Forum Thread
by member
Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest (Forums : Contests : Far Cry 2 Level Editor Contest) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 60
Dec 19 2008, 5:22pm Anchor
neurosol wrote:
megaqgzqgz wrote:I would like some feedback on my map! Thanks ahead for any one who does!

So, i'll honestly answer you that your map has surrely a great gameplay, and it would be possible to be fun to play with.
But, it has any original idea or theme who gives some personnality to your map, she's flat and everyone can do a map like that. You must keep it up if you want to win because some people here made cities, tunnels, robots and more to deserve our attention.
Who am i to give you some advices? i could'nt pretend to be better than another one, but i'm sure that we have to MAKE SOMETHING SPECIAL.
Sorry for that, try harder.

Thats why I have made the only junkyard maps and it not original whats not original about it. Its one of the mos detailed maps I say on all the map community.  Please answer how its un original. Also its very WIP I need more suggestions to add also this map is made for every game mode! I already know I should add more cover. This map is balanced and great with detail and im only started with detail right now. Im not sure about gameplay so can anyone play with me on it I need to test it.

Edited by: megaqgzqgz

Dec 19 2008, 7:23pm Anchor

What neurosol said, your map is a tad to flat, you need to mess around with some landscaping, make it a bit rough especially in the Junkyard, if you go through Far Cry 2 the only flat area's you'll see are inside the buildings, even bumping up/down your roads can make a difference.

Dec 19 2008, 7:43pm Anchor
megaqgzqgz wrote:
neurosol wrote:
megaqgzqgz wrote:I would like some feedback on my map! Thanks ahead for any one who does!

So, i'll honestly answer you that your map has surrely a great gameplay, and it would be possible to be fun to play with.
But, it has any original idea or theme who gives some personnality to your map, she's flat and everyone can do a map like that. You must keep it up if you want to win because some people here made cities, tunnels, robots and more to deserve our attention.
Who am i to give you some advices? i could'nt pretend to be better than another one, but i'm sure that we have to MAKE SOMETHING SPECIAL.
Sorry for that, try harder.

Thats why I have made the only junkyard maps and it not original whats not original about it. Its one of the mos detailed maps I say on all the map community.  Please answer how its un original. Also its very WIP I need more suggestions to add also this map is made for every game mode! I already know I should add more cover. This map is balanced and great with detail and im only started with detail right now. Im not sure about gameplay so can anyone play with me on it I need to test it.

I think it should be the other way round, think about the game play then add the detail.

Edited by: BunnyJen

Toblerone
Toblerone Mod Level Designer
Dec 19 2008, 10:19pm Anchor

Quick update :)

The Iconic Koopa Rock!.. also been working on getting the track as accurate as poss. and experimenting with different jumps to find a method that doesn't make you explode and die.

how do you reckon it compares to the original?  :paranoid:

Still lots to do until its right, fun fun :)

Liking the floaty isles maps.  Fou i wouldn't be too precious over the 'floating islands' concept, I had a few mess around levels early on with random crap floating everywhere, and i'd expect a few more maps from ppl along the same lines.  It'll be the design that counts in the end, not the general concept.

f0u
f0u
Dec 19 2008, 10:51pm Anchor

Nice Concept doesn't mean Good Map... I tested about 100 maps now and every time I saw a nice concept in a map, the design was horrible. Of course I found some exceptions but there's only a few.

Dec 19 2008, 11:08pm Anchor

The concept and design work hand in hand; you can't have a great concept with bad design and/or a bad concept with a great design and call it a great map.
There needs to be a balance between the two in order for the final  result to be great. Great concept + Great design = Great map...

BTW, updated my main post with near finished screenshots of the map "Vertigo", aswell as adding my "Ultratank" screenshots :P
*UPDATE*

The map "Vertigo" is about to be uploaded, it is about as complete as I can make it with only very VERY teensy tiny little problems that aren't really even noticable.
The one problem that is noticable however, one which cannot be changed or fixed is the darkness of inside the towers, but there are some lamps laying about the level to highlight areas to help people get up and down the towers without getting lost.

Edited by: Otreum

Dec 20 2008, 7:11am Anchor
Toblerone wrote:Quick update :)

The Iconic Koopa Rock!.. also been working on getting the track as accurate as poss. and experimenting with different jumps to find a method that doesn't make you explode and die.

how do you reckon it compares to the original?  :paranoid:

Still lots to do until its right, fun fun :)

Liking the floaty isles maps.  Fou i wouldn't be too precious over the 'floating islands' concept, I had a few mess around levels early on with random crap floating everywhere, and i'd expect a few more maps from ppl along the same lines.  It'll be the design that counts in the end, not the general concept.

