Forum Thread
by member
Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest (Forums : Contests : Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60
zahlenbechk
zahlenbechk Superhuman Mediocrity
Dec 24 2008, 8:52pm Anchor

I plan on making the head; I was just jamming in some of the other setting to see if I could make a map like this work. The head will be very tricky though. I also plan to put a lot of scaffolds and platforms on the monument to give the in construction look, and also give the players some interesting area to play in.

Dec 24 2008, 10:08pm Anchor

whoever recrates a base in Planetside is a winner for me lol.

zahlenbechk
Dec 24 2008, 10:33pm Anchor

Why don't you?

Here is a new pic of the view from the shoulder facing Cairo Giza. I still have a lot more work to do on this scene.

Edited by: zahlenbechk

Dec 25 2008, 12:47am Anchor

This is the first Far Cry 2 map i made for this contest.The name is "fc2_sands"I sent you some caps...

User Posted Image

User Posted Image
Hope you like it!
PS : Sorry if i got bad english, i'm argentinian xD
PS2: sorry for the bad quality of the caps, my pc sucks

Edited by: juanignaci

zahlenbechk
Dec 25 2008, 2:23am Anchor

Looking pretty generic at the moment, keep on adding stuff; it'll look better by the minute.

SPHINX UPDATE:
I got most of the background in roughly. All I have to do now is take and attempt at making a head, and polish it up to make it look nice.
Crap. the picture is all squishy again. :( Click on it to see it properly.

Dec 25 2008, 2:43am Anchor

Hmmm...was the Sphinx not made out of stone?

Nope, nope. Though it was made out of blocks, but nevermind, I was wrong.

zahlenbechk
Dec 25 2008, 2:51am Anchor

Blocks cut from stone. The [real] sphinx may look exceptionally blocky now, but I'm pretty sure it was chiseled down very nicely when It was made. Yeah I know the texture is not 100% right, but that was the option I could fathom. This is supposed to look half finished; hence the scaffolds ans supports on it for the workers to chisel away.

Snipergen
Snipergen Lvl Designer/Env Artist
Dec 25 2008, 5:48am Anchor

It's a LEVEL DESIGN contest guys, not recreate stuff that has already been made :p (I'm talking to the dudes that make dust2 or cod4maps etc...)
Let's see some original designs! I like the sphinx though but its really sniper friendly :p (Oh I don't mind that btw >:D)

Edited by: Snipergen

Dec 25 2008, 6:23am Anchor

SniperGen, look at the 3 categories, one of them is to recreate favourite maps or areas from pastime gaming (aka the Nostalgia category) meaning that we do have to remake old game levels or something that reminds people of old past time games etc.
Personally, I don't think that anything that was released in the past 5 years or so has that nostalgic stigma attached to it, hence why I went with good old Super Mario 64, hell I even remade pacman just for kicks :P

There are quite a few original designs in the WHAT THE!? category, take a look at the addons ;)

zahlenbechk
Dec 25 2008, 6:43am Anchor

Thanks spipergen. I personally don't understand the 'What the' category fully. I assume that given the title they [the judges] try to choose the wackiest candidate, but they also restrict their decisions based on the little criteria to meet thing they have happening there. It seems like the two could conflict. For instance Otreum's mega tank map; it is a really solid map, but it will most definitely get out 'what the'd' by some weaker opposition. Maybe I'm looking way too deep into this one...

I got the story for my Sphinx map thought out:
A group of African freedom fighters are sitting around a campfire relaxing, when out from behind a straw hut jumps the infamous Dr. Zietgenstein carrying a shiny weapon. He fires a ball of anti-matter from his xr3000 teleport gun, and the group are consumed and blasted through time. They wake up scattered around a semi constructed sphinx, something in them has changed. The trip through time caused them to go insane and viciously kill each other. Eventually there is a soul survivor who after coming to finds himself alone with all of his friends around him dead.
"Dr. Zietgenstein"!!!! He screams. A spherical anomaly appears, the survivor lunges towards it blasting him back through hyperspace and into the present. He then tracks down unsuspecting Dr. Zeitgenstein and crushes him with an Austin Martin DB7 [having gained superpowers from his trip through time and space]. He then becomes a bigamist and settles down with 113 women and lives happily ever after.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SURVIVE?

:P

myles
myles Woah.
Dec 25 2008, 7:08am Anchor
Snipergen wrote:It's a LEVEL DESIGN contest guys, not recreate stuff that has already been made :p (I'm talking to the dudes that make dust2 or cod4maps etc...)
Let's see some original designs! I like the sphinx though but its really sniper friendly :p (Oh I don't mind that btw >:D)

As one of the categories is too remake your fav game map... it means their will be remakers

--

Portfolio

Error: The operation completed successfully.

f0u
f0u
Dec 25 2008, 1:10pm Anchor

I updated my map called Dante, fixing some plants not touching the ground and everything is more smooth now. Try it when it gets authorized. And by the way, my LavaGiant map is now 40% finished.

