Forum Thread
by member
Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest (Forums : Contests : Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60
zahlenbechk
zahlenbechk Superhuman Mediocrity
Dec 22 2008, 6:46am Anchor

Hey, just thought I'd show some images of my finished (but still open for improvements) Blood Gulch remake map that I've been tinkering with.  Sorry if I interrupted a conversation or something. o_0  I've been playing around with ideas on how to make it original and have it paced properly in Far Cry 2.  I added a water ring around the map to a) make for a faster run across the map compensating for the lacking of teleporters, and b) stopping guys running jeeps from running down the unfortunate souls that have to make the run by foot.  What do you guys think?

Img392.imageshack.us

Img166.imageshack.us

Img509.imageshack.us

Dec 22 2008, 8:02am Anchor

Good luck on the Mario 64 map (Can't remember the name, been too long since I've played that game) Otreum.

Looks pretty accurate from what I can remember.

Edited by: Grimezy15

Dec 22 2008, 9:30am Anchor

Heh, thanks Grimezy15, it wasn't that accurate actually...I was running an emulator and trying to make the map based off what I see in game, however the view in super mario 64 is very limited and it can be quite deceptive when looking at some areas.
I scrapped the map and started again, and it looks much much more accurate now, it also feels better to run around in, even if it's not designed to be a multiplayer map.
I found a good overhead image of the bomb-om battlefield map and am trying to make the level based off the overhead picture so it's much better.
Anyway, i've been mapping too much now and my head feels like it's gonna pop from frustration, I've got a few unique maps that will be coming soon people.

zahlenbechk:
Personally I never liked Halo, or any of it's multiplayer maps. While blood gulch was the best to play on for me and alot of other people, it was really quite bland and boring. The only fun I had on that map with people was playing a game where players had to try and flip one anothers vehicles so that they were forced out of their vehicles and other vehicles driving around would run them over. So I probably MIGHT have a look at the map when it's done, however I most probably won't sorry, but good luck with it anyway, i'm sure there are some halo fans around here somewhere who will enjoy it.

Edited by: Otreum

AlexCrafter
AlexCrafter Mapper
Dec 22 2008, 1:06pm Anchor

I should be getting Farcry 2 tomorrow and I'll start mapping rigth away. I'm aiming for the !? part of the contest almost entirley. I have a few concepts im mind from a half year of designing and researching alternative, non-violent game play. Really looking forward to getting my hands on the editor.

Dec 22 2008, 5:13pm Anchor

Quick question about the landmark category. Is the requirments just to be realistic or do I need to base it off an actualy place in the world?

f0u
f0u
Dec 22 2008, 5:48pm Anchor
Ghost.X wrote:Quick question about the landmark category. Is the requirments just to be realistic or do I need to base it off an actualy place in the world?

An actual place with an african flavour!

zahlenbechk
Dec 22 2008, 7:38pm Anchor

Otreum: 
I kind of feel the same way about halo, but something about that map just works for me.  The I couldn't agree more with the bland and boring part; that has been the biggest problem for me.  Thanks for the input.  Back to the drawing board I guess.  :P

Dec 22 2008, 7:47pm Anchor

Hello!

Here are some pictures of my map, Carentan a remake from Call of Duty.
Have fun!

Good luck to all, and Merry Christmas!

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

zahlenbechk
Dec 22 2008, 11:46pm Anchor

Update for CryGulch (Blood Gulch remake).  I'll upload update in a couple of days.  I have been having a little bit of trouble keeping it from being bland like the original.  I made a few drastic changes; firstly I took f0u's advice and made a tunnel through the center of the map, put a couple of rope bridges from the top of the accessible side cliff directly to the ground near the respective bases, and added quite a bit of props and detail.

Pic of tunnel:
Img354.imageshack.us

Does anyone have ideas on what to do to the cave to make it more interesting? 

Thanks.

f0u
f0u
Dec 23 2008, 12:03am Anchor
zahlenbechk wrote:Update for CryGulch (Blood Gulch remake).  I'll upload update in a couple of days.  I have been having a little bit of trouble keeping it from being bland like the original.  I made a few drastic changes; firstly I took f0u's advice and made a tunnel through the center of the map, put a couple of rope bridges from the top of the accessible side cliff directly to the ground near the respective bases, and added quite a bit of props and detail.

Pic of tunnel:
Img354.imageshack.us

Does anyone have ideas on what to do to the cave to make it more interesting? 

