Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
Games you regret buying (Forums : Cosmos : Games you regret buying) Post Reply
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 14 2011, 11:47pm Anchor
Lt_Commander_Chris wrote:Spore probably has to be the one. I wait in eager anticipation of the day that someone actually produces a game along the same lines that is grittier, actually STRATEGY and not prancing around like a fairy and encompasses some demanding gameplay and complexity. I suppose asking for an in-depth, timeline spanning RTS/RPG mix was too much to ask, but it's basically The Sims except you die more. *chunder*.

Now, if someone takes the theme and makes it into a proper strategy-filled game - where your designs affect functionality, you control the development of a civilisation that doesn't advance by bringing a fruit to another town and is a fully developed and challenging game, I would be so very happy. Starting with an RPG for your species, developing into an RTS/RPG mix with full-on gritty war, diplomacy and economics all the way into space is surely the ideal model for a game, but instead we got a sandbox for kids to play in.

And they prevented us modding it into something half-decent.


Forgive me --

For while as well as I agree with the idea of a grittier, more in-depth game. I find the idea of modifying a game where the main focus is -customization- to be a bit redundant, and perhaps in a strange way, ironic.

MrMattWebb
MrMattWebb The forums are a karma-free zone.
Jun 15 2011, 1:38am Anchor

the new need for speed hot pursuit and medal of honor. waste of monies.

Jun 15 2011, 2:46am Anchor

i wish i could say i didnt regret this game but it was the worst £1 i ever spent.

i bought a game called kreed it looked kinda like halo on the back of the case maybe a mix of halos gameplay with doom style monsters and i thought well its only £1 why not i then got home tried to install to find out the disk had never been burnt the disk had its logo printed on and a cd key on the back of the manual just zero on the disk.

also like others brink so far is my biggest disapointment. when i saw it at eurogamer convention in 2008 i was ready to sell my 1st born to have it and with each preview was more excited then when it finally went in my xbox i died a little inside but had to pretend to my GF that i loved it cause she bought it for me lol

--

Moddb.com << A 1st person survival action horror rpg?!?

Mod DB - Game Mod Manager
Mod DB - Game Mapper
Mod DB - 3D Game Modeller

Jun 15 2011, 5:03am Anchor
stocko2k wrote:i wish i could say i didnt regret this game but it was the worst £1 i ever spent.

i bought a game called kreed it looked kinda like halo on the back of the case maybe a mix of halos gameplay with doom style monsters and i thought well its only £1 why not i then got home tried to install to find out the disk had never been burnt the disk had its logo printed on and a cd key on the back of the manual just zero on the disk.

also like others brink so far is my biggest disapointment. when i saw it at eurogamer convention in 2008 i was ready to sell my 1st born to have it and with each preview was more excited then when it finally went in my xbox i died a little inside but had to pretend to my GF that i loved it cause she bought it for me lol



I've got that, same price, still unopened. Also some tomb raider/spliter cell knock off called K hawk.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 15 2011, 10:31am Anchor
stocko2k wrote:i wish i could say i didnt regret this game but it was the worst £1 i ever spent.

i bought a game called kreed it looked kinda like halo on the back of the case maybe a mix of halos gameplay with doom style monsters and i thought well its only £1 why not i then got home tried to install to find out the disk had never been burnt the disk had its logo printed on and a cd key on the back of the manual just zero on the disk.

also like others brink so far is my biggest disapointment. when i saw it at eurogamer convention in 2008 i was ready to sell my 1st born to have it and with each preview was more excited then when it finally went in my xbox i died a little inside but had to pretend to my GF that i loved it cause she bought it for me lol



I didn't have -exactly- the same problem, but I spent 10 bucks on a Jewel Case for Supreme Commander, and then whenever I tried to play it after install, it claimed I hadn't put disc one in, and thus I could NEVER play the game.

Jun 15 2011, 11:54am Anchor

Jedi Academy was ace! Probably ne of the only games that made being a Jedi fun, instead of a mind-cripplingly messy jump-a-thon.

My nomination would have to be for Fable 3. Still not got round to completing it. You know when you're waiting for a game to hook you, but it just never does? Heartbreaking.

Anyway, I've got LoveFilm now so don't have to worry about this problem anymore!

Jun 15 2011, 1:27pm Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:
Lt_Commander_Chris wrote:Spore probably has to be the one. I wait in eager anticipation of the day that someone actually produces a game along the same lines that is grittier, actually STRATEGY and not prancing around like a fairy and encompasses some demanding gameplay and complexity. I suppose asking for an in-depth, timeline spanning RTS/RPG mix was too much to ask, but it's basically The Sims except you die more. *chunder*.

Now, if someone takes the theme and makes it into a proper strategy-filled game - where your designs affect functionality, you control the development of a civilisation that doesn't advance by bringing a fruit to another town and is a fully developed and challenging game, I would be so very happy. Starting with an RPG for your species, developing into an RTS/RPG mix with full-on gritty war, diplomacy and economics all the way into space is surely the ideal model for a game, but instead we got a sandbox for kids to play in.

