From martinho, member of the Glest Team -
I've just posted version 3.0.0-alpha1, this is a huge step for Glest,and includes an experimental version of LAN/Internet multiplayer fortest purposes.
The network game is not working properly yet (the games might getout of sync and eventually crash), however I wanted to share witheverybody the progress we made so far.
At the moment, the version is only available for windows, I'veuploaded the source code to the svn, but it hasn't been tested in linuxyet.
How to run the game:
- Download and install Glest 2.0.1 for windows
- Download the patch from here: Glest.org
- Unzip the patch in the same folder as glest, making sure that all the old files get overwritten
- One player has to host the game: go to "new game" and open some network slots
- The other players have to join by typing the IP of the host in the "join game" menu and then clicking on "connect".
- The host has to launch the game.
- If you are behind a router, you will have to use the IP of the router and redirect TCP port 61357 to your machine.
- If you enable fog of war or change any other files in the glest folder the game is more likely to get out of sync and crash.
Remember that this version is experimental, please do not complainif it doesn't work for you, we are still developing and testing it.
So thats it, we have added Glest 2.0.1 for windows and the patch in the group section and it should be available for download soon.