Forum Thread
by member
Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest (Forums : Contests : Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest) Locked
Thread Options 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60
Dec 26 2008, 5:55am Anchor

Hey guys,

I just joined moddb to enter the Map Contest.
Got a question: How do you test a map?
I mean i cant really test my map because i cant host games, the multiplayer doesnt work that good.
So how do you do it? :?

Sorry for my english, im Turkish.
Hope its not that bad.     :)

Snipergen
Snipergen Lvl Designer/Env Artist
Dec 26 2008, 6:11am Anchor

I'm a little lost here. Let's say I'm creating a map with original layout in an african setting, LIKE far cry 2, THATS what the props are ment to be used for. So yes I am against making an urban new york city map if I don't have the props for it. I read level design contest, that's what I'm doing, creating a level design and actually map it in the same setting of FC2. We don't have an sdk so we can't push the limits of the engine. (and for that 30 days is too short but that's besides)
So, for an original map in a savanna/urban african village setting that doesn't exist anywhere, what category fits me best?  

PS: I also thought we had to make a map from scratch for this contest as I read in the rules "The work submitted must be original (never before seen) " so yeah (now I have two half finished maps :p )

Avecess that looks great man, I'm impressed how good you managed to use the props.

Edited by: Snipergen

Dec 26 2008, 8:16am Anchor

Not sure what you mean there Snipergen...

There are 3 categories as explained already.
the WHAT THE!? category for the wierd and wonderful maps
the Nostalgia category to recreate old school game maps or something that reminds us of nostalgic games.
the Landmark category where we recreate a landmark, whether it be outside of africa or not.

You are also correct that we have to map a map from scratch, no other way to do the maps ;)

Anyway...moving on.
Bomb-omb battlefield just got a small and most probably final fix. It was an area that I had noted but thought I fixed due to the angle at which I looked at the problem, but then when running through the map again, I noticed there was a fairly obvious problem where I was meant to do the fix, so that's done now, just awaiting authorization again.

Also, Ultra tank got a bit of a fix up aswell. I added a cover cliff to the UFLL side to prevent mortar fire bombarding the UFLL vehicles in the spawn as well as the actual spawn points.
Also tried to optimize the tank a bit more as I had a rather large object which I used on the inside of the tank as a base object to work off, and I had left it inside of the tank :P It was a barge. The performance doesn't seem to have gotten much better though unfortunately.
I also fixed up some issues with floating sand bags in the uprising game mode. The sandbags that are out amongst the rocks in the open desert area were fixed up.

So the Super mario 64 bomb-omb battlefield and Ultra tank maps are now awaiting re-authorization, the changes are not major changes, so unless you find the minor things that I fixed up to be annoying or a reminder of bad bug testing, then you should be fine with the versions you have.

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Dec 26 2008, 8:31am Anchor
Wizzle4k wrote:Hey guys,

I just joined moddb to enter the Map Contest.
Got a question: How do you test a map?
I mean i cant really test my map because i cant host games, the multiplayer doesnt work that good.
So how do you do it? :?

Sorry for my english, im Turkish.
Hope its not that bad.     :)

you press CTRL + G

Snipergen wrote:I'm a little lost here. Let's say I'm creating a map with original layout in an african setting, LIKE far cry 2, THATS what the props are ment to be used for. So yes I am against making an urban new york city map if I don't have the props for it. I read level design contest, that's what I'm doing, creating a level design and actually map it in the same setting of FC2. We don't have an sdk so we can't push the limits of the engine. (and for that 30 days is too short but that's besides)
So, for an original map in a savanna/urban african village setting that doesn't exist anywhere, what category fits me best?  

PS: I also thought we had to make a map from scratch for this contest as I read in the rules "The work submitted must be original (never before seen) " so yeah (now I have two half finished maps :p )

Avecess that looks great man, I'm impressed how good you managed to use the props.

process of elimination mate, its not based on a game, its not based on a real world landmark so the what the is possibly the best choice. Keep in mind if its just a map there is nothing special about that. And who says you cannot re-make new york just with what you have? Thats the whole idea of that category.

--

Dec 26 2008, 9:05am Anchor
Someone wrote:you press CTRL + G

-_-
I know that I can test it in the editor.

Im talking about a test with more players, because i want to see if the map is good and balanced.

Dec 26 2008, 11:04am Anchor

zahlenbechk wrote:Wow 220 hours; you must really want to kill the people who work there. :P 

Haha! Rather the opposite, I really always loved the layout of the place and have wanted to make a replica for the longest time.  Ever since I touched the Dunia Editor I knew that this was it, I could finally do it.

On another note, just to clear some stuff up, I was about 60% done this map when I started getting lazy.

The day the contest was announced I worked my butt off to complete it and polish it up to enter.

