Forum Thread
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Forums : Console Gaming : Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3
Dec 2 2007 Anchor

Anybody else have this game? I've been playing online non-stop since I bought it. This is definitely the prettiest and most cinematic shooter I've played to date, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I've got it on 360, so add my gamertag Philly McBlunt if any of you want to multi. Be warned, I'm not very good. I just like to have fun. :)

Spector
Spector WWIII
Dec 2 2007 Anchor

Maybe I'll get it for Christmas, well hopefully. ;)

--

snetErz.com - Web Design
Some guy in the space time continuum.

Dec 2 2007 Anchor

Some of the best multiplayer action I've ever played, bar none! Enjoyed the experience system, where you can level all the way up to 55 as a Commander and unlock several different skills such as Martyrdom (dropping a grenade when you die) and Slight of Hand (extremely fast reload). Very, very fun. I highly recommend it. The single-player mode shouldn't be overlooked, either. Very bone-chilling stuff that you just wish you had someone next to you that you can turn towards and say, "Oh my god! Did that just happen?" I've never felt so close to my comrades in a game. Amazing game!

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Dec 3 2007 Anchor

Visually, I didn't think it was that impressive. The animation work is pretty slick, with the notable exception of 'Last Stand', where you magically rotate on your arse :lol:

I got it the day it came out. It's fairly good, we played it a lot via LAN. The unlockables / perk system is quite nice, but the game does suffer a bit from a few known flaws; for example there's a problem with some of the weapons wherein projectiles can travel straight through players without damaging them (especially the sniper rifles, which are comparatively quite poor as it is) - which can be quite game-breaking. One of the things that also annoys me is that you can use the airstrike to gain kills, in order to get the helicopter. A couple of the perks are a bit OTT, such as Double Tap which fires two shots for every one; essentially rendering a lot of weapons overcharged instagibbers. Hopefully a lot of that will be patched up fairly soon, a lot of the bigger bugs are already on IW's fix list.

I've been playing UT3 recently instead, hehe.

Edited by: ambershee

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Dec 3 2007 Anchor

I had a shot of the demo at an expo a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Once I get my new laptop it will definitely be a purchase.

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

Dec 3 2007 Anchor

ambershee wrote: Visually, I didn't think it was that impressive. The animation work is pretty slick, with the notable exception of 'Last Stand', where you magically rotate on your arse :lol:

I got it the day it came out. It's fairly good, we played it a lot via LAN. The unlockables / perk system is quite nice, but the game does suffer a bit from a few known flaws; for example there's a problem with some of the weapons wherein projectiles can travel straight through players without damaging them (especially the sniper rifles, which are comparatively quite poor as it is) - which can be quite game-breaking. One of the things that also annoys me is that you can use the airstrike to gain kills, in order to get the helicopter. A couple of the perks are a bit OTT, such as Double Tap which fires two shots for every one; essentially rendering a lot of weapons overcharged instagibbers. Hopefully a lot of that will be patched up fairly soon, a lot of the bigger bugs are already on IW's fix list.

I've been playing UT3 recently instead, hehe.

I've never had the issues of projectiles going through players or any of that. All the games I've played online have run smoothly and perfectly thus far. I think the visual are stunning, particularly the lighting and the detail in all the textures. The blood is enough to be gory without being over the top, and all of the gun sounds are crisp and very responsive.

ambershee
Dec 3 2007 Anchor

40ozFreak wrote: I've never had the issues of projectiles going through players or any of that.

Apparently, this and the ACOG scopes have been fixed in this weeks patch (if you hadn't noticed, the ACOGs had been actually 100% accurate, and it's just the crosshair overlay that moves, lol).

This is how bad they used to be;
Infinityward.com

Wilhelm_III
Wilhelm_III Who the hell do I think I am?
Dec 4 2007 Anchor

Aww man, I'm getting this for PC... Wait! Does it have that thing where PC people can play with console people using their XBL account? I read that that existed somewhere...

Dec 4 2007 Anchor

^^ It doesn't have that feature, unfortunately. It seems very few right now have that (Shadowrun is obviously one of them).

--

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Dec 4 2007 Anchor

Fantastic game, most MP fun I've had in ages. I haven't run into any game-breaking issues :)

Wilhelm_III
Dec 5 2007 Anchor

Karuto wrote: ^^ It doesn't have that feature, unfortunately. It seems very few right now have that (Shadowrun is obviously one of them).

You'd think a game like that would have it, since it had been a PC only series originally... Though I suppose the PC players might have an advantage.

Dec 6 2007 Anchor

Cross compatibility is not very common these days, so I'm not surprised that CoD4 is without it. This is indeed the most MP fun I've had in awhile too, Wraiyth.

usernamee
usernamee untitled
Dec 6 2007 Anchor

This game was a huge, MEH.

