Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
How can Moddb be brought back on track? (Forums : Suggestions : How can Moddb be brought back on track?) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2
Jul 3 2014, 12:17pm Anchor
TKAzA wrote:
KnightofEquulei wrote:tl;dr

I'll just respond to the thread title:

How can Moddb be brought back on track?

Get rid of the guest system...

Pls INtense.

Other than that, everything else about the site is top stuff.


Can you please provide feedback on what you feel is wrong the guest system.


Everything.
Their spamming, most of them can't speak english, spamming, non-sense messages on /members/guest, spamming, *how to download*, did I mention spamming?
My suggestions to moddb:
-Remove guest system (see above)
-Remove downvoting (so people won't use it for their opinions)
-Add tutorials for the profile (I mean how to add background music, etc... because most people [like me] don't know that)
(I think) this will improve the moddb community.

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Jul 3 2014, 2:23pm Anchor
Sgt_Jenci21 wrote:
TKAzA wrote:
KnightofEquulei wrote:tl;dr

I'll just respond to the thread title:

How can Moddb be brought back on track?

Get rid of the guest system...

Pls INtense.

Other than that, everything else about the site is top stuff.


Can you please provide feedback on what you feel is wrong the guest system.


Everything.
Their spamming, most of them can't speak english, spamming, non-sense messages on /members/guest, spamming, *how to download*, did I mention spamming?
My suggestions to moddb:
-Remove guest system (see above)
-Remove downvoting (so people won't use it for their opinions)
-Add tutorials for the profile (I mean how to add background music, etc... because most people [like me] don't know that)
(I think) this will improve the moddb community.


Lets say removing the guest system isn't an option, how can it be fixed.

Downvoting and upvoting have a purpose, to offer one and not the other wouldn't make sense, its no different to the system youtube introduced, but ours doesn't affect the position of the comment, so is less of a popularity contest and less liable to abuse.

Adding background music to profiles is not officially supported, It is also in my opinion quite annoying, especially if your watching a stream or video whilst browsing the site, Profiles are not like myspace accounts, were you can customize them to your whim, we try to keep some consistency through pages, profiles are one of the few pages we don't support customization on.

That being said, being a modding site, if you can mod your profile and get something to work, that's pretty cool.

Edited by: TKAzA

Jul 3 2014, 3:40pm Anchor
TKAzA wrote:
Sgt_Jenci21 wrote:
TKAzA wrote:
KnightofEquulei wrote:tl;dr

I'll just respond to the thread title:

How can Moddb be brought back on track?

Get rid of the guest system...

Pls INtense.

Other than that, everything else about the site is top stuff.


Can you please provide feedback on what you feel is wrong the guest system.


Everything.
Their spamming, most of them can't speak english, spamming, non-sense messages on /members/guest, spamming, *how to download*, did I mention spamming?
My suggestions to moddb:
-Remove guest system (see above)
-Remove downvoting (so people won't use it for their opinions)
-Add tutorials for the profile (I mean how to add background music, etc... because most people [like me] don't know that)
(I think) this will improve the moddb community.


Lets say removing the guest system isn't an option, how can it be fixed.

Downvoting and upvoting have a purpose, to offer one and not the other wouldn't make sense, its no different to the system youtube introduced, but ours doesn't affect the position of the comment, so is less of a popularity contest and less liable to abuse.

Adding background music to profiles is not officially supported, It is also in my opinion quite annoying, especially if your watching a stream or video whilst browsing the site, Profiles are not like myspace accounts, were you can customize them to your whim, we try to keep some consistency through pages, profiles are one of the few pages we don't support customization on.

That being said, being a modding site, if you can mod your profile and get something to work, that's pretty cool.


Alright, alright. I accept the thing you said about customization, I understand.
But don't compare GoogleTube with Moddb, please. GoogleTube is full of spamming, trolls, dumb things, etc...
And this downvoting thing should be really removed, because atm it only benefits trolls and opinion-based kids.
For the guest thing: alright. But do something please: remove their ability to comment OR only allow their comments if they are approved. (I think) this should keep the BS out from Moddb

Crypt
Crypt Level Designer Type Thing
Jul 3 2014, 5:22pm Anchor

Didn't compare the content of Youtube to that of ModDB, rather the voting systems, which are very comparable (though being part of the internet, ModDB does have it's fair share of spam, trolls and dumb things).