Looks great, I'd know what that was even without the Mario Kart screen shot.

@ Otreum I really like the Vertigo map. It looks nice and bold.  It makes me think of the Mercy Hospital in Left4Dead, where you are so high up you have to be playing the game, as well as  allowing for things trying to knock you off the edge. Trying to avoid falling off as you're so high up definitely adds tension ^_^

Edited by: BunnyJen

Dec 20 2008, 7:33am Anchor

Well you don't really need to worry about falling off unless you go to some of the parts where there is no wall to stop you falling, the main concern is falling down the inside of the tower unlike mercy hospital where you're more concerned about a tank slamming you and sending you flying or something.

BTW, I have uploaded the Vertigo map, earlier today, however obviously it is still awaiting authorization so you should see it there shortly.

f0u
f0u
Dec 20 2008, 8:54am Anchor

OK thanks to Otreum for his feedback on my Magic Kingdom map page. I didn't test the first version a lot so I just finished testing it for real now and I changed a lot of things making it more "smooth" Some ladders were unaccessible, jumping was needed to reach some places, the paraglider was bugged too low on the surface, I added some objects, more lightning, I fixed the Spectator Cameras, I changed the default settings, I made a "bottom of the map", and fixed some "not supposed to be floating" objects. The map will be available to download when it gets the authorisation again.

I'll review your Vertigo map in return ;)

Moleman2009
Moleman2009 Mod Manager
Dec 20 2008, 3:01pm Anchor

Alright so ive been having several concept ideas with m friends and such, so heres one that we are wanting to go with, and we are wanting to know what the community might think of it, Alcatraz island and all of its escape roots, for either the what the...!? award or the land marks one

Toblerone
Dec 20 2008, 6:41pm Anchor
Moleman2009 wrote:Alright so ive been having several concept ideas with m friends and such, so heres one that we are wanting to go with, and we are wanting to know what the community might think of it, Alcatraz island and all of its escape roots, for either the what the...!? award or the land marks one

That sounds like a good idea, it'd probably make for a decent map gameplay wise too.. i'm thinking 'The Rock' :)  the idea hasn't been suggested or posted here as yet, so go for it.

I have a Challenge for you though... I'd like to see the Golden Gate Bridge out in the Distance ;)  that would be epic

f0u
f0u
Dec 20 2008, 6:48pm Anchor
Moleman2009 wrote:Alright so ive been having several concept ideas with m friends and such, so heres one that we are wanting to go with, and we are wanting to know what the community might think of it, Alcatraz island and all of its escape roots, for either the what the...!? award or the land marks one

It could be nice, will you create the interior? just the concept of a simple prison can be good. WIth the island and the escape routes it could make a great map.

Moleman2009
Moleman2009 Mod Manager
Dec 20 2008, 7:19pm Anchor

hmmm the golden gate bridge idea could be something that we could put in, right now we are trying to find the original floor plans for Alcatraz island, ive been playin around with the editor and have gotten a good feel for cliffs and such, to answer f0u's question about the interiour yes we would, me and my friend are wanting to build it to almost exact although im wondering how we would do the cell bars and such, although i have one question, is there a copy option for objects, because it would be very helpful

Toblerone
Dec 20 2008, 7:27pm Anchor

On many occasions I get annoyed with the limitations of this editor hampering what could have been...  This concept I'm working on is certainly do-able, but it is one of those instances where I wish I had a bit more control and more to work with.

So.. this might be a little hard to explain until I have more to show but its basically a large naval fleet out in the ocean.  The bulk of the map is aboard the Gigantic 'Juggernaut' ship which will be the WW2 equivalent of the StarWars Executor Super Star Destroyer.  Its going to be a combination of a battle ship and an Aircraft carrier.  There will also be a number of smaller ships surrounding the Juggernaut engaged in battle with it.

The Concept of this map is not simply a naval fleet, however.  Its going to be a Snap Shot in time of its final battle.. ( this is where forced motion blur and permanent explosions would have helped ).  So there will be explosions of debris and guts, frozen in mid air.. planes hovering in semi take off and falling from the sky in plumes of static smoke ;)

Thats the plan anyway.. i only just started it late today so its in its infancy.

Heres and early shot of the Juggernaut, under construction.

pew pew pew!

