Forum Thread
by member
Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest (Forums : Contests : Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest) Locked
Thread Options 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 60
razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Dec 27 2008, 7:06pm Anchor

what category is that for snipergen ? :O looks coo nonetheless !

Snipergen
Snipergen Lvl Designer/Env Artist
Dec 27 2008, 7:42pm Anchor

Because there is no category that supports a normal level, I'll have to go with the WTF??! category. This saddens me. 
Well, it will be WTF is this map doing in this category :p or better: WTF this map is fun! (that's what I hope at least :p )

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Dec 27 2008, 10:29pm Anchor
razorb wrote:i am going to join in on the question bandwagon! say for instance i am working on a historical landmark and i choose the Taj Mahal for instance... does that mean no one else can do the same thing if i submit a finished version?

• The work submitted must be original (never before seen) and not a forgery. Forgery will result in immediate disqualification.

For example, if you create the Taj Mahal and another person also creates one but does not show any signs of development and it is exactly the same as yours (even if its a real world land mark chances are they will be different) we will be accepting the first posted one only (this is only in the case that two are the same).

Snipergen wrote:I would give money for a rain option! Well anyway, if I work tomorrow on it I think I can put an alpha online. I'm looking forward to that! Also, I'm gonna adapt the spawn system from Insurgency MOD, because I really hate it getting shot when you spawn in the custom maps...

it can be set to rain, its the storm option.

--

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
HotNirvanaJudoTrend Northern Avid Judo Ant
Dec 28 2008, 3:50am Anchor

oh okay i said "tomorrow" and not "next week" but i still have pictures!!!

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

I dont like shantytropolis as much as oasis crater valley though.

and even though i submitted shanty already, i learned later that i forgot to edit the bar near the ARP base so that you can actually, you know, stand behind the bar.

a few more crater valley screens:

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Snipergen wrote:Because there is no category that supports a normal level, I'll have to go with the WTF??! category. This saddens me. 
Well, it will be WTF is this map doing in this category :p or better: WTF this map is fun! (that's what I hope at least :p )

yeah tell me about it!!    i didnt even know they were holdign a competition when i began work on oasis crater valley, and didnt find out until i had already gotten all the basic layout and structures in.  when i read the rules i totally misinterpreted everything and wound up thinking there was a cash prize, but all that aside, i didnt understand the awards, i thought it was the usual tried and true

1 grand prise winner
3 runners up
huge number of correlation winners

then after i read the rules again and realized there were 3 grand prize winners, i felt a little defeated  lol   not because i thought i'd lose per se, in fact my chances just went up threefold, but upon reading the categories, i was left wanting more...    an "eden award" for best naturalistic map...   which was what oasis almost turned out to be, HOWEVER...    Oasis IS a WTF MAP! :D    it's got a few bits and pieces, not a whole lot, but they are very interesting areas that will make people wonder what the heck i was thinking when i put that there!

i want to send a picture of an easter egg, but at the same time, although i've shown 3 people this spot already, i want players to find it themselves...

but i have lots of easter eggs scattered about the map, and in a way some buildings are easter eggs unto themselves...

then again, i have always considered "survivors will be shot again" being added to no tresspassing signs to be a IRL easter egg   :P

--

I am Redundant Jovian Thor.
Misery loves company, so why aren't we all trying to be miserable and love each other?

Snipergen
Dec 28 2008, 6:50am Anchor

Well, I can't find the rain option O_o 

Henley
Dec 28 2008, 6:57am Anchor
Snipergen wrote:Well, I can't find the rain option O_o 

well its right under the tod option Moddb.com

--

Snipergen
Dec 28 2008, 7:58am Anchor

Nice tut Henley but when I max out that slider it just becomes cloudy, gray and windy, but not a drop of rain. Maybe this is a DX10 effect or what? I have a really crappy laptop, I guess that's why I don't see rain drops?

Dec 28 2008, 8:08am Anchor

I should have explained this to you earlier Sniper :P
The weather slider does not show rain inside of the editor
You will see rain inside the actual game however.

