Forum Thread
by member
Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs (Forums : Contests : Left 4 Dead Concept Art Contest WIPs) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32
Nov 1 2008, 11:04am Anchor
Tzaechireon wrote:
starf1sh wrote:Stenchy just one thing dude. Are we allowed to draw an entire scene? Or does it have to be a stand alone character concept similar to whats in the L4D media pack.
Yeah, I'd like to know if we can submit an epic battle scene to double up as both categories.

Also, progress. Since ModDB insists, feedback please..

I think its a good concept with great potential!

User Posted Image

Edited by: The_Voice

Nov 1 2008, 11:10am Anchor

Ok, here's a WIP, I'm not very good at drawing so I hope this contest is more about a good idea than a good pic of your zombie/survivor.Anyway, this is a zombie, I call it "the Shadow Zombie", it lurks on the rooftops and stalks the survivors, waiting for anyone to fall from the group. That is when he/she/it strikes, its prey doesn't stand a chance alone. (Still unsure about the pipe though.)User Posted Image

Edited by: Phott

Nov 1 2008, 2:17pm Anchor

Are we doing full scenes or just 1 character standing in empty (gradient) background? Turn arounds? Please give a little bit more info.

starf1sh
starf1sh Lead Artist Infuse Digital
Nov 1 2008, 2:55pm Anchor

Read the first page of this thread dude, it's all there. :)

Nov 1 2008, 3:36pm Anchor

The last pic didn't want to show up properly so I'll just post a new and updated one (Barely updated), I just added the effect so you could see the idea better. I'll add the description here aswell. User Posted ImageUser Posted ImageAnyway, this is a zombie, I call it "the Shadow Zombie", it lurks on the rooftops and stalks the survivors, waiting for anyone to fall from the group. That is when he/she/it strikes, its prey doesn't stand a chance alone. (Still unsure about the pipe though.)

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 1 2008, 4:39pm Anchor

The proportions are off but I think that's intended; that gives it creepy inhuman look. Nice idea for a zombie though, need something to teach people not to fall behind or go off on their own.

Nov 1 2008, 6:05pm Anchor

Timmy and Greg
Timmy and Greg! conjoined twin zombie!
one player controls Greg and another can move and bat timmy around freely while waiting to respawn or spectating.

you guys can probably pack it in, sorry! :'D

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 1 2008, 7:13pm Anchor

The idea of swinging around as someone's arm while spectating is awesome! It would also work well a taunt system like tf2's where Timmy waves and yells "HI GUYS!"

What are peoples opinions on paranormal zombies? So far I see none in l4d but would that make one feel out of place or does it all just fit together?

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Nov 1 2008, 7:32pm Anchor

what do you mean by paranormal zombies ? lol

Nov 1 2008, 7:59pm Anchor

Great ideas so far guys! I'll post my sketches in a few days. I've got a couple ideas that I think would be cool. Good luck to everyone!

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 1 2008, 8:05pm Anchor
Quote:what do you mean by paranormal zombies ? lol

I mean things that aren't caused by a virus, because I'm working on a zombie which floats in the air for no apparent reason; kind of ghostly in a F.E.A.R. kind of way. I'm not sure whether to keep her as she is or make the design more plausible but either way I need to get some sleep, I'll post sketches tomorrow.

Nov 1 2008, 11:34pm Anchor

"Only one entry will be accepted in each of the two categories, per person" so does that mean we can submit 2 entries? One for each catagory? OK, I know it's a stupid question but I just want to know what's what before I go making too many images.

--

Question everything, believe nothing.

