Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
Games you regret buying (Forums : Cosmos : Games you regret buying) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21
Jul 16 2011, 2:48pm Anchor
Sigma wrote:Time for some controversy:

I regret buying Oblivion :D


BY THE NAME OF AZURA! xD
Yeah Oblivion is really a great game (in my opinion) , but sometimes it can get lil bit boring (after 100hrs for me :D) and the dialogue system could be a lot better!

but still such a long game WILL get boring after some amount of time, because its SOOOO long! :D
Still i dont regret buying it, by far the best game i own (had the best fun/playtime/possibilities ratio) :D

A game i regret buying is FarCry 2, because basically you do exactly the same thing 100's of times D: (go there,kill them, blow up a truck...again,again and again)

stocko2k wrote:
Sigma wrote:Time for some controversy:

I regret buying Oblivion :D


Same here if i'm honest the combat was bad the world was kinda samey all the way through and i didnt care about the quests. skyrim is looking nice though


yeah, cant wait for skyrim! :D

--

Think It. Sketch It. Create It. Repeat. 
User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jul 16 2011, 4:03pm Anchor
Sigma wrote:Time for some controversy:

I regret buying Oblivion :D


No controversy there as you are fully right. And unfortunately Skyrim is going even below that (especially bastardizing the story and game mechanics).

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 16 2011, 4:04pm Anchor
Sigma wrote:Time for some controversy:

I regret buying Oblivion :D


I'm still waiting for them to stop making me have to go around and scrounge for lockpicks -- when every mission for the Dark Brotherhood involves "LOCKPICKS!".

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Jul 16 2011, 4:40pm Anchor
Dragonlord wrote:
Sigma wrote:Time for some controversy:

I regret buying Oblivion :D


No controversy there as you are fully right. And unfortunately Skyrim is going even below that (especially bastardizing the story and game mechanics).


I just ment that people expect you to like it just because its oblivion :p
Now, when you overload the game with mods, the game starts to get more fun. But the vanilla game? Finished it once, never again :p
And there is no denying skyrim looks nice, but pretty games can still be bad (naaah :p)

--

°w°

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 16 2011, 6:13pm Anchor
Sigma wrote:Now, when you overload the game with mods, the game starts to get more fun. But the vanilla game? Finished it once, never again :p
And there is no denying skyrim looks nice, but pretty games can still be bad (naaah :p)

See -- The Force Unleashed II.

Jul 16 2011, 6:18pm Anchor

Yeah...I'm so glad I didn't buy that game. I borrowed the wii version from the library...

Basically, it was like this:

Step 1: Watch a cutscene.

Step 2: Repeatedly click A, until everyone in the room is dead.

Step 3: Wait for reinforcements.

Step 4: Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 5 times.

Step 5: Wait for elevator door to open.

Step 6: Go into the elevator, and leave to the next room.

Step 7: Repeat the process until you reach the end.

I don't know if the PC version was that bad, but the wii version was practically unbearable. I mean, they didn't even let you fight the boss fights! It just skipped strait to the finishing moves.

Jul 16 2011, 6:31pm Anchor

Only one game I can think of that I regret buying.

And that game is called "Pharaoh."
Worst. Purchase. Ever.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Jul 16 2011, 7:59pm Anchor
Quote:I don't know if the PC version was that bad, but the wii version was practically unbearable. I mean, they didn't even let you fight the boss fights! It just skipped strait to the finishing moves.

Personally, if a game is out for other consoles I tend to pick those versions over the Wii. Normal ports just struck me as being few and far between.

Jul 16 2011, 8:01pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:Personally, if a game is out for other consoles I tend to pick those versions over the Wii. Normal ports just struck me as being few and far between.

Given the choice, I would have chosen PC, but it was from the library, and all they had was wii and Xbox(I don't own an Xbox).

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Jul 16 2011, 8:57pm Anchor

Libraries have games now?

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 16 2011, 9:26pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:Libraries have games now?

Some. Usually they are very... random though. And apparently the library system is sporadic at best in funding for new ones.

As to getting games on console over others...

the original TFU actually -could- have been great on the Wii. What they needed to do, though, was have like 2 more years to polish it and a beta test so people would explain to them how annoying Raxus Prime and Felucia were (granted, that seems to somewhat be a feature in all versions of the game). TFU II for the Wii, ironically, adds more powers (force sight, force rage, -and- mindtrick. where as, from what I understand, the PS3/PC/X360 versions only get the last one in that list).

As to get a TFU game on PC...

I have the originally. It stopped working the -second- I had a Win 7 machine. Ironically, as with several other games -- they ran better for me on Vista than Windows 7 (I dunno, but I seem to just be "lucky" that way).