And it doesn't matter if you've got a desert rippled sand texture all over the map or a the thick jungle undergrowth texture, it will rain no matter what the environment is. Also the rain sound only plays in game as well, not in the editor.
Just turn the slider up to where you would think there would be rain and test it out in the actual game, rather than the editor. I did that with my water world map as there was no rain inside the editor, but went into the game and it was there. Perhaps it's an editor bug or something, or perhaps it's to do with performance...only ubisoft know what the deal is with that.

Edited by: Otreum

myles
myles Woah.
Dec 28 2008, 9:26am Anchor

Thought it would be dumb not to have a go,
Anyway a while messing around with the editor and for the "What The.." Category Iam going to have a valley that you can cruise around, on foot, in car, in boat or on a hangglider, It will be best suited for that CTF variant, the diamonds being in the middle on a small cliff, with bridges and water surrounding it.
Probably not so original, but should look nice enough and be fun =D

User Posted Image

Edited by: myles

Snipergen
Dec 28 2008, 9:33am Anchor

Ah I see, thanks Otrium, it's because I didn't publish a map yet. Storm slider is at 0.75 so I hope for some drops ingame :p

XaKu
XaKu XaKu
Dec 28 2008, 12:53pm Anchor

hey, im guna be having a go at making a map to. editor seems easy to use :) - just wanted to say hi to everyone heh

Dec 28 2008, 4:31pm Anchor

No worries Snipergen, it's always good to test different stages of development for your maps inside of the actual game itself to see what the final representation would look like to other people with the same or similar computer to yours.

Snipergen
Dec 28 2008, 6:11pm Anchor

A honka honka progress!!! Well tbh I only worked an hour on the map today, dammit I wanted to get an alpha online, but I didn't had the time. :(
And let's comment eachother guys come on!

Myles, looks fantastic so far, I'm looking forward to what you will bring :p

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
Dec 28 2008, 6:49pm Anchor
Snipergen wrote:Nice tut Henley but when I max out that slider it just becomes cloudy, gray and windy, but not a drop of rain. Maybe this is a DX10 effect or what? I have a really crappy laptop, I guess that's why I don't see rain drops?

Shading has to be at LEAST medium in order to see rain.

im low everything, no HDR or bloom, but i HAVE to have medium shading, low shadows (as opposed to off), and high texture...

it slows me down only a little, but it looks sweet! :D

Otreum wrote:I should have explained this to you earlier Sniper :P

And it doesn't matter if you've got a desert rippled sand texture all over the map or a the thick jungle undergrowth texture, it will rain no matter what the environment is. Also the rain sound only plays in game as well, not in the editor.
Just turn the slider up to where you would think there would be rain and test it out in the actual game, rather than the editor. I did that with my water world map as there was no rain inside the editor, but went into the game and it was there. Perhaps it's an editor bug or something, or perhaps it's to do with performance...only ubisoft know what the deal is with that.

or go to editor options and set your graphics quality from optimal to custom or medium. or whatever your computer can handle.

i only alter this to check weather effects and level appearance quality.

--

Misery loves company, so why aren't we all trying to be miserable and love each other?

Henley
Dec 28 2008, 7:08pm Anchor
Otreum wrote:I should have explained this to you earlier Sniper :P

You must be doing something different as I can see rain and hear rain when I make my maps.

--

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
Dec 28 2008, 7:14pm Anchor

doesnt anyone read my posts?????

lol fuckitall im going to go tinker with the map editer  :P

--

Jyffeh
Jyffeh I am arch jailbird scowl.
Dec 28 2008, 7:21pm Anchor
HotNirvanaJudoTrend wrote:doesnt anyone read my posts?????

lol fuckitall im going to go tinker with the map editer  :P

It would help if it wasn't 40 run-on sentences and !!!!!??????!!!-esque punctuation.

