Forum Thread
Doubling the size of a map in Sandbox 2 (Forums : Level Design : Doubling the size of a map in Sandbox 2) Locked
Thread Options
Arkanj3l
Arkanj3l Somewhat Anarchic and Demented
Jan 1 2009 Anchor

Zooch had a stroke of genius (and I, a stroke of "Man why didn't I think of this before"), and said a good way of bordering your map, at least in Sandbox, is to basically double the size of the level and put more mountain ranges.

The problem I have right now is that I have no idea how I am supposed to go about it. I've already created a lot of terrain and when I resize the map the terrain is in the corner. I want it in the center.

Help?

Jan 8 2009 Anchor

I don't think you can make the terrain bigger without starting all over again..

Edited by: SIGILL

calimer
calimer SandboxGameMaker.com
Jan 8 2009 Anchor

Do you mean for Platinum Arts Sandbox or Crysis? In Platinum Arts Sandbox you can select all of your terrain using the right mouse button to select the whole area. Then you hold down the shift key to slide it over to where you want. You could also copy and paste it. If you need any help let me know. Take care.
-mike
Platinum Arts Sandbox - Free Open Source 3D Game Design Creation Software
Kids.platinumarts.net

--

Project Lead Of D. The Atom Shifter - An Action RPG
Platinum Arts Sandbox free 3D Game Maker "Create As You Play" game at Sandboxgamemaker.com
Head Organizer of the Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing Coop
Check out our business page

Jan 26 2009 Anchor

Go to your rollup bar (view - rollup bar if you can't see it). Go to the terrain tab then click on the "move area" button. The 3 input areas in the middle (below the buttons) are called DymX, DymY and DymZ, respectively. These three will compose your bounding box for whatever you want to move. Set the numbers to be big enough to move your entire area over (cutting it up is a huge pain, just do it all at once). There's features you can select that will move only your vegetation or only your terrain. These two boxes don't need to be clicked (you can just as easily move all objects/terrain at once by not selecting those boxes) - just do whatever suits your situation.

Click the "Select Source" button to get your bounding box, then resize the box to fit your area in it, then click "Select Target". Make sure the target is high enough as it usually defaults to a lower area than your original position (and you'll notice if your newly moved area is underwater - not a big deal just move it up).

It will royally screw up all your textures, but at least you can move all objects and terrain with one simple set of buttons and not worry too much about distortion. I have all my textures on specific settings anyways (angle and height restrictions) so it would simply be a "select texture and paint the whole place" for me and would take 10 minutes.

Let me know if you need more help.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.