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jul 16 2011, 9:27pm Anchor

It's called a Ludothek.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 16 2011, 10:34pm Anchor
Dragonlord wrote:It's called a Ludothek.

Pardon?

When I pronounce that it almost sounds like sneezing a russian word.

Jul 17 2011, 1:08am Anchor

So games I've regretted purchasing... People will hate me for this one. :D

CALL OF DUTY 2: BIG RED ONE
Being a die hard fan of First Person Shooters and WW2 since I was 4 (Fell in love with Wolf3D back in '92) makes me pretty biased to liking the game... The bloody violence is pretty low, storyline's mostly "Hey! Let's go here, and get shot at by Nazis... They're bad guys!" I honestly felt like there was no real point to the story unlike MOH and MOHU where each mission is from the OSA to help the war effort from sabotaging rail guns to blowing up a mustard gas facility, I had more of a feeling of "I have to win." COD was a big letdown for me and to this day not a fan of the COD series... The multiplayer is okay but really, pretty much every FPS nowadays has multiplayer.

GRAND THEFT AUTO 4
Being a fan of San Andreas and seeing all the stuff you could do from working out to getting haircuts made me stoked to buy GTA4. I wanted to make myself like Dolph Lundgren from Rocky 4 and was very letdown that they took the majority of customization from the previous game out of the new one. I felt like the game seriously took 2 steps backward and I was playing GTA3 again with a few new features like dating, I was pissed. Luckily Saint's Row 2 was released and I was able to sell GTA4 for the same amount of SR2... And that made me happy.

DEAD SPACE
I was actually told by a friend that I'd love this game as I loved Resident Evil... Yeah, the game is creepy but got kinda annoying. The first chapter I thought the game was cool but after that I just felt like I was playing a clone of Resident Evil. I still played the game though, found it a little enjoyable and then I got to this one level, don't remember which exactly, but there's this alien you can't kill! Here I am shooting at him constantly trying to fight him off and I get a radio call "I unlocked the door"... Well isn't that battle a little pointless! So I left, killed some beasties, picked up an item, now some psycho-religious guy turns off the oxygen and I have to go back to that room with Mr. Invincible! Tried a few times to get passed it but I'm just like "Done! Can't stand this game!" I kinda felt like one of those kids from the GameFly commercials that bought bad games and tossed their TVs out the window... Wasn't as stupid though. :D lol

FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS
... I really can't say the game is all that bad, but it feels a bit more like a Fallout 3 mod than a new game. Bought it as I love Oblivion and Fallout 3, but was disappointed with how you have open ended gameplay but going to New Vegas the quick way is full of the really tough creatures and it's a pain to get by them. It's like the developers purposely wanted to laugh and say "You have to take the long way! Haha!" And you know, this wouldn't normally bother me but sometimes these creatures get into the town I started off in and kill me when my EXP level is still at 1. This isn't even on the hardcore difficulty but normal that this also happens. I dunno, maybe it's just a glitch or something but still a lame one at that.

There's a few others but can't think of them at the moment. Still I think I've given quite a bit of input on the matter.

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Jul 17 2011, 4:50am Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:I don't know if the PC version was that bad,

Same gameplay, horrible unoptimized port :p says enough xD

--

°w°

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jul 17 2011, 9:48am Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:It's called a Ludothek.

Pardon?

When I pronounce that it almost sounds like sneezing a russian word.


De.wikipedia.org . No idea how this is named in English though. Hoped it's the same word as it's derived from Latin.

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Jul 17 2011, 10:04am Anchor

Ludothek = Toy library some sort :p
The glory of language switching on wikipedia xD

--

°w°

Jul 17 2011, 10:19am Anchor
madwolf555 wrote:
DEAD SPACE
I was actually told by a friend that I'd love this game as I loved Resident Evil... Yeah, the game is creepy but got kinda annoying. The first chapter I thought the game was cool but after that I just felt like I was playing a clone of Resident Evil. I still played the game though, found it a little enjoyable and then I got to this one level, don't remember which exactly, but there's this alien you can't kill! Here I am shooting at him constantly trying to fight him off and I get a radio call "I unlocked the door"... Well isn't that battle a little pointless! So I left, killed some beasties, picked up an item, now some psycho-religious guy turns off the oxygen and I have to go back to that room with Mr. Invincible! Tried a few times to get passed it but I'm just like "Done! Can't stand this game!" I kinda felt like one of those kids from the GameFly commercials that bought bad games and tossed their TVs out the window... Wasn't as stupid though. :D lol.