Moleman2009 wrote:although im wondering how we would do the cell bars and such, although i have one question, is there a copy option for objects, because it would be very helpful

In Utilities\Detail Objects you'll find an object called 'Pestle' which could work for the prison bars.. also there's a pole in there but that might be too long.  And yes, you can copy objects, simply have the object selected in the move option, hold SHIFT and then move it in a direction.. this also works for groups of selected objects. (sometimes it snaps back and looks like its not copied, but its just in the exact same position as the original, so just move it and it should appear)

*UPDATE*

This might better explain the concept..

The fatal decent, never to reach its conclusion.

Edited by: Toblerone

f0u
Dec 20 2008, 8:11pm This post has been deleted.
Dec 20 2008, 11:19pm Anchor

Hi there, just started here, so I wanted to share with you my very first building in my map. I wanted to make something based on Jurassic Park (:

Here it´s Main Building...

And here the imense T-rex inside it heheheh

cheers!

Edited by: tioslash

Henley
Henley the sun never sets on the eternally cool
Dec 20 2008, 11:30pm Anchor
tioslash wrote:Hi there, just started here, so I wanted to share with you my very first building in my map. I wanted to make something based on Jurassic Park (:

Here it´s Main Building...

Img604.imageshack.us

And here the imense T-rex inside it heheheh

Img377.imageshack.us

Sorry...couldn´t make the screenshots appear right here...don´t know what I am doing wrong :S So i´ve put the links...

cheers

woah that really does look like JP. Good stuff

--

Dec 21 2008, 12:09am Anchor

Now all you need are the dino's chasing everyone around and you're set :)

Snipergen
Snipergen Lvl Designer/Env Artist
Dec 21 2008, 4:30am Anchor
Hi everyone! Awesome contest. I don't have anything to show yet because I'm drawing layouts first but here is some of my previous work. The editor is just too easy and fun :) I wished there was an SDK though...

Jeroendessaux.be
Jeroendessaux.be
Jeroendessaux.be
Jeroendessaux.be

Dec 21 2008, 5:16am Anchor

An SDK would be nice so we could add custom content, but, make the most of what you've got, thats the way I see it :)

f0u
f0u
Dec 21 2008, 4:47pm Anchor

I'm now working on a Nostalgia type map. In 1999, my favorite game was Unreal Tournament and my favorite map was Lava Giant (CTF). So I'm recreating it "Far Cry 2 Style" with a lot more details & some new features. Unreal fans will surely remember it.

The concept was simple, a mountain separating 2 forts with caves to go the other side, and lava all around. This map needs a remake! I won't post a screenshot of my version right now because only the forts and a small part of the rest are done.

Dec 21 2008, 10:12pm Anchor

hey guys, I am working on my new map called "Alcatraz" . This time it´s in "real locations" category, and I thought I could share some initial screens with you!

Here is the working-in-progress:

And here Real-life Alcatraz Diagram : 

Moleman2009
Moleman2009 Mod Manager
Dec 21 2008, 11:55pm Anchor

hey that was my idea, ah tis ok, me and some buddys have been experimenting with making a map centered around these factors.
FUN
FUNKY
FRESH
UNUSUAL
WORKS

so far weve got a large section of the map done, essentially our process would be to make a part of teh map and make the basics in it and play test, we look at possible points, advantages and such and adjust accordingly, so far weve gotten into cover and lighting were gonne finish up with details later on. Heres a couple of preview pics:

k
once we are finished with the aspects of the map, such as key elements the walls will be covered with rock's of various types and lighting fixtures, please a good critique on our concept would be nice, thanks

Dec 22 2008, 12:13am Anchor

I've found that the far cry 2 editor is terrible for doing indoor areas, i've done some indoor work before, but couldn't stand the yucky lighting. Anyway, I didn't spend alot of time doing indoor work, so perhaps since you're spending more time on it you can pull it off, keep at it and see how you go.

Right now i'm doing a super mario 64 map remake for the nostalgia award. Right now this map is VERY WIP, and I may even start again.
Unfortunately It is a bit difficult since none of the resources are the same, especially the textures since there is no bright green. So i'm considering either changing the grass to another texture, otherwise i'll just leave it as is.

Very early WIP map
User Posted Image

EDIT: I'm redoing this map again, only because I now know how much room I will need, and I can start in the middle area of the map, not the very corner. I also started the map on a bad angle which has been a pain in development even for this short time.

Moleman2009
Moleman2009 Mod Manager
Dec 22 2008, 1:18am Anchor

hey guys a small update on my map, we have decided on some cruical parts, maily what to cover the walls with, so we covered the ceiling in rock and spires and liked the dark, dingy look to the map, so we have decided to make a sort of abandoned mine shaft kinda thingy, what do you guys think? we have already begun to convert the map into that, and the playable aspect so far is great, and playable + loads of fun from getting shot from every where

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.