If it were not for this contest I might not have finished, gave me real motivation. :)

Edited by: avecess

Snipergen
Dec 26 2008, 12:00pm Anchor

Allright the WTF?! category it is than, although there won't be much WTF-ing going on. REALISM, BEAUTY, FUN, that's what I want in games and maps. You see, I'm a purist, I dislike orange mappers or people that use hl2 textures for tf2maps ;)

Anyway progress (it's so hard to get a good screenshot, you can't really capture everything in a nice pic), oh and I mapped with sunny weather this time, but after a while your eyes start to hurt.
Also, keep flaming with the flame thrower, after 1 minute it goes from brand new to rusted and dirty until it breaks. Awesome shader but what the hell??? :D

Screenie

Dec 26 2008, 8:55pm Anchor
The Reel Room
Created and Submitted for the "What The?!" Award

OMG, the Reel Room is flooding, and the doors have sealed shut!
The rescue plane on the roof only has one more seat and will be taking off soon!
It's ‘dog eat dog’ now, and only the fittest will survive. 
Find a way to the roof at all costs; eliminate those in your way!
(8 man DM - 4v4/5v5 TDM)
Be the first to survive the journey to the roof and you'll be victorious!

----------
Key Notes
----------

This map's theme is optimal for a fast pasted 8 man (or less) Deathmatch.
Working your way to the roof, while watching out for all the bullets, is rather tricky. There will be people plummeting to their deaths, oh yes. :devil:

The Reel Room can also be played as an 4v4/5v5 Team Deathmatch.

There are a total of 6 ammo piles scattered around the map, (balanced for teams)

Explosives are strategically placed on the higher levels.

--------------
Hints and Tips
--------------

- use water to obscure your enemies view as you sneak about!
- Height isn't always a good thing. Snipers beware! Camp on the roof and you'll get a face full of fire!

Thank you for playing!

Avecess.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

zahlenbechk
zahlenbechk Superhuman Mediocrity
Dec 26 2008, 9:01pm Anchor

Looks good; some really crafty level design, and the little story synopsis always helps.  One thing though and you are probably going to think I am a moron; what exactly is a 'reel room'?
My first guess would be a projector room in a theater, but [this map] doesn't really resemble that.

Edited by: zahlenbechk

Dec 26 2008, 9:23pm Anchor

Haha, no problem Zahlenbechk.
A reel room is what people call the lowest level of a printing press facility.  It takes in enormous amounts of paper reels.
That map is my twisted version of one. XD

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Dec 26 2008, 9:39pm Anchor

heh u finished another already  ?:P damn i am still on same one.. not been working on it all time coz it gets real frustrating trying to make something look good without just making whats allready in fc2 : > but yea im still goin at it! will post pics once its done ..

good work everyone! keep it up :D

Dec 26 2008, 10:43pm Anchor

I thought it was like a Boiler room...a massive boiler room.

Still looks good nonetheless.

Edited by: Grimezy15

zahlenbechk
Dec 27 2008, 3:37am Anchor

I just have a quick question about the time of day, and weather aspect of a level; specifically, is it in anyway wrong to have a level that was basically designed to look pretty in a certain tod/weather mode, but looks significantly worse in other tod/weather modes?   Example: If you had a tod, or weather effect that compliments your intended viewable landscape making it look perfect [hypothetically], and for what ever reason [your level] looks appalling in another tod/weather mode could that be a legitimate degrading factor of the quality of that map?

Edited by: zahlenbechk

Henley
Dec 27 2008, 4:43am Anchor
zahlenbechk wrote:I just have a quick question about the time of day, and weather aspect of a level; specifically, is it in anyway wrong to have a level that was basically designed to look pretty in a certain tod/weather mode, but looks significantly worse in other tod/weather modes?   Example: If you had a tod, or weather effect that compliments your intended viewable landscape making it look perfect [hypothetically], and for what ever reason [your level] looks appalling in another tod/weather mode could that be a legitimate degrading factor of the quality of that map?

well it will all be based on a few things when it comes to judging

• Aesthetics: Visual fidelity/accuracy of design /10
  • Functionality: Does it work? /10
  • Balance: Is it fair? In (team) deathmatch play, do both teams have equal advantage? /10
  • Fun Factor: Enjoyable? Do you lose track of time while playing? /10

So if a map looks good but we find the game mode it uses to be confusing or not very well planned it will get an average score based on those figures.

--

Dec 27 2008, 5:43am Anchor

I was looking at this forum on my mobile phone before, and someone here asked if I didn't mind if they created a mario 64 level or something? Anyway, I believe you're able to do one of the other super mario 64 levels, but not the same one I did if I read the rules correctly...
I wanted to do more of the super mario 64 levels, but I figured that one was enough for now. I'm working on some other stuff right now instead.

zahlenbechk
Dec 27 2008, 5:55am Anchor

I take it you will look at a map with the default time of day and stuff like that then.  You are a judge eh; sorry to bother but I have another quick question.  Let's say for example you have a decent DM [only] map (built in a way that you could only imagine it working with deathmatch), and an equal quality map supporting all game modes; would the stacked map have an edge?