--

User Posted Image

Yak.RUS wrote:We had a girl in my school that took LCD and now she thinks shes a balloon for the rest of her life.
Snipergen
Dec 28 2008, 7:26pm Anchor

I bet this depends on your pc. Very High setting, no rain, proof: I42.tinypic.com

Edited by: Snipergen

Dec 28 2008, 7:51pm Anchor

Yeah, I changed from Optimal to Ultra and it doesn't have rain. I can sort of hear it, but maybe that's the wind.

It's just Overcast and strong winds to me.

Dec 28 2008, 9:17pm Anchor

It SOUNDS like there is rain when you have any environment texture that would have lots of trees, like thick jungle. It's just the flickery sound of leaves in the wind that's all.

As for the graphics settings HotNirvanaJudotrend.....
From what different people are saying and have said, it seems that for some of us, we aren't seeing any rain no matter what settings we have, and others have no problems with rain.
I don't have a poor system, I can play far cry 2 maxed out and smoothly except for a few minor slowdowns such as when repairing vehicles, so I don't think that it has much to do with our systems...

Can anybody who actually gets rain in the editor provide a screenshot, just to help clarify what might be going on (some of us get rain, some of us don't).

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
Dec 28 2008, 9:35pm Anchor
Otreum wrote:It SOUNDS like there is rain when you have any environment texture that would have lots of trees, like thick jungle. It's just the flickery sound of leaves in the wind that's all.

As for the graphics settings HotNirvanaJudotrend.....
From what different people are saying and have said, it seems that for some of us, we aren't seeing any rain no matter what settings we have, and others have no problems with rain.
I don't have a poor system, I can play far cry 2 maxed out and smoothly except for a few minor slowdowns such as when repairing vehicles, so I don't think that it has much to do with our systems...

Can anybody who actually gets rain in the editor provide a screenshot, just to help clarify what might be going on (some of us get rain, some of us don't).

yeah, i see that...    i guess it all depends on the system then...  maybe it's a card-editor compatibility issue?   hell if i know.

i've also noticed that i dont always get rain either...     i had it the other day, which is why i said that, but i ate my words today when i was toying with the rain on my next map, and couldnt see any... so i really cant say i have a clue what im talking about anymore! :D

--

Dec 28 2008, 9:52pm Anchor

Could just be a simple bug, that's all, hopefully a patch will fix it up. For me it hasn't been too detrimental to development...
And since you're now saying that it doesn't work for you, and you said that your system isn't all that high end. It's most probably got nothing to do with our systems. I have a high end, you presumable have a lower end to mid end, and we both are now having the same problem...I guess it's really up to ubisoft to sort it out.

It could be that ubisoft took out rain in the editor as it would make things much harder to see while making the map aswell, it would make sense, but why not enable rain when the map maker presses ctrl+g to go in game :S...blah! Ahwell.

*UPDATE*
Just thought i'd give you all a little teaser at my next map for the Real world Landmarks category.
User Posted Image

Edited by: Otreum

Dec 29 2008, 6:36am Anchor

Wow! That looks amazing, Otreum! The Colosseum I presume?

Anyway I've just finished my map, Acropolis del Norte, for the Real World Landmarks category. Here are some picture:

Comparison:
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Random:
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Hope you guys enjoy it! It's up on ModDB now. :D

Dec 29 2008, 7:03am Anchor

Good luck with your Colosseum/Arena.

Circular buildings are a pain to make.

Dec 29 2008, 7:18am Anchor

Invader, I liked your map, one of the better ones in this competition, keep it up mate ;)

Yes, circle buildings are horrible to make, especially when filling the gaps and trying to get the right angle, since the lowest preset angle is 5 degrees, so if you take off the preset angle and do a free rotate, it appears as though the lowest movement angle below that is 3 degrees, so I can never get the right angle I want when filling in the gaps, which is aweful, but It's still enough to work with.
Right now what you see is not final, and really only took about 2 hours to do. Tomorrow I should have more time to get some work done to do interiors and all the rest to get it finished and ready to play.
Unfortunately though, I am not able to fix up the performance on the map, you need a high end rig to play it smoothly on ultra settings. However on lower settings it should be fine.

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.