And they prevented us modding it into something half-decent.


Forgive me --

For while as well as I agree with the idea of a grittier, more in-depth game. I find the idea of modifying a game where the main focus is -customization- to be a bit redundant, and perhaps in a strange way, ironic.



I meant modifying it to change the gameplay, of course.

--

Trust me - I'm the Doctor. Almost. I wear bow ties, that'll have to be good enough.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 15 2011, 6:13pm Anchor
StauntonLick wrote:Jedi Academy was ace! Probably ne of the only games that made being a Jedi fun, instead of a mind-cripplingly messy jump-a-thon.

My nomination would have to be for Fable 3. Still not got round to completing it. You know when you're waiting for a game to hook you, but it just never does? Heartbreaking.

Anyway, I've got LoveFilm now so don't have to worry about this problem anymore!



I say merely this. JKA is useful to me, as a $5 dollar paperweight and cup holder :).

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jun 15 2011, 7:02pm Anchor

That's an expensive paperweight there :D

--

User Posted Image
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

User Posted Image by Salohcin

Jun 15 2011, 7:04pm Anchor

I don't regret buying that game. Sure, the storyline and characters sucked, but it's pretty easy to mod for, compared to some games.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Jun 15 2011, 7:25pm Anchor

The only thing I regret about JKA is that the jewel case was accidentally stepped on, cracking it along with one of the game discs. I was foolish enough to try it, it worked for a while and then shattered in my cd drive the very day the game's warranty expired (the very minute even; I remember Samurai Jack coming on which was the same time the store would have been closing). I still had all the game files installed so I was able to download and trick the demo into accessing the full game content, but I was never able to use it for multiplayer. 

I almost regret ArmA2, seeing how they announced a free version just a few weeks after I purchased it. But it was cheap and still has things the free version wont (like a campaign and mod support), so I guess I can't regret that.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 15 2011, 7:35pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:The only thing I regret about JKA is that the jewel case was accidentally stepped on, cracking it along with one of the game discs. I was foolish enough to try it, it worked for a while and then shattered in my cd drive the very day the game's warranty expired (the very minute even; I remember Samurai Jack coming on which was the same time the store would have been closing). I still had all the game files installed so I was able to download and trick the demo into accessing the full game content, but I was never able to use it for multiplayer. 


Neat trick, actually. Pity that they never released a multiplayer demo then.

GarynDakari wrote:I don't regret buying that game. Sure, the storyline and characters sucked, but it's pretty easy to mod for, compared to some games.

I've spoken to a friend who sometimes I have to fight to get him to stop modding things...

he told me the level editor is weird as heck.

Dragonlord wrote:That's an expensive paperweight there :D


Oh, not as much as Supreme Commander ($10 for a game that won't even play!).

At least JO had a campaign I found semi-interesting (with the Darkness mod, it's downright entertaining).

Jun 15 2011, 7:53pm Anchor

Lol, the Darkness mod was awesome, especially the bartender scene :) I'm doing a mod that does something similar, 'cept it's for JKA.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 15 2011, 11:29pm Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:Lol, the Darkness mod was awesome, especially the bartender scene :) I'm doing a mod that does something similar, 'cept it's for JKA.


Please tell me it involves Kyle Katarn making more jokes about the horrible level designs (that was my favorite line from JKA, when you get trapped on an Imperial ship. Heck, Kyle is downright hillarious how much he tries to break the 4th wall over silly things in the game. "Kyle, I'm sending you and Jaden to Vjun" -- Luke. "Yeah, you would do that, wouldn't you?" -- Kyle).

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Jun 15 2011, 11:43pm Anchor

I think this is your real problem with the levels:

Jun 16 2011, 12:28am Anchor
Paradigmthefallen wrote:Please tell me it involves Kyle Katarn making more jokes about the horrible level designs (that was my favorite line from JKA, when you get trapped on an Imperial ship. Heck, Kyle is downright hillarious how much he tries to break the 4th wall over silly things in the game. "Kyle, I'm sending you and Jaden to Vjun" -- Luke. "Yeah, you would do that, wouldn't you?" -- Kyle).

Actually, it involves Kyle getting stranded on a beach ;)

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 16 2011, 1:31am Anchor
GarynDakari wrote:
Paradigmthefallen wrote:Please tell me it involves Kyle Katarn making more jokes about the horrible level designs (that was my favorite line from JKA, when you get trapped on an Imperial ship. Heck, Kyle is downright hillarious how much he tries to break the 4th wall over silly things in the game. "Kyle, I'm sending you and Jaden to Vjun" -- Luke. "Yeah, you would do that, wouldn't you?" -- Kyle).

