?  'Waaaah, I didn't like the author's ending to Harry Potter because it isn't what happened in my own fan fic; fix it else'. It's their universe, not yours. 

Great thing about lobotomized chimps; they're capable of enjoying an entire 200 hour gaming experience without acting like complete prats and throwing a tantrum over the very end.  

Quote:Then stop going there! lol. Seriously, you've come onto a forum.. 

A) Yes, stop going everywhere?
B) This is a forum. Which means if people want to come here and spill their tears over the last three minutes of a video game franchise, other people are free to post their own thoughts on the issue and poke fun at the crybabies. Not every has to play along to your little circle jerk. 

ambershee
Mar 18 2012, 2:31pm Anchor

There are legitimate reasons why people are pissed off, yes there's a lot of childish shit-slinging, but hey, this is the Internet and it's to be expected.

You spend three games, released over a period of five years, and a bare minimum if around 100 hours to recieve and ending that boils down to three choices of an identical, entirely contextless cut scene that doesn't even make sense, and is summed up by a post credits insulting screen that says "now go buy more of our shit!". The ending entirely robs the player of any sense of closure. The ending never needed to be anything more than a brief info-dump, but instead fans who may have spent hundreds of dollars, played for hundreds of hours and have waited five years just get three lines of text that urge them to spend even more money.

To make matters worse, the games marketing says the exact opposite:

Quote:EXPERIENCE THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE, AND END OF AN EMOTIONAL STORY UNLIKE ANY OTHER, WHERE THE DECISIONS YOU MAKE COMPLETELY SHAPE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND OUTCOME."

The catch? Descisions you make may shape your experience, but this key tag line claims it shapes the outcome - which we all now know is an outright and blatant lie.

You'd think someone might feel some sense of entitlement when they don't recieve the product they're being advertised.

Edited by: ambershee

Reqieumthefallen
Mar 18 2012, 3:21pm Anchor

Exactly. What if the next Deus Ex game claimed it would let you once again choose how you want to play, but instead of actually playing like a Deus Ex game, were to just have you pick from two options, and then the game would change how you'd play mid-level (every time) anyway. That wouldn't seem like they're holding up to the end of their bargain, now isn't it?

Also, just repeating "everyone is childish because something they cared about (that was one of the biggest undertakings for an RPG in God knows how long) completely defeats its own purpose and as a result they whine and whine", isn't doing any of us any favors. It doesn't enlighten anyone, it just sounds arrogant. How about instead of just essentially disregarding the issue entirely, you suggest a better alternative. Heck even Kotaku eventually (because as I said before, they've had a very similar tone about all this) admitted that there -is- something at the core of ME3's ending that just isn't it. Let me make this clear: I don't want to make Mass Effect 3's ending be whatever I wanted, that is not the problem. The problem is that they fail to make the ending actually be defined by your choices, they make it completely irrevelant to everything else, and they essentially say "buy more DLC for the ending" for a game that was supposed to be the ending, plain and simple. This isn't about creative rights, it's about someone not doing their job right.
Bioware is entirely entitled to their rights on the story and everything else, so people need to stop saying that creative rights is the focus of this rage because it is not.

Side note -- A clown face, seriously? Are you trying to troll or start a fight?

Edited by: Reqieumthefallen

--

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.