Nov 2 2008, 12:12am Anchor

hi there,

i' m perfectly happy with your choise, that you are doing a "concept art contest".
today i was bored stiff but that ceased as soon as i cought sight of it! :thumbup:

and just to let the judges know ... I WANNA WIN SOMETHING! :lol: ;)

so, here are my first 2 scetches. i will call my zombie-creation "ex-con"
he was lucky and rekindled after capital punishment ;)
i hope you get the weapon idea and the details, GIVE ME FEEDBACK, this week
i have to do much work for college, so i don't know if there is enough time to do
the colours in photoshop... have to see what can be done, if there is some freetime i'll do it ;)
so, here are the pencil's - 2008 © by david müller...some fact's:

- some cind of boss in a epic prison battle outside the big walls
- his face is hidden behind some bloody square of cloth, so he is nearly blind BUT he has some great instinct's.
(believe me, you don't want to see his face. if you do so, you'll probably die just because of that :D)

- he use the arm of the chair to stab into people to death -> he failed to get rid of it ;)
(i also thought about the flashing-cable to be some sort of weapon, maybe for the other hand
as a combination but i scrapped these thought's - would be too much.)

- he's changing like other infected from l4d - you see those "balls" growing on his body?!
- he wears a bloody "orange" prisoner's garb and a "used" blue jeans
- he's very strong (but you could see him from far away, because of his flashing cable)
- if his little cable is getting into some water... he's finished really quick but BEFORE that...
- you are finished really quick ;)

- i needed 3 and a half hours to finish booth (started at 0:30 a.m. and did my last scratch at about 4:00 a.m.):

here you can see a him in action (just a five minutes scetch to show it):

EDIT: please excuse my english, i am from germany :)

greeting's and thanks for such a great contest,
D.M.

Edited by: KEEP_IT_UP!

Nov 2 2008, 12:12am Anchor

Awesome. I've been wanting to get in on one of these competitions for a while now but haven't had the time due to work. I'll be off the grid for a month starting tomorrow, tonight may be my only chance to submit anything. Sorry for the bad image quality for my wip. I'm at a hotel and lacking a scanner. I'll be burning the midnight oil trying to get this finished.anyway, this is an infected boss. a bit on the large side. his bones have protruded from his skin and are beginning to form a sort of carapace.User Posted ImageUser Posted Imagegreat entries so far and I look forward to seeing what everyone creates when I get back.

stenchy
stenchy InstantRespawn.com
Nov 2 2008, 1:45am Anchor
L-J-F wrote:"Only one entry will be accepted in each of the two categories, per person" so does that mean we can submit 2 entries? One for each catagory? OK, I know it's a stupid question but I just want to know what's what before I go making too many images.

Yes, two entries are allowed from one person. One for survivor and one for boss infected/zombie.

Tzaechireon : looks like a great start, can't wait to see where it leads!

Machiosabre : Haha, that concept is so outrageous. I love it! Everyone can picture themselves flailing around as the retarded arm of a much larger beast.

KEEP_IT_UP!
: Amazing stuff, love how you've detailed his abilities and behavior. As your name says, KEEP IT UP!

mantisenator : Looks interesting, can't wait until you flesh out it out a bit and post up a nice scan for us.

Also just a note, people should be able to upload images to the image gallery in their own personal profile pages. This eliminates the need to use imageshack or any other such service. Keep 'em coming people!

Edited by: stenchy

Nov 2 2008, 1:47am Anchor

dang. this is as far as I can get tonight. I hope everyone likes it.User Posted ImageUser Posted Image

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Nov 2 2008, 1:48am Anchor
KEEP_IT_UP! wrote:hi there,

i' m perfectly happy with your choise, that you are doing a "concept art contest".
today i was bored stiff but that ceased as soon as i cought sight of it! :thumbup:

and just to let the judges know ... I WANNA WIN SOMETHING! :lol: ;)

so, here are my first 2 scetches. i will call my zombie-creation "ex-con"
he was lucky and rekindled after capital punishment ;)
i hope you get the weapon idea and the details, GIVE ME FEEDBACK, this week
i have to do much work for college, so i don't know if there is enough time to do
the colours in photoshop... have to see what can be done, if there is some freetime i'll do it ;)
so, here are the pencil's - 2008 © by david müller...some fact's:

- some cind of boss in a epic prison battle outside the big walls
- his face is hidden behind some bloody square of cloth, so he is nearly blind BUT he has some great instinct's.
(believe me, you don't want to see his face. if you do so, you'll probably die just because of that :D)

- he use the arm of the chair to stab into people to death -> he failed to get rid of it ;)
(i also thought about the flashing-cable to be some sort of weapon, maybe for the other hand
as a combination but i scrapped these thought's - would be too much.)