Thanks.

Raise it, turn the rocks upside down so you don't see the flat side of it, put your road with signs, maybe a checkpoint style barrier or two, put some debris, wrecked cars, explosives?, more rocks, maybe you could make it turn... I don't know it's your map man! Let your imagination do the work... I'm sure you can create something particular.

Dec 23 2008, 12:14am Anchor

I pretty much agree with what f0u just said, especially with those rocks being turned the other way or made to look more natural some other way.

I would advise you to have a look on google pictures at rock formations or "rock across road" "rock bridge across road" and so on, reference pictures can help alot if you don't have the imagination at hand straight away.
It also helps to take a walk outside and go to a natural habitat like a creek, river, cliff, mountain or whatever to see how to make your map look as close to the real thing as possible. If you have a camera as well, that can be really handy if you don't have a photographic memory.
You could also look at later games aswell and see how they design their levels to get ideas from that too.
Anyway, gotta get back to work.

f0u
f0u
Dec 23 2008, 12:25am Anchor

Here's a screenshot of the base of my map Lava Giant (originaly an Unreal Tournament map). It is about 15% done and a lot of things you can see in the screenshot will be totally different in the final result.

I found out that trying to recreate a map (Nostalgia) or trying to rebuild a real landmark is kind of "boring"... I don't know... That's the main reason why I don't do this type of maps. Lava Giant is an exception to that rule because I really liked that UT map... but I think it will be the last for Nostalgia. I have fun making maps when I start from scratch with an idea I developed alone. That's why I will put some F0U's style in this classic level.

And by the way... I don't have Unreal Tournament anymore so I'm building this with what I can remember from it. I also watched a gameplay video on youtube to refresh my memories.

Dec 23 2008, 12:36am Anchor

Hmmm, the pic didn't show for me, but it could be just a problem on my side.

I agree that nostalgia maps are boring and a pain in the bum, the super mario 64 one that i'm working on is driving me insane...mainly because the game used very sharp angles and that's a bit hard to do with this editor.

Anyway, I decided to go back to doing more work on my UltraTank and decided that I would make it an actual level, not just a construction.
The idea is more like an assault gametype really, but I believe that a CTD and uprising game mode can work well with this map.
Anyway, here is a near final shot from the level which I will probably use for it's thumbnail upon submission.

User Posted Image
User Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted ImageUser Posted Image

zahlenbechk
Dec 23 2008, 1:29am Anchor

Otreum, that mega tank thing looks stellar!  For your problem with the mario 64 map, couldn't you just use the square brush option for the tricky angles?

Dec 23 2008, 2:07am Anchor

Thanks zahlenbechk :)

It doesn't matter if I use the square brush or not. say if you were to look at the map from above, directly above 90 degree angle and you tried to make a diamond shape. The bottom right and top left sides of the diamond will be perfectly straight, however the top right and bottom left will be jagged looking no matter what you do, so that's a real pain.
However, i'm going to try and stay clear of making the blocky looking mario 64 map and not try and make a pentagon shaped mountain, i'll just do it like it's a proper place and do that african flavour like it says in the description of the nostalgia category.
So that means there will most probably be smoother rounded looking edges and a more shapely mountain as well as other parts.

Anyway, here is a small updated pic from the ultratank. I added vehicles to the tank team at the front of the tank. It is meant to be a lowered vehicle platform that would slide up and tuck under the front of the tank, but it's lowered here since the tank has malfunctioned and broken down.
User Posted Image

Basically the situation is that the tank is a city/town destroyer, and it just rolls over everything in it's path pretty much, however after attacking a small city, and just exiting a small gorge, the tank has broken down right near a small squad of desert scavengers and their hideout.
The scavengers are hunting for diamonds, and have picked up a signal of the diamond case onboard the tank so they are attacking while they have the chance.
The tank picked up the signal aswell and found out that the small scavenger outpost has diamonds too, so they are also going to make the most of the opportunity.
The tank has 2 mortars on the top at the back for rear defence, it has 2 side mortars up the front and 2 50.cals up in the crew area and control room for basic air defence, so those guns are useless basically :P

The map is in it's finalilzation stage now, and the only problem i've run into so far is that it runs a little bit slow in some areas. I'm going to see if I can fix this up.