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Dec 25 2008, 1:17pm Anchor

lol how many maps u plan on submitting fou ? :o

Snipergen
Snipergen Lvl Designer/Env Artist
Dec 25 2008, 1:41pm Anchor

Oh I don't read contest rules very good appearently sorry ^^
Update: Found good weather setting, will be team deathmatch. I also love the LOD's of the tires :p

PS: MODDB and google chrome is nono.

Edited by: Snipergen

f0u
f0u
Dec 25 2008, 3:31pm Anchor
razorb wrote:lol how many maps u plan on submitting fou ? :o

Right now, 3 "What The..!?" maps are finished, I'm working on 1 "Nostalgia" map and I won't make any "Real World Landmark" maps. I don't have much time these days for mapping but I plan on making more, even after that contest. I love making maps.

Dec 25 2008, 4:00pm Anchor

Let's say I win-theoretical,how the hell would i get my prize in Slovenia or can you get it only if you're from America,GB,Australia...(Just a question)

Dec 25 2008, 4:52pm Anchor

I'm 90% done with my map, Acropolis del Norte:

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

All I really need to do now is add the UFLL base and add some strategic points and clutter and then I'm done. :D

Also Merry Christmas everybody!

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Dec 25 2008, 7:31pm Anchor
Otreum wrote:SniperGen, look at the 3 categories, one of them is to recreate favourite maps or areas from pastime gaming (aka the Nostalgia category) meaning that we do have to remake old game levels or something that reminds people of old past time games etc.
Personally, I don't think that anything that was released in the past 5 years or so has that nostalgic stigma attached to it, hence why I went with good old Super Mario 64, hell I even remade pacman just for kicks :P

There are quite a few original designs in the WHAT THE!? category, take a look at the addons ;)

nope your wrong, you dont have to re-make old maps, the Nostalgia category is for making maps that give people the feeling of older games, they dont have to be maps from games, stuff like making a big master cheif statue or something similar.

--

f0u
f0u
Dec 25 2008, 9:55pm Anchor

I finished my Lava Giant map. Here is the Fort screenshot:

It's a "Nostalgia" map (A remake of Unreal Tournament's Lava Giant) The only map I'll make for this award. The screenshot shows only a small part of the map, It's huge... You'll see when it gets its authorisation.

Dec 25 2008, 10:35pm Anchor

TELMAH SPEAR
- Release Notes (Thank you for reading!)
Submitted for the Landmarks Award (ModDB).

Photobucket

YouTube Map Trailer Video:
Youtube.com
**watch in high quailty**

Key Notes

-This project is the result of 220+ hours of precision work spanning the course of 63 days.

-The map is, structurally, an exact exterior replica of one of the largest free standing news/broadcast buildings (The Calgary Herald) in my city, owned by the city's largest media organization - Canwest Global Communications Corp.

-Initial scaling, for major site features, was calculated using Google Earth.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

-Over 70 onsite photographs were taken for this project.

Photobucket

-The playable area and site property have been, from the start, streamlined for fast pasted multiplayer action, suitable for 8-12 players (8 player DM / 4v4, 5v5, 6v6 TDM or CoD).

Map Detail Notes

Please see the release notes included with the map for more information on this section.
-- Scenario Synapses
-- The Purpose of vehicles
-- Tactical Recon (gameplay tips and info)

Personal Notes
(to ModDB and the Ubisoft team):

- Thank you for giving us this great opportunity to express ourselves using this incredible piece of software!
-Hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it :)

Avecess.

YouTube Map Trailer Video:
Youtube.com
**watch in high quality**

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Dec 26 2008, 12:39am Anchor

nice work for finishing such a big map avecess, just hope my computer can handle it heh

zahlenbechk
Dec 26 2008, 2:56am Anchor

Wow 220 hours; you must really want to kill the people who work there. :P Looks fantastic, but it's not really a global landmark. Regardless, with that kind of effort I hope you win that category; that is far above and beyond the call of duty.

EDIT: I guess I could squeeze into this post that my Giza map will probably be up tomorrow.

Dec 26 2008, 5:14am Anchor

Just wanted to ask something about maps like avecss's since it says it took 63 days and the competition only goes for 30, what are the rules for this. Personally it's not a huge bother to me since i'm not making much of an attempt to recreate any landmarks, however it would be interesting to see about this.

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Dec 26 2008, 5:27am Anchor
Otreum wrote:Just wanted to ask something about maps like avecss's since it says it took 63 days and the competition only goes for 30, what are the rules for this. Personally it's not a huge bother to me since i'm not making much of an attempt to recreate any landmarks, however it would be interesting to see about this.

well as far as i can tell he was still making it when the comp rolled around, so It's good in my eyes.

--

Dec 26 2008, 5:35am Anchor

ok, fair enough :)

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.