Forum Thread
by member
  Posts  
3D Artist Looking for Mod Team (Forums : 3D Modeling & Animating : 3D Artist Looking for Mod Team) Post Reply
Thread Options
3D_JUNKIE
3D_JUNKIE Environment / Prop Artist
Jul 26 2013, 3:17am Anchor

I am an 3D Environment / Prop artist with around a year and a half of experience under my belt. I would like to join an active mod team to help build up a new portfolio. Below is a list of the programs I use.

Skills:
-Autodesk Maya
-Adobe Photoshop
-Autodesk Mudbox
-Crazy Bump
-Cry Engine
-Unity 3D

Jul 26 2013, 4:43am Anchor

Tripmine studios is looking for 3D artist :). If you are interested, drop me a line so we can talk a little bit further :)

Jul 30 2013, 11:55am Anchor

Would you be interested in an indie project instead of a mod? We basically need everything; environments, items, creatures, etc... so you would get a lot to add to your portfolio!

Indiedb.com

Edited by: Cadh20000

3D_JUNKIE
3D_JUNKIE Environment / Prop Artist
Aug 2 2013, 3:38pm Anchor

Hey Cadh, I may be interested. I sent you an invite in skype so we can talk more.

--

Its not how many times you fail. Its how many times you fail and do not give up.

Aug 2 2013, 8:55pm Anchor

Accepted and replied.

Aug 3 2013, 2:44am Anchor

where can I get gwd animating software?
:)

3D_JUNKIE
3D_JUNKIE Environment / Prop Artist
Aug 3 2013, 2:46pm Anchor
Hatchet234 wrote:where can I get gwd animating software?
:)

Join the community to the following link, and download awesome programs :) Maya is the program you are looking for.

Usa.autodesk.com

Edited by: 3D_JUNKIE

--

Its not how many times you fail. Its how many times you fail and do not give up.

Aug 3 2013, 2:51pm Anchor
3D_JUNKIE wrote:
Hatchet234 wrote:where can I get gwd animating software?
:)

Join the community to the following link, and download awesome programs :) Maya is the program you are looking for.

Usa.autodesk.com


providing everyone is from USA and eligible for free student downloads...

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Aug 3 2013, 3:54pm Anchor
shadowflar3 wrote:providing everyone is from USA and eligible for free student downloads...


Being a student would be the hardest part, as otherwise it looks like its available in 129 countries. Otherwise, the Q&A was about where Hatchet234 could get software, not the entire world population :P

Aug 3 2013, 7:49pm Anchor
Cryrid wrote:
shadowflar3 wrote:providing everyone is from USA and eligible for free student downloads...


Otherwise, the Q&A was about where Hatchet234 could get software, not the entire world population :P


In that case I don't believe this fine 14-year-old Australian is either of those.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Aug 3 2013, 11:02pm Anchor

I think you missed something. The link he provided works for more than 100 countries, Austrailia included. It also works for highschool students. Hence he made a good, tailored recommendation.

Edited by: Cryrid

Aug 4 2013, 2:45am Anchor
Cryrid wrote:Hence he made a good, tailored recommendation

No he didn't. A tailored one would have had the Australian link. High school students usually aren't eligible for student licences of professional software but Autodesk seems to have enabled that.

Aug 4 2013, 2:52am Anchor

Dropped you a PM.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Aug 4 2013, 11:36am Anchor

Did you even click that link, or just make another incorrect assumption about its domain name instead of looking at its content or where its registration links might lead? 

His suggestion to take advantage of Autodesk's program is a completely valid (and recommended) one. Do a little investigation before trying to get sarcastically dismissive, I'm sure he knows what hes talking about here.  

Edited by: Cryrid

Aug 4 2013, 1:29pm Anchor

I'm just gonna ignore your delta attack provoking, repeat that he didn't make a tailored recommendation and leave it at that.

Sorry bad day but I'm usually up for disputes so make sure to try me again.

Cryrid
Cryrid 3D Artist
Aug 4 2013, 4:07pm Anchor

So you realize you were wrong, that the educational version does apply to an Australian highschool student, and that the link he provided works all the same as any other? Good, a bad day indeed. But at least you can leave it at that.

Edit: So looking at the post below me, I guess that was wrong too (since you couldn't leave it at that afterall).  I'll just send a pm instead of further congesting the wise council of this recruitment thread to ward off a repeated (and increasingly hostile, I might add) display of ignorance around a simple educational program.  

Sorry about your thread 3D_Junkie, some members of this community just don't seem to like us 'corporate-slave' Autodesk users, and it takes them a few posts to show their true colors.

Edited by: Cryrid

Aug 4 2013, 5:48pm Anchor

Can you quote the part I was wrong about? I'll throw the accusation right back at you because that's what you're asking for. While I can't prove his advice was invalid/bad (since some aspects of it are matters of opinion) how can you possibly state the recommendation was good or tailored? We see he did not tailor his advice/link to the person who asked he just grabbed a quick standard link equally viable/invalid for anyone.