Aside from the shinny graphics and mostly smooth FPS on the PS3, there is not a single new feature. It's all been done before and better.

The singleplayer was extremely short, and the storyline was pretty flat. You didn't miss much if you skipped a cinematic.
All the weapons are way too accurate. There is virtually no recoil while using iron sights.
The multiplayer maps are all really small.
The suicide bombing and prone raping with a pistol is retarded.
The lack of a cover system is disappointing.
Also, I pity anyone with a 360, all the halo-tards are playing this now.

Essentially, they brought the COD shitfest to the modern era and failed miserably. Realism and fun don't go hand in hand, and this game falls inbetween somewhere.

It's called counter-strike. And its formula has been perfect since 2003. What's the point of releasing a clone?

Edited by: usernamee

Dec 12 2007 Anchor

worldspawn wrote: This game was a huge, MEH.

Aside from the shinny graphics and mostly smooth FPS on the PS3, there is not a single new feature. It's all been done before and better.

The singleplayer was extremely short, and the storyline was pretty flat. You didn't miss much if you skipped a cinematic.
All the weapons are way too accurate. There is virtually no recoil while using iron sights.
The multiplayer maps are all really small.
The suicide bombing and prone raping with a pistol is retarded.
The lack of a cover system is disappointing.
Also, I pity anyone with a 360, all the halo-tards are playing this now.

Essentially, they brought the COD shitfest to the modern era and failed miserably. Realism and fun don't go hand in hand, and this game falls inbetween somewhere.

It's called counter-strike. And its formula has been perfect since 2003. What's the point of releasing a clone?

I understand a couple of your gripes, but I disagree on the weapons being too accurate. Turn off aim assist and play with a different sensitivity if the game is too easy for you. The recoil isn't excessive but it's definitely there, especially on weapons with higher rates of fire.

The multiplayer maps are small in square mileage but have a keen vertical element to them. There are lots of different elevations and crevices to crawl through. I do wish a couple of them covered more ground though.

This isn't Vegas or Gears, it's not supposed to have a cover system. This is still Call of Duty, which is very similar to Medal of Honor...neither franchise has a cover system or anything tactical like that. It's all crouching and strafing.

ambershee
Dec 13 2007 Anchor

There is no recoil in mutliplayer.

Jyffeh
Jyffeh I am arch jailbird scowl.
Dec 13 2007 Anchor

worldspawn wrote: It's called counter-strike. And its formula has been perfect since 2003. What's the point of releasing a clone?

Counter-Strike is the most average game EVER.

--

User Posted Image

Yak.RUS wrote: We had a girl in my school that took LCD and now she thinks shes a balloon for the rest of her life.

l0d1z
l0d1z das uberstein
Dec 18 2007 Anchor

I love this game, I got it my ps3.. and it's a ton of fun.. I play alot of sabotage it's my favourite game mode by far.

--

<--------You will never know until you find out that it was nothing to know-------------->()()

Dec 26 2007 Anchor

ambershee wrote: There is no recoil in mutliplayer.

Right, not as much as in the campaign, but it's definitely there. If you go ape shit with full auto, especially on an RPD or a SAW, that barrel will kick right up. If you fire in smaller bursts, however, there's little to no recoil just like in real life. It's all about control. I do agree though, that it could be stronger.

Any of you guys playing multi a lot? I've been playing my ass off.

Do you play hardcore mode? When I play hardcore, the best way to run is with a silencer on your gun of choice and the UAV Jammer perk, that way you are completely invisible at all times. I've snuck up on quite a few unsuspecting foes that way. I haven't gotten the 3 grenades yet. I'm waiting for Overkill so I can stop carrying a damn pistol everywhere.

If any of you have Overkill already, what are the best gun tandems to use? Do you create classes based on purpose or just random guns you want to use at the time? I'm so excited to use two weapons.

P.S. Martyrdom is a giant flaming sack of faggotry.

Edited by: 40ozFreak

PlayerCharacter
PlayerCharacter Protagonist
Dec 26 2007 Anchor

I really enjoyed this game. I didn't mind the shortness of the SP campaign. I'd rather have a good short game than drawn-out game that gets repetitive a third of the way in. It was a blast to play and I'm glad it ended before you ended up having to fight mutant troopers or some BS.

worldspawn wrote: The lack of a cover system is disappointing.

Walk behind an object and press C to crouch, what more cover system do you need than that.

Dec 26 2007 Anchor

I hit the "Commander" General rank (55) and stopped after that. Still a great game, but my attention span is such that I'm always looking for other games to play. :)

--

Wilhelm_III
Dec 27 2007 Anchor

Karuto wrote: I hit the "Commander" General rank (55) and stopped after that. Still a great game, but my attention span is such that I'm always looking for other games to play. :)

Ahh, what is generally referred to as a "douchebag". I got this for christmas, and it's hella fun. I wish everyone didn't get it for one console or another... I'd love to play you guys. This is the problem with the game coming out on all platforms (that matter)!