What is the use of the downvote option, exactly? The upvote options is clearly "I like this comment!" but is the downvote option "I didn't like this comment" or a spam marker? While I'm not against the system, I've seen confusion regarding that, or people complaining about their downvotes when they say something unpopular.

On the topic of the guest system, I think some sort of approval-based system could help, even if left up to the profile's admins. The way it works right now (being removed after a few downvotes, if I'm not mistaken) isn't flawed, though I think leaving it up to the profile's admins to filter and approve would help the community at large from having to deal with it.

While we're on the subject of improvements, though, I think one thing that may be worth looking into (if there's anything more that can be done in this department) is adding some slightly more strict or enforced rules for creation of mod/game profiles. I'm not gonna point at anything in particular right now, but it's not hard to find say, a profile with little or nothing to show, or stolen and uncredited content, or simply an idea and a note claiming an entire team is needed. While I can't know for sure just how much actually gets filtered (and no disrespect to the aministrators, I'm sure it's tons) but it seems like sometimes profiles get authorized with less than a view seconds of looking.

Lastly, the review system is great, but I think it's far too easy to give an exceedingly high/low rating. I think in those cases a character requirement should be added, and the ability to flag reviews that consist entirely of something spammy or otherwise invalid solely order to meet that requirement.

Edited by: Crypt

Jul 3 2014, 7:40pm Anchor
Crypt wrote:

What is the use of the downvote option, exactly? The upvote options is clearly "I like this comment!" but is the downvote option "I didn't like this comment" or a spam marker?



I saw other people's comment about complaining because they are getting downvoted and they said it is for preventing spammers.
If it should like "I didn't like this comment" then I think the hider (which hides the comment if it receives too many downvotes) shouldn't be there.

Jul 4 2014, 2:19pm Anchor

I wear being downvoted as a badge of honor. :)

I'm not worried about bad reviews either. I normally check out a couple on anything I look up just to see what issues people have had. Sure, I've seen it abused (like MW3) but when push comes to shove, a good gameplay video will get me to use something vs a bunch of negative reviews.

Spammers? Part of the system. When they start making accounts and flooding the system that way, then what?

What would be nice for reviews is to make the reviews that have reviews count more vs just someone clicking a number between 1 and 10. Just because a bunch of 1's could mean the mod sucks, or it could mean a bunch of people don't like the game/person who made it and downvoted it. With requiring text input (maybe min 150 chars) you can tell if it's really junk mod or reviewer ;)

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Jul 4 2014, 2:27pm Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:I wear being downvoted as a badge of honor. :)

I'm not worried about bad reviews either. I normally check out a couple on anything I look up just to see what issues people have had. Sure, I've seen it abused (like MW3) but when push comes to shove, a good gameplay video will get me to use something vs a bunch of negative reviews.

Spammers? Part of the system. When they start making accounts and flooding the system that way, then what?

What would be nice for reviews is to make the reviews that have reviews count more vs just someone clicking a number between 1 and 10. Just because a bunch of 1's could mean the mod sucks, or it could mean a bunch of people don't like the game/person who made it and downvoted it. With requiring text input (maybe min 150 chars) you can tell if it's really junk mod or reviewer ;)


About the spammers I totally disagree you, rule 1 for me: spammers must be destroyed from the whole world.
About the reviews I agree with you, Moddb must change to a better way in reviews too.

Crypt
Crypt Level Designer Type Thing
Jul 4 2014, 2:43pm Anchor

Yeah, like I said, I think a minimum-character review requirement of more extreme ratings, and a flag for invalid reviews would help eliminate abuse. It's both hurtful to the system as well as a developer's fair ratings if anyone can just click 1 or 10, hit a key and be done with it.

Another thing that there's probably not much that can be done to improve, but is still an annoyance all the same is developers' ability to delete comments with no restrictions. Totally valid and constructive comments get deleted by a developer because they were either unhappy (taking valid CC horribly) or wanted to hide something (like proof of stolen content). It's not a gigantic issue, but it's still pretty annoying to see it happen.

