Forum Thread
Defeat in Detail 2 (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : Defeat in Detail 2) Locked
Thread Options
Mauvebib
Mauvebib Swallow My Pride
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

<pimp>
I'm bored, so I'll pimp my mod a bit.

Defeat in Detail 2 is a standalone Real Time Strategy mod for the Darkplaces Quake Engine.

The game has two armies:

The Anti Terrorist Alied Coalition (ATAC) - A group of corrupt western nations after oil

The Badly Organised Mad Bomber (BOMB) - A united army of different terrorist organisations, set on the destruction of the west.

It will feature 2 single player campaigns of around ten missions each, as well as multiplayer and skirmish maps. We're hoping to do mission intro videos too, assuming we have enough time.

We've been working on it (on and off) for about two years, and it's really starting to come together. We're looking to get it finished and released by the QExpo this summer.

Check out our moddb page at Moddb.com

Or our homepage at Planetquake.com

User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

</pimp>

Edited by: Mauvebib

--

Defeat in Detail 2 - Standalone RTS Game
Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

I've been watching this, and it does look different, you don't see many FPS's being turned into RTS's. :D

Good Job, can't wait for the release!

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

LiMeY
LiMeY Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

looks good and nice idea but is the camera angle always directly above or will it be made changeable?

--

'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

DrZais
DrZais A Wing And A Prayer
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

looks like a nice idea, i assumed this would be another CS clone untill i read the words Real Time Strategy, tis a brave thing to take such an overused concept and completley change the style in which its played, the fact that its standalone makes it all the better.

good luck to ya

--

ACHTUNG SCHWINEHUND!
User Posted Image
Forums =-= Profile
GFJ
GFJ
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

LiMeY wrote: looks good and nice idea but is the camera angle always directly above or will it be made changeable?

I hope its not always from above, because if it is that would be bad...
Otherwise I like the idea.

Edited by: GFJ

Jan 17 2005 Anchor

Close combat games were overhead only and I enjoyed those alot. Just make sure you can zoom in and out to get a more strategic view of the area and plan attacks, otherwise it would be annoying. Looks awesome :D

Jan 17 2005 Anchor

awesome :D

i thought that it was dead

Mauvebib
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

Cheers for the encouragement guys.

Currently the camera is fixed overhead because of the difficulties of making mouse cursors work in a quake based engine. However, I hope to have this fixed by the release.

Zooming in and out is already included, and is an important part of the game.

And yeah, I guess Defeat In Detail does sound like a CS clone. Heh.

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

I think you need a custom cubemap for those burning barrels, and have the cubemap rotate a bit for that "fire" effect ;)

Edited by: leilei

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jan 17 2005 Anchor

take some pics from when you get into some fierce combat ;)

Mauvebib
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

Unfortunately my PC is currently unable to run the bloody thing! I'll get one of the other team members to take some combat shots tho.

Cheapy: Yeah you might be right on that. The barrels flickered and looked sweet back when we used Q1 map format, but since we've switched to Q3 BSP the lightstyles just don't look as good. I'm gonna add some smoke and stuff to make them look better. They're all over that map cos we couldn't think how else to light a destroyed city at night.

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Jan 17 2005 Anchor

Mauvebib: If you're going DP-only, why not look into the Prydon cursor extension?

--

User Posted Image

Jan 17 2005 Anchor

Are the projectiles are actually going to fly and miss or hit their target? Is it going to be TA-like, where you could accidentaly destroy some of your own units with a mistargeted artillery barrage, or DiD2 is going to be more warcraft2 (projectiles are damaging the enemy no matter if they're hiting him or not)?

Also i think that this mod could use some more darkness, the ambient light is too bright :)

Mauvebib
Jan 17 2005 Anchor

The screenshots are a lot lighter than it looks ingame. This level comes out very dark ingame and the screenshots werent too clear, so we did some brighter ones.

Projectiles have to hit the target to do damage to them, or at least land near them if they're explosive. Weapons like machine guns etc are direct him rather than projectile, but with an innacuracy that increases with distance. Currently there is no friendly fire, as it's quite annoying to lose troops to grenades bouncing unpredicably :o

The DP cursor is designed for prydon, and the DiD2 cursor works quite differently. Most of the screen is in a circle of normal mouse movement, but when the cursor moves to the edge of the circle the camera moves in that direction, allowing more flexable movement than the usual RTS standard of up/down and left/right. It also means the camera can easily be moved without the keyboard, and is very intuitive. This system is currently incompatible with the DP clientside cursor, though I might ask LordHavoc to add it to his todo list.

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Mauvebib
Jan 20 2005 Anchor

I've been working on getting Undiscovered Terrain / Fog of War working. You know what I mean, the way you can't see areas of the map you've not sent a troop to yet. It's nowhere near finished yet, but it's not looking bad.

I've also got a couple of shots of a battle in progress, though I missed most of the action fiddling with some settings.

These shots all came out pretty dark cos I had the brightness set wrong. Oh well, this map is set at night anyway.

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Edited by: Mauvebib

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Jan 20 2005 Anchor

i think you need to add to those light sources O_O

or does the code work it so that to have fog of war all lighrs
outside of a certain radius don't work? ;)

ahhh, i think i see how it is.

Mauvebib
Jan 21 2005 Anchor

As I said in the post, the shots were taken way too dark. This is the same map as one from the earlier pictures on this thread. The correct light level is somewhere between these two extremes, and one day I'll manage to get a screenshot of it :)

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.