Forum Thread
by member
Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs (Forums : Contests : Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
Nov 4 2008, 8:10am Anchor

Made some changes to this guy based on Henley's suggestions. Thanks, Henley.

L4Dead
Also thought I'd make a start on my infected. Got a fair way through and thought I'd better post it now before I get too far along. She's a lunch lady with death breath - although that isn't apparent just yet. I want to add some greenish breath later and maybe add a few thumbnails illustrating her death breath action. I thought maybe she could have a novelty 'kiss the chef' apron too!

L4Dead

TGF
TGF
Nov 4 2008, 9:33am Anchor

Wow this is a pretty sweet competition tbh. Might as well join in. 8)

So yeah here is my infected concept. I call him "Mute" because he is silent all of the time (except when he is running or hitting someone).

The infection deformed him badly as you can see but he is still capable of taking a lot of punishment and causing some damage. He is very pale, and exposure to light will cause burns along with slower movement, which is why he lurks in the shadows and must ambush his pray in order to get the kill. He is pretty strong in 1 on 1 fight and one flashlight will not be enough to chase him away, or cause enough damage. He is also very resilient to gunfire, almost to the point that shooting him is a waste, which is why survivors should focus their flashlights on him and then he is going down in a matter of seconds.

L4D concept art

And here is my survivor concept. She is Melissa, say hi everyone. :)

She was a detective before all hell broke loose and now all she wants is to get out of the whole mess and help who ever she can in the process. As a cop she has good knowledge of firearms and is pretty good at general combat. The outbreak made her question the authorities however since she believes that if enough precautions were taken the whole incident could have been avoided. Sadly she lost her husband to the infected which had a strong impact on her mind making her very pessimistic.

L4D concept art

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them so bring it on. :)
Of course they are very early concepts and I will probably change stuff as I go along.

Also a couple of questions to the mods or who ever is in charge here:

Can we change our concept before the deadline and not submit it here?
Because I have a couple of ideas and am not sure on which one to use.

Is there a file size limit in both the pixels and KBs?

If we have a back story for the character can we include it on the image, or should the image contain only the character and the story should be figured out from it?

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 4 2008, 10:15am Anchor

User Posted Image
WiP on the zepplin.

You see, this is what the player spawns as, then as the player uses up all the sticky waste the zepplin can produce they turn into the psycotica design I made. The player can quickly turn into the psycotica by igniting themselves, the extra waste lights on fire and falls off of the zeplin and only the soggy hanging corps is left. The 2nd stage doesn't slow players down with slime because its waste is more like gasoline and can't fly above 10 feet but movement is more controleable, grabbing people is easier (but doesn't slow players down) and the player gets more health and is harder to hit because of size.

edit: might be good practice for me to try a survivor as well :D I'm thinking of making a light agile survivor that can climb easily and jump almost superhuman lengths to act as a scout for the team (and drop grenades into masses of zombies from above).

Edited by: AlexCrafter

Nov 4 2008, 10:17am Anchor

hi again, i made some changes to my wheelchair zombie.... soon i will start with the survivor!

User Posted Image

thanks for the comments

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 4 2008, 10:25am Anchor

Looks fucking gruesome! If I saw that in a match I'd run.
I'm confused on the way there are two heads and four arms though, I'm tempted to say conjoined twins but I don't know. Also keep in mind that the virus in l4d doesn't reanimate dead corpses, it turns live people into zombies.

Nov 4 2008, 10:31am Anchor

User Posted Image

Some work in progress(ignore the leg). Rotten corpse that attracted flies to lay eggs inside his body, after the maggot feeding on the dead infected flesh it also gets mutated. Now the flies forms nests on him and when he is attacked the files will attack too.... Or something like that....

Jesus Cosentino & KEEP_IT_UP thats so dam good... Keep up the good work people I want to see a rick ashely riding on a f***ing zombie bear !!

Edited by: pk7677

Tzaechireon
Tzaechireon Young old fart.
Nov 4 2008, 10:47am Anchor

Hairwolf, make the wailer a female zombie and you can call it a banshee!

--

The irony of claiming I have no signature here is that now I have one.

Nov 4 2008, 11:01am Anchor

Omg lots of people joined now :P Just a question, do we have to post the final pic of our concept? Since there is nowhere where I can post a .jpg over 3MB... BTW, why do people make zombies? I mean with the whole skeleton showing up or dead reanimated people? The "zombies" or infected as they are known are not dead people walking, they are living used-to-be humans infected with a virus causing them to frenzy.