TKAzA
TKAzA Community Manager
Jul 4 2014, 5:47pm Anchor

I agree with having a minimum character limit for reviews, it should result in better communication between reviewer and developer.

Edited by: TKAzA

Jul 4 2014, 9:49pm Anchor
Sgt_Jenci21 wrote:About the spammers I totally disagree you, rule 1 for me: spammers must be destroyed from the whole world.

You are almost to the level of a spammer in the thread..... ;)

Developers can only delete comments in their game/mod/profile section. People can report illegal activity directly to someone in charge, if after being deleted & ignored in the game/mod/profile pages.

Drives me nuts though to see people get upset that their content is being uploaded w/o their "consent" on the site. "Back in my day" people would of LOVED their work being spread around. They said they made the stuff to be played, but legally locked away.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Crypt
Crypt Level Designer Type Thing
Jul 4 2014, 10:25pm Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:Drives me nuts though to see people get upset that their content is being uploaded w/o their "consent" on the site. "Back in my day" people would of LOVED their work being spread around. They said they made the stuff to be played, but legally locked away.

Some people like to be in total control over how and where their work is used. It's not always a case of "I made this for the community at large," rather "I made this for me and I want it used in ways I approve." It's something I totally understand, even though I don't always completely agree with it.

Though what I'm thinking of is when people claim ownership or take credit for work that isn't theirs. That's not cool at all.

Jul 5 2014, 5:24am Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:
Sgt_Jenci21 wrote:About the spammers I totally disagree you, rule 1 for me: spammers must be destroyed from the whole world.

You are almost to the level of a spammer in the thread..... ;)

Developers can only delete comments in their game/mod/profile section. People can report illegal activity directly to someone in charge, if after being deleted & ignored in the game/mod/profile pages.

Drives me nuts though to see people get upset that their content is being uploaded w/o their "consent" on the site. "Back in my day" people would of LOVED their work being spread around. They said they made the stuff to be played, but legally locked away.


wat.

I agree with the last one, I don't understand the current "world's advertisement system", they should be happy instead of suing

Jul 5 2014, 9:57am Anchor
Crypt wrote:Some people like to be in total control over how and where their work is used. It's not always a case of "I made this for the community at large," rather "I made this for me and I want it used in ways I approve." It's something I totally understand, even though I don't always completely agree with it.

I can understand wanting to be in total control, but then you don't release it. Why put a content out if you don't want people to play? If you don't want it distributed it then why offer it? I just don't understand why modders would release stuff and control how people access it.

I'm not referring to using it w/o permission for your own work either (or selling, or claiming as your own, etc), I'm just talking about uploading it to sites for download. That just doesn't make sense to me.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

Jul 5 2014, 10:35am Anchor

I have only used forums once related to a mod. And it was to show developer some images related to a coop playtroughusing that mod with some mates. Also, I posted some criticism there and so on.

I rreplace forum's lack of interest browsing trough "blogs" option. It is quite more interesting reading about multiple topics than browsing around this forum, especially because when I get into a forum, I suppose somebody will reply me in less than a week or so, thing that I really doubt in this one.

I opine old mods, games which were left unreleased should be deleted, at least it would avoid people's comments' like "this is dead" anf so on. Also it's confusing not knowing what news are related to indidb or to modb, I mean, adding some sort of coloured stick around the news' title should be enough for letting us know if it is about mods or not.

On the other hand, the most interesting part of this site are contests. I suppose it's quite complicated organizing them, but I really enjoy during different contests' stages, especially "best game of the year" and "best mod of the year".

Crypt
Crypt Level Designer Type Thing
Jul 5 2014, 12:36pm Anchor
TheHappyFriar wrote:I can understand wanting to be in total control, but then you don't release it. Why put a content out if you don't want people to play?

There's a difference between not wanting other people to experience it, and not wanting other people to control its distribution. Though I do agree with your sentiment, I don't really understand it except in more specific cases (like wanting to make sure mirrors are always up-to-date, or properly packaged or something).

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.