I CBA to find out and type it out here how hard it is to prove you're some high school student in country X but I am positive it isn't just "fill the form and download software worth thousands of dollars for free". Moreover it is just plain wrong of people to recommend Autodesk products to newbies as if it was something they could get easily and use for free however they like which is the biggest problem in this thread.

The next biggest problem is some slave to other software corporations who is just looking for a fight instead of contributing to the community.

Edited by: shadowflar3

casf01
casf01 Rigger / tech artist
Aug 5 2013, 6:52am Anchor
shadowflar3 wrote:
X but I am positive it isn't just "fill the form and download software worth thousands of dollars for free". Moreover it is just plain wrong of people to recommend Autodesk products to newbies as if it was something they could get easily and use for free however they like which is the biggest problem in this thread.
.

Last time i downloaded something from autodesk it was like that ;). It's really easy. I'm done with school and i'm still getting those free student version very easily... Got max 2013 a few months ago... and mobu 2011
However, since it's free there are some restrictions to prevent the user from using it professionaly but I ne er had any trouble with those.

Let's face it, autodesk rule the 3d software market... Sure there are some people who use blender and modo, but overall they are'nt really used by lots of studios. So IMO learning something else than xsi, maya,max or even mobu is either a waste of time or something you will do for fun.

Edit: I don't live in the us.

Edited by: casf01

Aug 5 2013, 7:13am Anchor
casf01 wrote:
However, since it's free there are some restrictions to prevent the user from using it professionaly but I ne er had any trouble with those.

Any chance you could tell the rest of us what the restrictions are?

Quote:Let's face it, autodesk rule the 3d software market... Sure there are some people who use blender and modo, but overall they are'nt really used by lots of studios.

Sure you rule the market when the next best option is free :P If we are talking "3D software market" that includes things like architecture, movies, then the field is much wider than what is used for game industry only and you can't really say Autodesk rules it.

Quote:So IMO learning something else than xsi, maya,max or even mobu is either a waste of time or something you will do for fun.

The fact that someone using Blender/Gimp doesn't require a several thousand dollars software to get the work done is AN ASSET on the job market and I know this for a fact. Even if a studio has a history and some licences to Autodesk or whichever commercial software, if you show around with your amazing portfolio and tell them you made it on 100% free software how can they not be impressed? They can have you working without any extra investment on software licences.

Even should one go into industry standards eventually, mastering free tools also enables one to do prototyping and testing before you have the financial backers to invest into software licences to begin production. Things like that often make all the difference between fail and success.

Quote:Edit: I don't live in the us.

Neither do I ;)

Edited by: shadowflar3

casf01
casf01 Rigger / tech artist
Aug 5 2013, 10:15am Anchor
shadowflar3 wrote: The fact that someone using Blender/Gimp doesn't require a several thousand dollars software to get the work done is AN ASSET on the job market and I know this for a fact. Even if a studio has a history and some licences to Autodesk or whichever commercial software, if you show around with your amazing portfolio and tell them you made it on 100% free software how can they not be impressed? They can have you working without any extra investment on software licences.  

Even should one go into industry standards eventually, mastering free tools also enables one to do prototyping and testing before you have the financial backers to invest into software licences to begin production. Things like that often make all the difference between fail and success.



I totatally understand your point and It's a real valid point for the indies, however this  doesn't really matter for the majors studios ... Why? Because it's like that... Life's a bitch :).  Most studios already have in-house tools, switching to blender simply for the sake of prototyping isn't a good idea...  Plus studios already own a number of valid licenses.  Again I totally understand your point for and agree with it for the indie community but sadly blender and gimp have a very limited role in the majors studios.

About the restriction: The only technical rescritions that I've encountered so far  is that it prevents your from doing high-res render in 3ds max.  But I'm just a tech-artist / rigger all I need is a scripting tool, some bones and constraint...  Which seems to be never covered with those restrictions.

By the way if you know a free software to replace mobu i'd be more than happy to try it out.

Edited by: casf01

3D_JUNKIE
3D_JUNKIE Environment / Prop Artist
Aug 5 2013, 11:57pm Anchor

I was just trying to be nice. If you dont want to say your a student even if you are not. Then go to pirate bay. If he is asking about a program I doubt he will be doing commercial work so what does it matter.

--

Its not how many times you fail. Its how many times you fail and do not give up.

Aug 6 2013, 1:09am Anchor
3D_JUNKIE wrote:I was just trying to be nice. If you dont want to say your a student even if you are not. Then go to pirate bay. If he is asking about a program I doubt he will be doing commercial work so what does it matter.

True. Just wanted to point out that Autodesk does have conditions for that licence and breaking them is something I don't recommend. Also find out about the alternatives :)

Reply to Thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.