- he's changing like other infected from l4d - you see those "balls" growing on his body?!
- he wears a bloody "orange" prisoner's garb and a "used" blue jeans
- he's very strong (but you could see him from far away, because of his flashing cable)
- if his little cable is getting into some water... he's finished really quick but BEFORE that...
- you are finished really quick ;)

- i needed 3 and a half hours to finish booth (started at 0:30 a.m. and did my last scratch at about 4:00 a.m.):

here you can see a him in action (just a five minutes scetch to show it):

EDIT: please excuse my english, i am from germany :)

greeting's and thanks for such a great contest,
D.M.

Wow that's awesome, but just so you know they enemies are not really zombies, there not dead, there alive but they have something similar to a rage virus, this is why when you get attacked or die you dont turn into a zombie!

--

Nov 2 2008, 7:19am Anchor

Dude, that ex-con is awesome! I don't stand a chance though... :/ But, I'm not a quitter which means I'll give it a try.

Nov 2 2008, 8:23am Anchor

Ok this is my idea for a zombie.The concept is still wip.User Posted Image

Edited by: speedgnom

Nov 2 2008, 9:08am Anchor

Worked on it a little more now. Sharpened some lines and added those blob thingys on it. I'm gonna try to colour it and see what happens.User Posted Image

Nov 2 2008, 10:00am Anchor

looks interesting , i will join as well , will post my progress image when i done it :>

Nov 2 2008, 11:05am Anchor

Here is my update :)

I was thinking on making a zombie patient from a mad house and fisherman and i think it worked a little.The idea is that this zombie lurks near docks and mad houses.I still need to do more work on it.
User Posted Image

Oh and Phott,your zombie looks cool

Edited by: speedgnom

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Nov 2 2008, 11:25am Anchor

Finished designs for my three zombies. Now I have to choose which one to continue working on; and I got my tablet working :D. I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera out.

Speedgnom; I love the idea of a fisherman themed zombie!

Well, I don't have a camera here but my webcam is better than nothing.

Zombie 1: Bulimic: slow speed medium health.
Leaves a trail of slime wherever he moves that slows anything that steps on it.
Primary attack spits slime with low damage that slows a player down.
Secondary attack ignites the zombie after two seconds delay also igniting the trail he left and anyone stepping on it. This increases his speed to double and attack to double but he dies after 10 seconds.
User Posted Image

Zombie 2: Psycotica: slow speed small health.
Primary attack slowly drips gasoline.
Secondary attack held in pulls a human to her which she grabs and holds hostage style. (Small radius to use this)
Holding both primary and secondary fire for three seconds lights her on fire dropping from the sky into the gasoline she has on the floor (if she is holding a survivor when she drops the survivor falls into the fire too. When killed (about one shot) the body ignights after 3 seconds of convulsing.
(The dark clothes help her blend into the dark environments)
User Posted Image

2: Zeppelin: slow difficult to handle movement and small health.
Scrolling changes the height he floats at slowly.
On primary attack he oozes slime that slows survivors (And is flammable)
Secondary fire lights him on fire after 2 seconds and he falls out of the sky and ignites his trail of slime. He also ignites immediately when shot but takes time to fall.
User Posted Image

Feedback about which to keep / what to change would be nice but remember this is my first time drawing anything outside of school.

Edited by: AlexCrafter

Nov 2 2008, 12:18pm Anchor

I like the last zombie

Nov 2 2008, 1:26pm Anchor

The second zombie looks best IMO, could be very creepy in dark alleys. But I don't think the it's possible to be that weak, the virus they are infected with turns them into a frenzy which makes them feel no pain like any other zombie.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.