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Dec 27 2007 Anchor

I have this on PS3. Stopped online at level 32 because there's just too many games out to play, but it's really great in multiplayer.

--

Icemage
---
Creating a mod requires: Creativity. Skill. Effort. Two out of three doesn't count.

usernamee
usernamee untitled
Dec 28 2007 Anchor

PlayerCharacter wrote:

worldspawn wrote: The lack of a cover system is disappointing.

Walk behind an object and press C to crouch, what more cover system do you need than that.

I don't know, maybe one that is somewhat intuitive... something that allows me to wall hug, shoot around corners, etc. You know, stuff you can do in real life, gameplay elements that slow down the game, so it's not quake 3 with shiny new graphics.

All COD 4 is a run and gun shooter. It's just Counter-Strike with great graphics and a few things tacked on.

On another note, after having played through the story again.. why the fuck did they have to basically copy the Tom Clancy formula for a damn storyline? Half the shit that happens in the singleplayer, doesn't even really make sense. Why would they blow the nuke in the middle east part of the game? Why is it that there is only ONE uber elite special forces team that has been tasked with saving the entire globe from annihilation, (this is the crap Tom Clancy uses.) I mean, wouldn't you at least send two or three more squads?

And as for the multiplayer... Rainbow 6 Vegas > COD 4.

Dec 28 2007 Anchor

worldspawn wrote: All COD 4 is a run and gun shooter. It's just Counter-Strike with great graphics and a few things tacked on.

That's perhaps the biggest understatement that I've ever read. It's a hell of a lot more deeper than Cstrike (even if I enjoy that game as well). The XP system is perhaps one of the biggest contributions to online shooters in recent memory, and that isn't an exaggeration.

Why would they drop the nuclear bomb? Because the British and US forces were about to succeed in calming down the riot mobs, nearly disrupting the entire plan that both the Russians and Al-Asad had devised. So what does a crazy man do when he's backed into a corner? Go apeshit and blow up everyone and everything for revenge. They had an entire stockpile of nuclear weapons. If anything, it makes perfect sense. Consider what will happen in the future -- the scenario is completely plausible, which made the scene all the more daunting.

As far as one uber elite special forces is concerned, this is what the CIA does. They send a small force in, below the radar, so they won't get caught. You add even more, and it becomes a real issue. Of course, if you mean later on in the game, there was definitely a whole battalion in there.

And finally, if they did add the whole shoot-around-corners bit, I feel it would lose the immersiveness of the game. This is supposed to be half realistic, half action shooter. It was never meant to be a stealth game. That's the honest truth of it all. However, we all know that if you don't use strategy, you more often times than not wind up dead. That's how I gained my ranks, by playing it smart. You don't get points by running in, guns blazing. You can get away with that in Cstrike, but not in Call of Duty 4.

That's how I feel, anyway.

Edited by: Karuto

--

usernamee
usernamee untitled
Dec 28 2007 Anchor

Karuto wrote: The XP system is perhaps one of the biggest contributions to online shooters in recent memory, and that isn't an exaggeration.

Sorta like the Halo ranking scheme? Hell, Counter-Strike had XP with the warcraft 3 addon.

I can understand the lure of being able to unlock things for your account, I play Vegas religiously after all, and that game has an XP system too.

Karuto wrote: So what does a crazy man do when he's backed into a corner? Go apeshit and blow up everyone and everything for revenge. They had an entire stockpile of nuclear weapons. If anything, it makes perfect sense.

Right. And this is based on.. uh, hmm, on the fact only two radioactive weapons have ever been used aggressively.

It's just some cheap ripoff alternate reality of the invasion of Iraq. It's like Tom Clancy raped 24 and they aborted the fetus a few months premature, that's about the best way to describe how Call of Duty 4 storyline plays out life.

Karuto wrote: And finally, if they did add the whole shoot-around-corners bit, I feel it would lose the immersiveness of the game. This is supposed to be half realistic, half action shooter. It was never meant to be a stealth game.

The use of cover adds a whole other dimension to shooter games. Instead of standing behind a wall, crouching behind a crate, or going prone in a room, a cover system allows the player to actually use the geometry of a level fairly safely for cover.

This also reduces clipping. Because seeing a player's gun model sticking into a object looks pretty damn awful.

BUT... I suppose you're right. The franchise has never really catered to the tactical shooter market. That's what I was hoping the game would play out like.

Don't get me wrong. This game is probably the best looking game out there. The textures, lighting, models and special effects are beautiful. AND it plays a smooth 60 frames a second for the PS3. What other shooter game can do that?

I just do not think the gameplay is all that. It's not revolutionary, it doesn't deserve any praise.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.