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
HotNirvanaJudoTrend Northern Avid Judo Ant
Dec 23 2008, 10:41am Anchor

My Work in progress is hell bent on guerrilla gameplay, the Crater Oasis. i am focused on realism with an extreme prejudice.  submitted under the What The...!? award on account of the caverns and multiple various nooks and crannies for all those "surprise! you're dead!" moments.

Best suited to all game play modes! :D

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

I made sure to inclue a little bit of everything for everyone, a real crowd pleaser, i hope.   i have a high peak mountain top with access to the top through a shanty cavern, with a lake down below and a small abandoned fishing village atop a steep hill in the middle of the lake.
Multiple cliffsides and caverns make for a great touch-and-go (team) Deathmatch, or perilously placed capture points to make for an intense uprising match.
With all the cliffsides and hiding places, snipers will have a field day in here, while still providing enough diversity for all weapon kits to flourish.

The entire map is set inside a gigantic crater, inspired by crater lake, but not mapped to reflect the real-life lake itself.
PLENTY of easter eggs to find! if i counted them, i would have contested that they all be found!

I hope you all will enjoy this map, although i have to admit, those other WTF and replica monument submissions are out of the park!!

--

I am Redundant Jovian Thor.
Misery loves company, so why aren't we all trying to be miserable and love each other?

Dec 23 2008, 11:52am Anchor

Great maps!  I think I'll download some.  Here's what I'm working on right now: 

The UFLL has to assault the APR's base, using the crates as cover.  Meanwhile the APR shuts some of the doors, locking the UFLL out.  Here's one of the doors.

One APR member shuts the door by shooting the barrels, while the others rush into other parts, such as upstairs, the Garage, or just locking themselves in a room.  Please tell me what you think so far.  (BTW, Otreum, that Ultra-Tank looks sweet.  I can't wait to download it 8) )

HotNirvanaJudoTrend
HotNirvanaJudoTrend Northern Avid Judo Ant
Dec 23 2008, 12:38pm Anchor

May the gods look favorably upon my map, as for the last few days, my computer's health has been degrading, and Far Cry 2 is not exactly healthy for it.

I cannot dream of parting with my beloved map editor, but it seems i might only amount to one submission!   

highly discouraged after seeing the floating islands map!!  but im going to have to give it my best shot!    realism rules out floating islands though!   LOL  just as long as realism doesnt interfere with the wtf award  ;)

User Posted Image

Indeed, may the gods look favorably upon my map!   ...or at least the judges! :D

Edited by: HotNirvanaJudoTrend

Dec 23 2008, 12:54pm Anchor

Hello guys I have a question for you:

I still havent bought Far Cry 2 so I am unable to play with the Editor but I really want to enter this contest so I will buy it as fast as I can.
Since I have already 2 nice ideas to start, the questions are:

1 - Do we need to make a Multiplayer type map? (I dont even know if the editor can make it or not)

2 - Is the editor able to do complex buildings?

3 - Where can I find good and simple tutorials for this editor?

zahlenbechk
Dec 23 2008, 1:24pm Anchor

1) yes mostly, but for the What the...? award you can get away with about anything

2) Somewhat, it is tricky though.

3) You probably won't need any tutorials for this editor.  I don't have any experience with others, but it seems pretty simple.

Moleman2009
Moleman2009 Mod Manager
Dec 23 2008, 1:33pm Anchor

indeed i went into the editor with ziipo experience and ive been doing quite find, its very simple to figure out

Dec 23 2008, 1:42pm Anchor

Ok you calmed me down :p I didnt thought I would have the time to do what I want if I still nedded to learn it.

What about A.I? Can we spawn enemies and put them guarding a place?

(Damn it I have 2 ideas that are awesome but really tricky to get them done :X)

Dec 23 2008, 1:45pm Anchor

Another question. Is it judged off complete accuracy, or can I do my own improvisation? Like say I wanted to do an area from Kampala (capital of Uganda), so when you play the map, you feel this could actually be a district from Kampala, only I modified it for the sake of balance and gameplay. Is that considered or just accuracy? In other words, looks like Kampala but isn't?

zahlenbechk
Dec 23 2008, 1:46pm Anchor

No singleplayer levels.  Sorry if I was unclear; I meant your level could be something like a crazy physics demo or anything, not just competitive multiplayer.

Dec 23 2008, 1:49pm Anchor

Here is a few pictures of my fc2_dm_fun_island_v2 map for the competition. Guess it fits "what the?!" category...

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.