All you gotta do is stasis him and run past him by shooting his arms or legs till they explode ONCE, but I'm sure you know that by now. Then Find the Engine room, stasis him when hes behind the ship and run the the engine room and bamn hes dead. Or if its where you need to cryofreeze him do the same thing.  Yeah and of course the game reminded me of Resident Evil but it was still its own great game.

   For me it was Clear Sky. Love the other two in to series and loved this one also but if I knew it was going to bug me and crash me to hell to where I can't even finish the game then no thanks.

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Jul 17 2011, 10:58am Anchor

Actually, i have the first 2 stalker games, and everyone complains about crashes, never had one :p
Well maybe some here and there, but my computer at that time was on the edge of the minimum requirements xD
Same thing with dark messiah of might and magic, people complained about the boatload of bugs, didn't really found any except the occasional physics glitch :p

--

°w°

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 17 2011, 12:02pm Anchor
Someone wrote:
DEAD SPACE
I was actually told by a friend that I'd love this game as I loved Resident Evil... Yeah, the game is creepy but got kinda annoying. The first chapter I thought the game was cool but after that I just felt like I was playing a clone of Resident Evil. I still played the game though, found it a little enjoyable and then I got to this one level, don't remember which exactly, but there's this alien you can't kill! Here I am shooting at him constantly trying to fight him off and I get a radio call "I unlocked the door"... Well isn't that battle a little pointless! So I left, killed some beasties, picked up an item, now some psycho-religious guy turns off the oxygen and I have to go back to that room with Mr. Invincible! Tried a few times to get passed it but I'm just like "Done! Can't stand this game!" I kinda felt like one of those kids from the GameFly commercials that bought bad games and tossed their TVs out the window... Wasn't as stupid though. :D lol

...I believe you missed the point of the game/fight (it's not meant to be "better" than Resident Evil. It's meant for those of us who want that type of gameplay coming from someone other than Capcom). The reason the one boss beast cannot be directly killed is because that "psycho-religious guy" turned the Necromorph healing factor up to 11. There are two ways to kill him, and you do both (I frankly loved both ways, because they involved pulling off a cool stunt of forward thinking) in the course of the game. Yes, fighting him seems pointless -- but if you take out his legs, and just leave him that way, and keep using stasis on him -- then he barely moves. You can run away easily. It's meant to be a chase sequence.

I also seem to (from my understanding of Resident Evil) understand that Resident Evil doesn't make you waste half of your ammo if you aren't smart enough to cut off the limbs and head of your opponent. The air being shut off is a great way to build up tension, as were the zero-G moments. The only thing I can honestly complain about in Deadspace (aside from Kendra's insecant need to whine about every new twist in the game's plot) is the turret segment. That first one with the asteroids.... is damn near impossible to beat unless you study it like a textbook.

Jul 17 2011, 12:15pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
Someone wrote:
DEAD SPACE
I was actually told by a friend that I'd love this game as I loved Resident Evil... Yeah, the game is creepy but got kinda annoying. The first chapter I thought the game was cool but after that I just felt like I was playing a clone of Resident Evil. I still played the game though, found it a little enjoyable and then I got to this one level, don't remember which exactly, but there's this alien you can't kill! Here I am shooting at him constantly trying to fight him off and I get a radio call "I unlocked the door"... Well isn't that battle a little pointless! So I left, killed some beasties, picked up an item, now some psycho-religious guy turns off the oxygen and I have to go back to that room with Mr. Invincible! Tried a few times to get passed it but I'm just like "Done! Can't stand this game!" I kinda felt like one of those kids from the GameFly commercials that bought bad games and tossed their TVs out the window... Wasn't as stupid though. :D lol

...I believe you missed the point of the game/fight (it's not meant to be "better" than Resident Evil. It's meant for those of us who want that type of gameplay coming from someone other than Capcom). The reason the one boss beast cannot be directly killed is because that "psycho-religious guy" turned the Necromorph healing factor up to 11. There are two ways to kill him, and you do both (I frankly loved both ways, because they involved pulling off a cool stunt of forward thinking) in the course of the game. Yes, fighting him seems pointless -- but if you take out his legs, and just leave him that way, and keep using stasis on him -- then he barely moves. You can run away easily. It's meant to be a chase sequence.

I also seem to (from my understanding of Resident Evil) understand that Resident Evil doesn't make you waste half of your ammo if you aren't smart enough to cut off the limbs and head of your opponent. The air being shut off is a great way to build up tension, as were the zero-G moments. The only thing I can honestly complain about in Deadspace (aside from Kendra's insecant need to whine about every new twist in the game's plot) is the turret segment. That first one with the asteroids.... is damn near impossible to beat unless you study it like a textbook.