Henley
Dec 27 2008, 6:33am Anchor
zahlenbechk wrote:I take it you will look at a map with the default time of day and stuff like that then.  You are a judge eh; sorry to bother but I have another quick question.  Let's say for example you have a decent DM [only] map (built in a way that you could only imagine it working with deathmatch), and an equal quality map supporting all game modes; would the stacked map have an edge?

Nope, remember this isnt just build a map that works with a game type, you will get better points by making a map that is more unique! But if you want to get really into it, it comes down to this. Can your map that supports all game types be played fairly and have great balance? Or would you be better off using 1 game type and making it work. Thats almost like saying DE-DUST will be a great hostage map, it wouldnt. Also im quite sure that the tod and weather you select in your map stays like that and never changes. So if you make a night map, it will be in night. If its raining it will rain. etc etc.

--

Dec 27 2008, 6:39am Anchor

Well thinking about something unique isnt necessarly hard, the hard part is doing it in the editor :P
I am finding pretty hard to do curve structures, I began doing it with the terrain but then I found out that there wasnt a good enough texture to it.

Does the editor only have those concrete blocks and fort blocks to do buildings? How do we chose the weapons when we are testing the map?

zahlenbechk
Dec 27 2008, 6:52am Anchor

Henley, thanks for the quick responses.  I was originally leaning towards the 'jam everything in even if it aint great, at least it's there and it works' kind of stance.  I guess the best thing to do would be to set a goal with a certain gametype then go back to the drawing board if you want to add a new one.  Thanks.

Dec 27 2008, 8:08am Anchor
DirtRiver wrote:Well thinking about something unique isnt necessarly hard, the hard part is doing it in the editor :P
I am finding pretty hard to do curve structures, I began doing it with the terrain but then I found out that there wasnt a good enough texture to it.

Does the editor only have those concrete blocks and fort blocks to do buildings? How do we chose the weapons when we are testing the map?

You can't choose weapons when in CTRL-G mode in the editor, the only way you can change weapons is if you play in the proper MP.

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Dec 27 2008, 10:01am Anchor

i am going to join in on the question bandwagon! say for instance i am working on a historical landmark and i choose the Taj Mahal for instance... does that mean no one else can do the same thing if i submit a finished version?

Dec 27 2008, 12:30pm Anchor

I find it best to always play maps using the map default time and weather.  The creator of the map chose those setting and probably with good intentions. 
When making a map don't you find that it's nearly impossible to have the depth of field and visual quality great at all times of day, I sure do. :paranoid:

Dec 27 2008, 5:28pm Anchor
Someone wrote:
  • The map must be complete and playable, in-complete maps will be disqualified
  • The work submitted must be original (never before seen) and not a forgery. Forgery will result in immediate disqualification

• To me that says several things. You can't use someone elses map and work on it to make it better then claim it as your own.
    OR you simply can't do the same idea as someone else. But still not sure which one it is or if it's both or something else.

It's all a bit questionable really, because if someone creates 100 cool ideas that are poorly executed, then does that person claim those ideas? Does someone who actually spends more time on just one or a few of those ideas get disqualified for making a great map but using the same idea as the guy who did the poor execution?
    Personally, I would think not. But if someone does a great idea with a great map, and someone comes along and tries to do a little bit better, well I think that would be a bit different, however, that'd be something the judges would have to answer.
    One would think that the rules are adaptable depending on the situation.

avecess, that's right, as a mapper, we should choose the appropriate weather and time of day settings for the map. Of course we should also check other weather settings just in case, the reason I say to check other weather settings is simply due to the fact that the sun is positioned differently and light is obviously projected at a different angle, so if you have objects that have no face on the back side of them, and the light is behind those objects, the light will shine through to the other side of those objects and can make a map look really bad during a different time of day compared to what it was built for.
    So while we as mappers have to choose the BEST option for the map, or what we feel would be best, we also have to test other lighting settings to make sure that there are no lighting leaks in the map and so on so forth.

Edited by: Otreum

Dec 27 2008, 6:09pm Anchor

good call Otreum, I'll keep that in mind

Snipergen
    Dec 27 2008, 6:23pm Anchor

I would give money for a rain option! Well anyway, if I work tomorrow on it I think I can put an alpha online. I'm looking forward to that! Also, I'm gonna adapt the spawn system from Insurgency MOD, because I really hate it getting shot when you spawn in the custom maps...

Progress:

Reply to Thread
    click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.