Forum Thread
Civil War 2005. (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : Civil War 2005.) Locked
Thread Options
theprogrammer
theprogrammer omgds my megahurtz!
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

I just came up with this idea for an hl2 mod. It'll be a multiplayer mod, and it's basically a civil war in the united states. I'm going to create this mod, hopefully, if I can pull together a team, because it'd be kind of fun to instead of having us vs middle east like cssource or us vs germany like the ww2 mods, how about us vs us? dmocrats vs republicans. I mean, minus the guns and such, that's how the united states is anyway. I think it'll be pretty cool, and I"m going to start working on a website for it. once the website and such gets off the ground, i'll post this in mod discussion, but for now it's just an idea. any thoughts?

Mauvebib
Mauvebib Swallow My Pride
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

I actually think this is a kinda cool idea, it's certainly a little different.

What mod skills do you have yourself? Don't expect to get a mod off the ground if all you're doing is the website and 'managing'. Finding people to get involved is much easier if you are actually making some kind of game content yourself.

--

Defeat in Detail 2 - Standalone RTS Game
Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

cool idea, it would really work after the whole kerry vs bush charade. I live in the UK and we saw the propaganda over here, so funny :D

Lomo93901
Lomo93901 Get back to work!
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

The civil war, economically speaking, would make more sense if California tried branching off into it's own country. The war's front line would be on the border of nevada around lake tahoe, the mojave desert, and on the california/Oregon border, with several sea battles taking places off the coast of monterey, santa barbara and San Diego, including a nice little battle on the military live combat training grounds on the islands just off the coast of San Diego.

Just putting in my two cents.

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

And you would have to go by who actually voted for who, not the results in the last election, most of the southern states voted blue :O

Lomo93901
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

A lot of southern and east coast states voted bush. So they'd have one hell of an access to military, but as would the ones who voted Kerry. Both California and Florida are matches in both science, military, and aerospace technology. So, technically, the war would be fairly even out. But it'd take a hell of a lot of writing to make it worthwhile.

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

DId you not see what I just posted? They did not really vote for him, alot of democrat votes were hidden there too, even though it got no publicity at all.

Jan 22 2005 Anchor

uhhh wtf? no guns?

mr.spammer
mr.spammer More Than A Woman
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

what he means is this sort've conflict is happening in the US but without guns and violence, just words

theprogrammer
Jan 22 2005 Anchor

Mauvebib wrote: I actually think this is a kinda cool idea, it's certainly a little different.

What mod skills do you have yourself? Don't expect to get a mod off the ground if all you're doing is the website and 'managing'. Finding people to get involved is much easier if you are actually making some kind of game content yourself.

I'll also be acting as one of the 4 coders I'm recruiting.

and david~cult: No I meant in the real world, there's no guns, but in the mod, yes, there will be cool guns :). and i applied to add a mod at modb, and I've made a website. Working on forums right now: Civilwar.hl2files.com and on irc.gamesurge.net channel #civilwar05 . yall might move this to mod discussion soon, but that'd be alright lol, either way is great :P.

Jan 23 2005 Anchor

In this case, I think the South should break off from the North, and we'd be much better off for it. lol

Sounds like an interesting idea. I say go for it, but maybe place it a little farther into the future, like in the "I, Robot" style. It'd add a lot more styles of gameplay into the mix, like manuevering mechs around the battlefield or taking up spots in turrets in a nest to shoot down those really-nice looking jets with laser cannons :D

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Lomo93901
Jan 23 2005 Anchor

Yeah, what Karuto says makes sense. It's far enough in the future that you can use some more interesting weapons, but close enough to now that we can relate to it. Similar themes are Imposter, Minority Report and the like, wherein there aren't too many significant changes in weapons technology (no phasers or laser rifles, unless you went to a more Akira feel), but a nice new look to everything else. Would be an interesting environment to have a war in.

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 23 2005 Anchor

theprogrammer wrote: I just came up with this idea for an hl2 mod. It'll be a multiplayer mod, and it's basically a civil war in the united states. I'm going to create this mod, hopefully, if I can pull together a team, because it'd be kind of fun to instead of having us vs middle east like cssource or us vs germany like the ww2 mods, how about us vs us? dmocrats vs republicans. I mean, minus the guns and such, that's how the united states is anyway. I think it'll be pretty cool, and I"m going to start working on a website for it. once the website and such gets off the ground, i'll post this in mod discussion, but for now it's just an idea. any thoughts?

Thats a great idea! Unfortunately, I can't help you...

theprogrammer
Jan 23 2005 Anchor

Thanks for the nice words yall. Yeah I'm kinda pondering maybe putting it 50-100 years in the future and having some more futuristic type weapons involved... Doing concept art right now. :).

Jan 27 2005 Anchor

I had an idea like that a whiles back, hope you can make it work

--

:de: "Guns don't kill people, the government does." -Dale Gribble- (King of the Hill)

Jan 27 2005 Anchor

I had an idea like that a whiles back, hope you can make it work

--

:de: "Guns don't kill people, the government does." -Dale Gribble- (King of the Hill)

Jan 27 2005 Anchor

Dude, please get rid of that sig. It's too big :P

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

CyanideCotdPnuts
CyanideCotdPnuts Das Boot
Jan 28 2005 Anchor

Agreed.Sitting here in the middle of the night and then there is this HUGE BRIGHT RED just sitting right in front of me.

--

When there is no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.
User Posted Image
"To judge a man's character, give him power."
Moddb.com - Epidemic Mod.

chis wrote:
You can prolly sue someone for looking at you wrong in america :|

TheBladeRoden
TheBladeRoden Dark Cry Lead Developer
Jan 28 2005 Anchor

And it's dithered!

--

BANNED - kthxbye. (Cheapalert)

Jan 28 2005 Anchor

its gone, sry, im new at making them.

Edited by: Captain_Savage

--

Jan 28 2005 Anchor

Edited by: Captain_Savage

--

Jan 28 2005 Anchor

WE HAVE SILICON VALLEY!!! *lives in CA*

--

"The five best words of the English language: Oh my god, a mouse."-Mr. Blair (My history teacher)

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.