Really? I'd admit that it was hard since the controls on the PC were a bit mediocre but I've never lost to the asteroids destroying the ship even after beating the game 3 times. Loved the whole game and scared to me Sh*ts because I always played it at night alone.

  Also another game I "Regretted" buying was Shadow Of Colossus. I couldn't figure out how the damn game worked, and where to fight the bosses so I gave up on it and was pissed that I spent 20$ on it. But then about a year later I sold it to a friend for 5$ dollar, and now sadly I hear it is one of the best games ever to come out on a console. Maybe not the best but one of the most innovating I guess I should say.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 17 2011, 12:49pm Anchor
Icedecknight wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
Someone wrote:
DEAD SPACE
I was actually told by a friend that I'd love this game as I loved Resident Evil... Yeah, the game is creepy but got kinda annoying. The first chapter I thought the game was cool but after that I just felt like I was playing a clone of Resident Evil. I still played the game though, found it a little enjoyable and then I got to this one level, don't remember which exactly, but there's this alien you can't kill! Here I am shooting at him constantly trying to fight him off and I get a radio call "I unlocked the door"... Well isn't that battle a little pointless! So I left, killed some beasties, picked up an item, now some psycho-religious guy turns off the oxygen and I have to go back to that room with Mr. Invincible! Tried a few times to get passed it but I'm just like "Done! Can't stand this game!" I kinda felt like one of those kids from the GameFly commercials that bought bad games and tossed their TVs out the window... Wasn't as stupid though. :D lol

...I believe you missed the point of the game/fight (it's not meant to be "better" than Resident Evil. It's meant for those of us who want that type of gameplay coming from someone other than Capcom). The reason the one boss beast cannot be directly killed is because that "psycho-religious guy" turned the Necromorph healing factor up to 11. There are two ways to kill him, and you do both (I frankly loved both ways, because they involved pulling off a cool stunt of forward thinking) in the course of the game. Yes, fighting him seems pointless -- but if you take out his legs, and just leave him that way, and keep using stasis on him -- then he barely moves. You can run away easily. It's meant to be a chase sequence.

I also seem to (from my understanding of Resident Evil) understand that Resident Evil doesn't make you waste half of your ammo if you aren't smart enough to cut off the limbs and head of your opponent. The air being shut off is a great way to build up tension, as were the zero-G moments. The only thing I can honestly complain about in Deadspace (aside from Kendra's insecant need to whine about every new twist in the game's plot) is the turret segment. That first one with the asteroids.... is damn near impossible to beat unless you study it like a textbook.


Really? I'd admit that it was hard since the controls on the PC were a bit mediocre but I've never lost to the asteroids destroying the ship even after beating the game 3 times. Loved the whole game and scared to me Sh*ts because I always played it at night alone.

  Also another game I "Regretted" buying was Shadow Of Colossus. I couldn't figure out how the damn game worked, and where to fight the bosses so I gave up on it and was pissed that I spent 20$ on it. But then about a year later I sold it to a friend for 5$ dollar, and now sadly I hear it is one of the best games ever to come out on a console. Maybe not the best but one of the most innovating I guess I should say.


Debating on trying that one. I understand it's more of an emotional tale / epic boss fighting sort of game. Also a very twisted ending that you don't see coming.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jul 17 2011, 2:59pm Anchor
Sigma wrote:Actually, i have the first 2 stalker games, and everyone complains about crashes, never had one :p
Well maybe some here and there, but my computer at that time was on the edge of the minimum requirements xD
Same thing with dark messiah of might and magic, people complained about the boatload of bugs, didn't really found any except the occasional physics glitch :p

To be fair Stalker-CS really did crash a lot if you did certain things... like level changing for example. Out of the 3 Stalker games CS is the most crashy, SoC the second (maybe once or twice if you are unlucky) followed by CoP which so far crashed only once for me and there I'm not even sure if it had not been my graphic card driver giving me the finger. But as much as the crashing is annoying the patches fixed most problems and the rest did mods. While annoying at times it did not degrade the atmosphere the games had to offer. Still a good game series... especially with some of the mods there applied to get the most out of it.

Edited by: Dragonlord

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Jul 17 2011, 3:01pm Anchor

I've only played the first Stalker game, and it only had two crash points. Both happened when I tried to quicksave in certain spots.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jul 18 2011, 5:27am Anchor

The first Stalker was so hideously buggy when it released that it was unplayable. It took me about two hours to get the game running, then I never got past the first encounter with enemies before the game crashed - and tried it a few times.

Never touched any of the sequels.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.