Ju-On Ideas and Concepts
I've recently had a marathon watching the Ju-On films, and realized I would love to see something like that in a video-game and bring the sheer terror over from that world, and experiences from the characters into a video-game. Hence, my idea for a game using the Source Engine called Ju-On. The details, and ideas I've had for the game are down below, and would definetly love some feedback, suggestions, etc but most importantly I'd love to get some people working on this game. I'm a decent mapper on the Source Engine, a writer, and graphic design. I'd love some help, and a dedicated team to make this unique game and bring it to life. The goal: Make the scariest survival-horror game people will play.
Ju-On would be a multiplayer Source mod that would take place in the universe of Ju-On (The Grudge) and would be a survival-horror
mod/game. Players would take the role of paranormal invesitgators whom are investigating certain areas of Japan that be been
noted as haunted, but they soon find out that the spirit of Kayako, and tormented soul of a murdered woman
is now following them, killing them off one by one. The goal? Survive till morning, and not let Kayako add you to her list of dead.
- There will be two teams, one team will be the Paranormal Investigators where as the other team is a solo/lone-wolf team
with the player playing as Kayako. Kayako's goal is to hunt down the other team one by one and kill them, which she can do in various means.
- The goal of the Paranormal Investigator players is to survive till morning (15 minutes) and their only tool/weapon is a Flashlight that can illuminate
dark spaces, and blind Kayako.
- A simple energy system that allows players to run, and sprint for short bursts to get away from Kayako. Kayako would also use the energy system by finding little urns around the map, that fill her Energy Gauge. Her energy gauge would fill at 250 points, and everytime she uses an ability the gauge would dwindle down to 0. These abilities include Spirit Form which costs 50 points, and allow Kayako to go invisible and walk around this also allows her to pass through dense objects like walls, etc. However, she cannot attack in Spirit Form. Spirit Form does not drain Energy when in effect, so she can use it endlessely as long as she has 50 points to cast it. The second ability would be called Wrap which costs 75 points and allows Kayako to wrap her long, black hair around a player and hold them in place. Players can be broken free by pressing the jump button on their keyboard in quick succession. The third and final ability is called Possession and costs 200 points to use, and allows Kayako to possess one player for 60 seconds. During this time, she controls the player and do whatever she wishes (get them seperated from others, or even commit suicide from falling from heights). Once the 60 seconds end, or the possessed person dies Kayako is ejected from their body. To possess them she has to be within melee distance of the player (can do this while in Spirit Form).
- The game would have a very frightening feel to it, and add to the intensity players would experience trying to survive and hide from Kayako. Maps would be extremely dark with hardly any lights, or power on. I'd want Kayako to be the scariest, and most deadly enemy players have encountered in a video-game.
- Since the game takes place in Japan I'd want a very Japanese feel to the maps, but also keep the horror aspect to each location.
- Have atleast one map from the films (the house where Kayako was murdered) and aim for every other map to be original
locations in Japan that weren't in the films, or diffirent concepts of buildings seen in the films.
- Maps like a Hospital, Children's School, Subway Station, Apartment Building, Highrise, etc.
- Lots of scary sounds to bring the mood and setting of the game to attention. For example, frightened breathing, white noise from radios
and televisions, Kayako's death rattle, very eerie music, echoing footsteps, and blood curdling screams when players die.
- Achievements, including a variety based around playing as Kayako.
- Kayako cannot be killed, players can just blind her with their Flashlights. Think of it as a deadly, and frightening game of Hide and Seek.
- If a player is killed, they entire Spectate mode and get to watch their friends and fellow players try and survive against Kayako.
- Have the ability for Kayako to walk on walls, and ceilings. She will also have the ability to crawl on the floor in her very eerie manner like she does in the film franchise.
- The last player to be killed will spawn as Kayako next round.
- A violent, and gorey game that would be given an M rating if it was released on shelves.
- More to come!
Manio31 (Justin Ross \ Project Lead \ Public Relations \ Mapper \ Writer)
- Character Modelers (Not much work, just make a Kayako model) we could use the default HL2 DM models
and create skins for them that would suit this world, and game.
- Mappers (I can't do all the mapping alone, and would love some people to help with the creation of these Japanese themed maps).
- Concept Artist (Mainly to help the modelers)
- Object/Item Modeler(s) (Basically model objects such as cars, and items you'd see in the enviroments).
- Texture Artists (To create skins for the models being created).
- Music Composer (Make all the music for the game, this would include theme music, title music, etc).
- Sound Artist (Create sounds for the game which includes everything but music.)
NOTE: Everyone who helps develop this game will get a character in the game based off of them, and once the game
is finished and released all of the main people on the team will be gifted a game on Steam. That'll be the payment since I'm broke as shit.
So, if you're curious on helping out the game and making it a possibility please post in this thread using this form if you wish to apply to be part of the team, or apply to me via a PM if you wish to be part of the team.
Original Work: (You must show original work you've done in the field you're applying for.)
If we can get a dedicated team to release this project we will build lots of ways for people to follow, and watch progress on the game. These will include a Twitter account, FaceBook account, YouTube Channel and Forums. Again, I really hope we can get some people down to do this project and make it one of the scariest Source Mods that people can pick up and play.