Edited by: Phott

Nov 4 2008, 11:26am Anchor

Might have my first WIP of my survivor read for tonight, depends if I'm satisified with the results or not. I would also like to point out, like 2 people have before me, the virus doesn't bring back the dead. It puts the currently living into a crazed and enraged state to where they lose control over themselves.

Nov 4 2008, 11:39am Anchor

Sherpa colored in without shading

These will probably not be the final colors.

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 4 2008, 12:35pm Anchor
Zithoraxx wrote:Might have my first WIP of my survivor read for tonight, depends if I'm satisified with the results or not. I would also like to point out, like 2 people have before me, the virus doesn't bring back the dead. It puts the currently living into a crazed and enraged state to where they lose control over themselves.

Phott wrote:Omg lots of people joined now :P Just a question, do we have to post the final pic of our concept? Since there is nowhere where I can post a .jpg over 3MB... BTW, why do people make zombies? I mean with the whole skeleton showing up or dead reanimated people? The "zombies" or infected as they are known are not dead people walking, they are living used-to-be humans infected with a virus causing them to frenzy.

True that their not dead in the traditional zombie sense but at the same time you have to remember that the virus does more than take over the body, it mutates the boss zombie's bodies.

Nov 4 2008, 12:36pm Anchor

ok, i didnt know that the virus only affects living people, so i decide to change my concept, now its a crippled men in a wheelchair that was infected and now part of his vertebral column is mutated...

User Posted Image

Nov 4 2008, 12:54pm Anchor

Tzaechireon, yeh i have to admit Banshees where part of the inspiration for these guys (I am from the land of Banshees after all :D) but decided on a more genric type name as there's lot's of em...good suggestion though.

Nov 4 2008, 1:04pm Anchor

one question. can i post more than one idea?

Edited by: brucelee666

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 4 2008, 1:12pm Anchor

As long as you only submit one as final I think it's fine. I did and nothing bad's happened to me.

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Nov 4 2008, 1:15pm Anchor
brucelee666 wrote:one question. can i post more than one ideas?

you can only post 1 zombie and 1 survivor, so make them count

--

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 4 2008, 1:25pm Anchor
Henley wrote:

Does that mean you can't post more than one wip though?

Shooter__Andy
Shooter__Andy ZombieEd. dev.
Nov 4 2008, 1:32pm Anchor

Was kinda busy today, so almost no progress:

Nov 4 2008, 1:35pm Anchor
cosentino wrote:ok, i didnt know that the virus only affects living people, so i decide to change my concept, now its a crippled men in a wheelchair that was infected and now part of his vertebral column is mutated...

User Posted Image

Hey dude, I think your idea on the other wheelchair was way better. Instead of saying he came from the mourge, just write that he might have crazed in agony enough to cut himself up? I hate when people have put down hard work on something only to realise they have to re-do it, just change the story ;)

Nov 4 2008, 1:37pm Anchor

cosentino your first concept of your monster is better than the second

Nov 4 2008, 2:10pm Anchor

Righty, made a start on mine but at the moment its rather bland... I started out not wanting him to be too mutated seeing as the tank is the only real exception (the boomer is fat!) But ill flesh him out good and proper.

I wanted to make him a slow moving crowd mob, that, similar to the witch will oneshot or deal high damage when close but its about observation and killing him when hes in the fray!

Just a wip at the moment to get started.

User Posted Image

Edited by: Jackwhat

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Nov 4 2008, 2:25pm Anchor
AlexCrafter wrote:
Henley wrote:

Does that mean you can't post more than one wip though?

post more then 1 wip? do u mean for 1 design? We do suggest you post more then 1 wip for your design, here are the rules we made for the comp Moddb.com i would take noticed of this line "Only one entry will be accepted in each of the two categories, per person. Once your entry is received it cannot be changed, edited or withdrawn" So I would pick your own personal best and submit that. Dont go posting anything you dont plan on submitting, otherwise its just confusing people.

--

Nov 4 2008, 2:27pm Anchor

i ask the mods, fits my first concept of the dual zombie in the l4d universe ?

here's my pregress on the second concept

User Posted Image

Nov 4 2008, 2:35pm Anchor

I think your second concept fits the universe much better, but the first looks a hell of a lot cooler. Work progresses on my sketch... may have something posted by tonight if I get the work needed done.

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Nov 4 2008, 2:50pm Anchor

nice work jack ;D ze face is cool :>

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.