Actually, it involves Kyle getting stranded on a beach ;)



Ah, good. He could stand to have a vacation. I mean, it's not like he had to survive a cult of dark Jedi, Rosh Penin, a crazed flower girl (we're looking at you, JK2 era Tavion), a lizard man, thousands of imperial idiots, Rosh Penin, Luke Skywalker, Jaden Korr and...

...did I mention Rosh Penin? He's like the human Jar-Jar... it's disturbing. and I want to just cut off his hair... it is... just... gah!

Jun 16 2011, 1:35am Anchor

Remember how he died in one ending? Well, in my version he dies either way. If you let him live, the guy you hand him to just drops him and leaves. Then some other guy charges in and brutally interrogates him(He still thinks he's with Tavion :P ). Off topic though :D

DragonNOR
DragonNOR Voice Actor
Jun 16 2011, 7:29am Anchor

I regret buying the Strategy First pack on steam. Out of the twenty or so games you'd think there would be at least one or two good ones. And of course there's the entire library of games belonging to City Interactive.

Apart from those publishers there's Red Alert 3, Command and Conquer 4, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Fallen Earth and Prison Tycoon 3: Lockdown.

--

My VA Showreel:
Youtube.com

My VA Website:
Ssydtangen.wix.com

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 16 2011, 10:05am Anchor
DragonNOR wrote:I regret buying the Strategy First pack on steam. Out of the twenty or so games you'd think there would be at least one or two good ones. And of course there's the entire library of games belonging to City Interactive.

Apart from those publishers there's Red Alert 3, Command and Conquer 4, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Fallen Earth and Prison Tycoon 3: Lockdown.


I hope you aren't counting Europea: Universalis amongst that pack as being "bad". I enjoyed that game even when I didn't fully understand all the concepts. I'd go back to that game and try playing it again, frankly.

Paradox Interactive was heavily involved with Strategy First as well. They have a habit of producing titles that fill specific niches (such as Lead & Gold: Gangs of the Old West).

Speaking of downloadable titles, there's one game I sort of regret buying (because I find the multiplayer frustrating). Section 8. The free demo shows the game at its best... and really... fighting bots is the best mode possible. The multiplayer is similar to Red Faction: Guerilla's multi --- you either love it and are good, or hate it and repeatedly get killed by people who bought the game on launch.

I'd prefer Section 8's class customization power in Battlefront 2, frankly.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jun 16 2011, 10:29am Anchor

Hearts of Iron was pretty good. The issue with Strategy First is their extremely dodgy business practices.

DragonNOR
DragonNOR Voice Actor
Jun 16 2011, 1:16pm Anchor

@Paradigm: No none of those games were part of the package I bought, might be they bundled up their shittiest games he he. The games in the pack were mostly comprised of really bad simulation games like Iron Warrior and several submarine sims, a couple of adventure games and some strategy games. But thats what you might get if you go for something you haven't heard anything about I guess :)

--

My VA Showreel:
Youtube.com

My VA Website:
Ssydtangen.wix.com

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jun 16 2011, 1:43pm Anchor
DragonNOR wrote:@Paradigm: No none of those games were part of the package I bought, might be they bundled up their shittiest games he he. The games in the pack were mostly comprised of really bad simulation games like Iron Warrior and several submarine sims, a couple of adventure games and some strategy games. But thats what you might get if you go for something you haven't heard anything about I guess :)


Look on the brightside.

You didn't buy a kriffing tractor simulator.

I honestly sometimes don't get why games like that are such a hot commodity in places like Germany. I realize they're strict on violence in games... but really? I just don't get it.

Jul 3 2011, 7:04pm Anchor
StauntonLick wrote:My nomination would have to be for Fable 3. Still not got round to completing it. You know when you're waiting for a game to hook you, but it just never does? Heartbreaking.

Molyneux cant' get it right. I got the same feeling with Fable 3, and some with 2. (I thought I read somewhere that you worked with Lionhead on the first one? Maybe its because they didn't have you ;)).

Cubex_mods wrote:Brink

Its not a terrible game, rather one that has its issues and a boatload of potential. I might buy it if they improve the system later on.

I don't regret buying any games, but I do regret selling some, namely Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which I sold for Fallout 3.

TheUnabridgedGamer
TheUnabridgedGamer It's been a long time...
Jul 4 2011, 12:17am Anchor
l0rdx3nu wrote:

Cubex_mods wrote:Brink

Its not a terrible game, rather one that has its issues and a boatload of potential. I might buy it if they improve the system later on.

I don't regret buying any games, but I do regret selling some, namely Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, which I sold for Fallout 3.


Aye. I don't see the point in trading in games. I buy a game, I keep it. I still have bloody Rebel Assault 1, and I plan to someday use something like DOS box to run it!

As to Brink.

I have hopes it'll improve. Honestly, I think making a map editor similar to the one in Time Splitters would improve the game's longevity, exponentially (in fact, that would make it ten times more innovative than most shooters these days, as it would both have a parkor system and a reasonable level editor for both PC and consoles).

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.